Engerlund Engurland Engurland

1 minute ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I suppose that's a bit like a Bavarian being always German or Neopolitan being Italian or Flemish being Belgian etc. Not always been the case. 

That wasn't really my point. In the UK there's a tradition of conflating  geography with politics, or political union to WM.   Northern Ireland will always be British, the prime example.  Scotland leaving Britain is another.

12 minutes ago, RAG said:

That wasn't really my point. In the UK there's a tradition of conflating  geography with politics, or political union to WM.   Northern Ireland will always be British, the prime example.  Scotland leaving Britain is another.

Yeah I see what you mean. Sorry RAG. I was just thinking and at a complete tangent, in an independent Peoples Republic of Scotland all the unionists  could move to an Independent Free State of Govan. 

31 minutes ago, RAG said:

Break up britain perhaps the most common delusional rmeratelt confligatpry statement used by unionists.

But to take your point rag, the British isles also includes the whole of the island of Ireland, as well as the islans of Great Britain, etc.  Geographically the irish republic is british too, but tell that to them and prepare to get smacked in the chops, as most people dont disassociate geography with politics in the british isles, and indeed most are unable to.

39 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

But to take your point rag, the British isles also includes the whole of the island of Ireland, as well as the islans of Great Britain, etc.  Geographically the irish republic is british too, but tell that to them and prepare to get smacked in the chops, as most people dont disassociate geography with politics in the british isles, and indeed most are unable to.

I disagree completely with your Brit centric world viewpoint - well apart from the getting smacked in the chops bit!

To call Britain and Ireland, The British Isles, suggests ownership by Britain.   They did the same thing with The English Channel, but the French didn't get offended and called it, The Sleeve (La Manche) instead.

In Ireland, the term "British Isles" is controversial,[8][16] and there are objections to its usage.[17] The Government of Ireland does not officially recognise the term,[18] and its embassy in London discourages its use.[19] Britain and Ireland is used as an alternative description,[17][20][21] and Atlantic Archipelago has also seen limited use in academia. (wikipedia)

14 minutes ago, RAG said:

In Ireland, the term "British Isles" is controversial,[8][16] and there are objections to its usage.[17] The Government of Ireland does not officially recognise the term,[18] and its embassy in London discourages its use.[19] Britain and Ireland is used as an alternative description,[17][20][21] and Atlantic Archipelago has also seen limited use in academia. (wikipedia)

For me the notion of "Britain" seems to emerge from the German settlers (Angles and Saxons, hence Angleland  ...  England) being infiltrated by the Normans. English is a real mixture of Anglo-Saxon and French.  The British then went on to colonise with varying degrees of success the rest of the Atlantic Archipelago. The swallowed up all the indigenous Celtic peoples from Conwall to Wales. At that time the Scots, who were actually Irish invaders, had colonised the Picts in the north.

The "British" only fully succeeded in colonising the Northern Celts about 300 years ago and the Irish Celts even later.

This rather unstable expansionist colonisation really began to fall apart when the British had to accept US help to fend off a Germanic invasion. Unfortunately the US help was not quite as benign as it may have seemed and it turned out the US ended up relieving France, Belgium, Netherlands and others of their colonial assets as well as taking the Germans out of the game in 1945.

The disenfranchised Europeans seem to have banded together to form a Union (EU) in order to compete with the US, China and Russia. But not the "British". They are convinced that in the fullness of time they will eventually recover their rightful position as colonisers of the world. despite having already lost control of the Celtic Western Island and continuing fragmentation of their grip of the rest of the "British Isles" they seem to be convinced they will prevail and everybody will re-discover how wonderful it is to be British. 

In my view the rise of the SNP is just part of this on-going process of the disintegration of Britain. And the Westminster dream that the US will help them out again seems destined to end the same way as it did in 1945 with more humiliation.

3 hours ago, RAG said:

Northern Ireland, being on the island of Ireland, will always be Irish. 9_9

I took a DNA test, just out of interest, and was disappointed to learn that I’m 98.4% “British & Irish”. I guess it just means that my ancestors have been hanging around on “these islands” for a while, but apparently we’re all the same! 

Mrs CSI did the test too, found she’s 12.5% Scandinavian, which seems right enough - her dad’s family came from Reay in Caithness.

And yes, referring to Ireland as being in the British Isles when in Ireland would generally be ill advised, as is referring to Great Britain as “the mainland”. In fairness, my mother tells people I live in “England”, so it cuts both ways ...

I see a few of them have finally been lifted after what? Five ? solid days of threatening behaviour and violence in George Square. And  they’ve been called ‘racist thugs’ by some politicians. Pity no one had the guts to call them that when they trashed our stadium in July.