Richard Tait

KILMARNOCK look set to make their move for Richard Tait.

The 30-year-old left Motherwell at the end of last month after four years at Fir Park.

Defender Tait is being tracked by several top-flight sides in Scotland, with the Rugby Park outfit leading the chase.

Killie boss Alex Dyer has lost both of last season’s first-choice full-backs, with Stephen O’Donnell leaving on a free and loanee Niko Hamalainen returning to QPR.

With money tight for all Scottish clubs, versatile Tait’s ability to play at right and left-back would appeal to Dyer.

Calum Waters will return to Ayrshire to challenge for the left-back slot after his season on loan spell at St Mirren.

But experienced former Grimsby and Cambridge star Tait — who featured 142 times for Well — is believed to be high on the list of potential recruits.

Meanwhile, the Killie players will return to training on Monday after three months off following the coronavirus pandemic.

Club chiefs revealed earlier this week it will cost them around £8,000 a month to test the Rugby Park squad and coaching staff for Covid-19 twice a week.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5692073/kilmarnock-make-move-richard-tait-motherwell-exit/

Record have a one liner saying uncle Roy looking at Tait

"

County are also interested in former Motherwell defender Richard Tait.

Killie have been heavily linked with McGowan ever since his departure from Accies was confirmed." 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aaron-mcgowan-offered-ross-county-22178460

Edited by kfc_superteam

1 minute ago, Ngonge88 said:

At the moment this season is a "successfully get through the season" kind of season. A lot has gone on and its important for us to have a solid 16 players. 

I’m feeling more and more like this. Do enough to be better than three or four teams and give us some solidity to build on.

1 hour ago, Gary malcolm said:

Too old. We need to be signing players with a resale value aged under 24

That held water last year.

We can barely put out a team on the park at the moment, so an experienced Premiership defender who is also versatile should be a given.Especially one who appears to be keeping himself in excellent shape. I'm sure I heard on Off The Ball that he is a qualified personal trainer.

Just now, Scooby_Doo said:

That held water last year.

We can barely put out a team on the park at the moment, so an experienced Premiership defender who is also versatile should be a given.Especially one who appears to be keeping himself in excellent shape. I'm sure I heard on Off The Ball that he is a qualified personal trainer.

Agreed. A guy in his condition at 30 should have 4/5 years in him easy. Look at Broadfoot, at 33/34 he was strolling it. Only now at 35/36 is he starting to look like playing every week at this level might be an expectation too far.

Versatile players mean you can get by with one or two less in the squad all things being equal. Someone like Tait could effectively pay for himself viewed like that. 

I know our squad is too small just now but I hope we only add people we could confidently play in the first team for a couple of months. Beyond that in the event of an injury crisis or suspensions you need one or two youngsters who can fill in and do a job for a game or two. 

14 minutes ago, Gary malcolm said:

How many under 24 year olds do we have under contract? I've got an idea let's add more over 30s to team. Not for me thanks

Why when most if our players over 30 is where most of our quality comes from, Power, Burke, Dicker and Broadfoot at a push.

Edited by Pride_of_ayrshire

I completely agree with the point made about signing younger players, experience is essential but ,as has already been pointed out, we already have plenty of that. For me Tait would be a good signing for sure but if it’s to be one or the other out of him or McGowan I’d be concentrating on the latter. Would love to see us sign even just a couple of 23-27 year olds on 2/3 year deals so there’s at least a chance of some continuity in future seasons and not too mention the chance to develop them further for an increased sell on value. Let’s face it this season is more than likely going to be the last for the likes of Dicker and Broadfoot so why not get some younger guys in to learn from them and play along side them for this year.

52 minutes ago, Gary malcolm said:

How many under 24 year olds do we have under contract? I've got an idea let's add more over 30s to team. Not for me thanks

Brophy, Kiltie, Findlay?

What we need is players who are good enough to play. We can hope that of the guys we bring in some are of a certain age and on a certain contract but ultimately it's what they bring to the team that counts.

Edited by Fletch