Massimo Donati

"MASSIMO DONATI is set to leave Kilmarnock with Andy Millen lined up to be named as the club's new No2.

***Sport understands the former Celtic midfielder will depart the Rugby Park side by mutual consent as Alex Dyer begins to reshape his backroom team.

The 39-year-old joined Killie last summer as part of new boss Angelo Alessio's backroom team when he replaced Steve Clarke in the managerial hotseat.

When his fellow Italian was axed by club chiefs in December, following a run of one win in eight matches, first team coach Donati stayed on to assist caretaker gaffer Dyer.

With the Scotland assistant expected to be announced as the club’s new manager this week, the ex-AC Milan star has decided it’s time for a new challenge.

His role in the dugout looks set to be taken by former Killie defender Millen.

The 55-year-old has spent the last three years as reserve team boss and will now take the step up to work with the first team.

Highly-respected Millen, who earned a Scotland B cap during his playing days at Rugby Park, has been No2 at St Mirren and Queen of the South before returning to Ayrshire in 2017.

The Kilmarnock players return to training tomorrow after more than three months out of action due to the coronavirus."

"Reshape his backroom team"! For purely economic reasons, probably. No reserve football for the time being so no point in having a reserve team manager.

Edited by skygod

7 minutes ago, piffer said:

I hope Dyer is afforded the opportunity to build his own backroom team and is not having people forced on him. He needs people he is comfortable working with and has faith in.

Surely lessons were learned by failings last season .....and the disconnect that then followed between AA and some of the coaches and then players..

As for Donatti not sure how much a loss he is, but there didn’t seem much of a partnership between him and AD ......

Edited by Scouser2

4 minutes ago, muza1962 said:

Andy Millen, does anyone remember his interview when TB left. He was almost in tears and wanted to go with Tommy. Cringeworthy! Anyway, that was a long time ago. Onwards and upwards.

Aye, an interview that to my recollection was screened a matter of hours before we played the team he was trying to engineer a move to .... years ago or not, it was disgraceful on his part.

21 minutes ago, Dundonald_Killie said:

Aye, an interview that to my recollection was screened a matter of hours before we played the team he was trying to engineer a move to .... years ago or not, it was disgraceful on his part.

Andy Millen was public enemy number one for me for over 2 decades. Hated the guy after what he did. (Loved him when he played for us and I know he didn't get on at all with Totten)

I wanted him nowhere near us when he came back, however, he's worked away quietly and seems to be doing OK and so I've let the past be exactly that.

I think he may compliment Dyer as he likes a shout and can motivate players whereas big Alex is pretty laid back to say the least.

This might be a great partnership. 

1 hour ago, piffer said:

I hope Dyer is afforded the opportunity to build his own backroom team and is not having people forced on him. He needs people he is comfortable working with and has faith in.

Well it depends whether his backroom team is going to be of a similar level to this appointment. Shambolic appointment, never even did a decent job with the reserves or player development.

An opportunity missed to bring in someone with experience to assist our rookie manager.

Can see these two taking us down next season. The Dyer appointment has inexplicably just got worse.

1 hour ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Well it depends whether his backroom team is going to be of a similar level to this appointment. Shambolic appointment, never even did a decent job with the reserves or player development.

An opportunity missed to bring in someone with experience to assist our rookie manager.

Can see these two taking us down next season. The Dyer appointment has inexplicably just got worse.

Agree with this, cheap option again, back to the pre Clarke era, nothing either of them has done managerially inspires me with confidence, hope very much that I am proved wrong otherwise in January we could be looking for another pair.

11 minutes ago, GCM said:

Agree with this, cheap option again, back to the pre Clarke era

2 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

A genuine, non confrontational question gentlemen - what appointment would you have been happy with as assistant? 

No idea the ins and outs, but if Dyer has a good relationship with Millen and thinks he works well with the players, that seems sensible? 

The same difficulties surrounding player transfers apply here - we can't hold a series of interviews, we can't bring people in on a trial period and whoever we appointed won't get a proper chance to see the whole team together on a pitch for weeks and weeks. 

Barring there being someone obvious, appointing from within doesn't seem daft to me. 

4 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

No idea the ins and outs, but if Dyer has a good relationship with Millen and thinks he works well with the players, that seems sensible? 

If Dyer has gone and thought about it and selected Millen then I’ve no complaints. If Fowler and/or the board have forced his hand then its bang out of order IMO. Dyer and quite possibly Donati we’re forced on AA and it added to a bad situation. Forcing Dyer to work with someone who may or may not have the attributes to compliment his own is not a good start.

7 minutes ago, piffer said:

Forcing Dyer to work with someone who may or may not have the attributes to compliment his own is not a good start.

And is one of the issues that got us here in the first place. Dyer should never have been forced upon AA. 

to be honest I never really felt there was much chemistry with Donati and AA/Dyer so not really that bothered or surprised by this news.