The all singing, all dancing, Josh Magennis transfer Megathread

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

As far as I can see we've won one point as a direct result of Josh's goals since October last year*. Persevering with him because he runs about a bit appears to be one of the reasons for our poor form.

*I'm discounting him scoring the fourth in a 4-0 win over Hamilton in April as it had no real bearing on the result.

What about the 2 he set up in the play off final? The early first goal turned the game our way and the 4th killed any falkirk fight back off.

15 minutes ago, shug said:

What about the 2 he set up in the play off final? The early first goal turned the game our way and the 4th killed any falkirk fight back off.

Nobody is saying he's never had a good game. He's had good performances, certainly. He's definitely very replaceable though. In my opinion, he's murder - but even I wouldn't say he hasn't contributed well at times.

13 minutes ago, shug said:

I'd prefer if we didn't need to get involved in the playoffs. Maybe having a striker capable of scoring the occasional meaningful goal would be a step in the right direction IMO. 

If we sell him for £300.000 up wards I'll be happy. Look at the Sammon deal it was the best piece of business at the time. The boy can play for a better team than Oldham. The boy doesn't want to go to Oldham so that's the end of that one. Lee Clark told us those of who were at meeting last night. 

10 minutes ago, Malkmus said:

I think Josh has improved greatly over the last year, the confidence he's gained playing for NI under O'Neil is there to see. I also believe he's a great asset to the club, how many other players have attracted bids, derisory or not? 

It's there to see? He's been absolutely s**te in every game since.

While he may not be easily replaceable I don't think he is irreplaceable. Consistency has been his biggest problem. Not the only one but aside from an impact sub at Clyde he's done little of note in the cup games. Hamilton away and the home leg of the playoff I'm struggling to remember a big impact in the last ten games of last season. Two performances in ten is more than most offered but not enough

I don't mean this in a bad way but similar to the Balatoni debate is he only held in such high regard by many because none of the other players have done enough to get that adulation. 

He had a very good season by his own standards last season. If you put him in another players shoes would it still be classed as a good season or would the bar be set higher.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

It's there to see? He's been absolutely s**te in every game since.

And he admitted that he was reluctant to risk injury by playing before the Euros.

He stepped up to the mark in the second leg of the play-off though.

Edited by skygod

26 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Shouldn't need scouting networks... plenty options apparently that can easily replace him for "hee haw"

That's just ridiculous. Of course you need scouting to replace a player. It's not as simple a process as craigieboy would have you believe.

Frustrating player ___yes___will we miss him if he goes ___probably___is he the  worst player we have__no__though you can see by his attitude in the last few games he doesn't want to be here so let's just say ta!ta! and wish him all the best for the future and also apologise to him for the  vile Gordon Sawyers rants which he certainly did not deserve.

47 minutes ago, historyman said:

It's been said that he will be easy to replace. On what basis is such a statement being made?

In short;

1 I don't think Josh Magennis is a very good footballer.

2 I believe there will be better footballers out there who do not currently have a club.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

In short;

1 I don't think Josh Magennis is a very good footballer.

2 I believe there will be better footballers out there who do not currently have a club.

I guess the Oldham manager should save himself some money and sign one of these better players who don't have a club then

Is Josh the best, most skilfull we have ? ....no...but performances last season have built him a reputation and means teams are scared of him so hopefully he draws the markers leaving the door opening for our marauding midfield to sneak in and score....ooopppsss - plan fail!