2 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

I am extremely concerned about next season, its the least confidence I've had going into a season. I appreciate that there is a lot of transfer business to be done but looking at the January window when our last minute signing was someone we were lucky to get shot of months previously, i am not convinced we will get that correct. 

I think the managerial appointment is shambolic and I've little confidence in anyone at the club right now to make correct decisions. If Dyers form continues into next season then theres no doubt we will be in a dogfight at the foot of the table. 

We've a threadbare squad, a manager with a very poor record so far and coming off the back of a dreadful transfer window. 

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

I said this somewhere not long ago. I was more optimistic going into the season with Jig in charge. Okay it turned out he was dreadful and we need Clarke to save us. But at least McCulloch identified and signed quite a few decent players

We just have to accept that this pre season transfer window is going to be very challenging for many clubs not just us the main aim for the majority of spfl clubs will be to survive as best they can till fans are allowed back and some kind of normality returns we won't be signing any world beaters costing loads of money that's for sure !

47 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

And the reason we didn't know at the time was that McCulloch had no clue how to use the signings he made. That suggests that there may have been more luck involved than good management! 

Or that he could spot a player, just didnt know how to utilise them

7 hours ago, historyman said:

We didn’t make the two or three astute signings you mention in the summer or in January window. It’s clear that none the funds from Taylor, the Clarke compensation and our highest placed finish for over 50 years were not re-invested in the playing squad and we all saw the consequence of that decision. Perhaps the board thought that success was easy and they didn’t need to spend. God knows where the money went though 

The club made huge mistakes not preparing for the obvious departure of Clarke and they’ve continued to make them ever since. 

Do you know for sure we got all the transfer fee up front.....or is it in instalments and depending on appearances?

In what way did they not prepare properly for the departure of Clarke?

4 minutes ago, CBFC said:

IMO it’s a fair statement to say we weren’t prepared for the departure of Clarke. It seemed obvious to everyone except the club for a while he was leaving.

One man having all the footballing power at the club isn’t necessarily a bad thing except in our situation when his departure took away all the plans and footballing knowledge. Doing what Clarke did is fine if you have his ability or more to do it. 

We waited until late in two transfer windows because that’s what he told us was best. No one actually reassessed to see if that was best for us and we got caught out twice

Whether you think he’s the right man for his job or not listening to Fowler talk you realise how threadbare things were on the football side.  

2 hours ago, gmullin88 said:

If St Mirren are going for Craig Gordon, I can't see why we shouldn't be. No thanks on Scott Fox

St. Mirren are ahead of us in selling season tickets, 1,500 sold so far, so they have that money to put towards transfers. I don't imagine St. Mirren will be the only club looking at Craig Gordon though. 

3 hours ago, piffer said:

IMO it’s a fair statement to say we weren’t prepared for the departure of Clarke. It seemed obvious to everyone except the club for a while he was leaving.

One man having all the footballing power at the club isn’t necessarily a bad thing except in our situation when his departure took away all the plans and footballing knowledge. Doing what Clarke did is fine if you have his ability or more to do it. 

We waited until late in two transfer windows because that’s what he told us was best. No one actually reassessed to see if that was best for us and we got caught out twice

Whether you think he’s the right man for his job or not listening to Fowler talk you realise how threadbare things were on the football side.  

I hear what you are saying, but I can guarantee you that signing players is very difficult sometimes, even more so when agents are involved. Apparently we had around 12 players who we tried to sign in the last few days of the window after weeks of negotiating and most of them fell through for one reason or another. I have said it before, I am no fan of agents as they mess clubs about.

4 hours ago, CBFC said:

Do you know for sure we got all the transfer fee up front.....or is it in instalments and depending on appearances?

Regardless of whether or not we got all the fee up front up front it was additional unbudgeted income and coupled with the Clarke compensation and a third place finish (neither of which would have been budgeted either) there were funds to invest in the squad. The fact that we signed loans, out of contracts or players who were nowhere near their clubs' first team squad and often hadn't played for months suggests to me the money didn't go on strengthening the team.

The fact we appointed a manager in June with less then a month to the first Europa League qualifer, sacked him in December, appointed a caretaker manager until the winter break, extended this arrangement until the end of the season and then announced a permanent appointment in June when we hadn't played for months suggests to me that we hadn't prepared properly for Clarke's departure.

2 hours ago, CBFC said:
6 hours ago, piffer said:

Criticising what you walked into is an old trick to boost your credibility and buy time. Won't wash for much longer in my opinion. Recruitment has to be better this time or bleak times await.