Al D Interview

Gavin Wallace

Good interview. For me he’s coming across a lot better than he was last season. Something that was commented on was did he actually want the job. You can tell in that interview he definitely does. They seem to have a clear vision of what they want to do. Challenge everyone and try to constantly improve. 

Now theres clarity on Alexs position it gives him a chance to make the job his own. Before it was all a bit in limbo. 

Sounds like between Dyer and Fowler theyre doing a lot surrounding recruitment and hopefully thats proved with more additions on top of McGowan. 

Positive so far. 

2 hours ago, piffer said:

Something that was commented on was did he actually want the job. You can tell in that interview he definitely does. 

I always thought the "he never wanted it anyway" line was massively overstated by some of our support. He was in a tough spot at the time in terms of what to say. Always reckoned his comments spoke more to his laid back demeanour than any lack of passion for the job. As you say, great to hear nonetheless. 

6 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I always thought the "he never wanted it anyway" line was massively overstated by some of our support. He was in a tough spot at the time in terms of what to say. Always reckoned his comments spoke more to his laid back demeanour than any lack of passion for the job. As you say, great to hear nonetheless. 

Agreed. At first there were definite questions whether he saw himself as a number one but I think he's just a guy who would rather do his talking with the board than the media in relation to the job.

He has since literally said he sees himself as a number one now and that he's delighted to be in the job.

So that line can surely die now?

48 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I always thought the "he never wanted it anyway" line was massively overstated by some of our support. He was in a tough spot at the time in terms of what to say. Always reckoned his comments spoke more to his laid back demeanour than any lack of passion for the job. As you say, great to hear nonetheless. 

His words were quite clear; he said he would not be putting his name forward for the job. If the board asked him if he wanted the job, he would have a decision to make.

He never said he didn't want the job.

It just seemed like an unusual stance to take and one which could have resulted in the board deciding not to offer him the position. Frankly, it looked like somebody who was not negotiating from a position of strength playing hardball. 

Maybe it was typical of his laid back demeanour, but it was one of the most vehement comments he's ever made.

But it's all academic. He's in the job and it's in the club's and our best interests that he is successful. I can't see why anyone would want otherwise.

Listening to him, he wouldn't inspire me or even hold my attention for very long but I'm not a professional footballer.

It's a results business and how you get them doesn't matter. If he and Millen can inspire winning performances from the team, we'll all be happy. How he comes over in media interviews is a very minor irrelevance.

Edited by skygod

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

His words were quite clear; he said he would not be putting his name forward for the job. If the board asked him if he wanted the job, he would have a decision to make.

He never said he didn't want the job.

It just seemed like an unusual stance to take and one which could have resulted in the board deciding not to offer him the position. Frankly, it looked somebody who was not negotiating from a position of strength playing hardball. 

"Of course, I would love to be a number one at one point but at this present time I have this job which I want to do well," said the Englishman.

"If the club turned round and said 'do you want the job?' then I will make a decision then, but I will not be putting my name down and saying I want the job."

I always read it as more about timing. I think he was saying that if the club want to let him run as interim and see how he goes then ideal. But if he put his name forward and asked them to make a decision then it could lead to a recruitment process situation with other managers where he lost both jobs, as he would be aware at that point in time they likely wouldn't just have given it to him. Maybe I'm way off though. 

More than anything, I read it as an inexperienced attempt at evading the questions, which is why I never put much stock by it. 

3 hours ago, piffer said:

Good interview. For me he’s coming across a lot better than he was last season. Something that was commented on was did he actually want the job. You can tell in that interview he definitely does. They seem to have a clear vision of what they want to do. Challenge everyone and try to constantly improve. 

I read an article a day or so back where AD mentioned he really missed being apart from the club during lockdown....

Edited by C4mmy31

My over-riding sense of the interview was positive and I was struck by the fact that Alex came across far more relaxed than previous media interviews.

There is a steely determination about him and I wish him and Andy Millen every success.

I look back at the game at Tynecastle in late October last year, when at the end of the game every Killie fan rose to a man to acclaim Alex Dyer and you could see just how much the club and support meant to him then. Goes to prove just how important it will be to get behind everyone at the club in these crazy times!

I've got a funny feeling that Alex will prove a lot of his doubters wrong listening to him he really has bought into our club and I wish him and Andy  millen all the best let's all get right behind him and the team this season ktid!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

I see Lee Johnson has been sacked by Bristol City. Sitting 12th in the Championship. Obviously this is all hypothetical as Dyer is now appointed but what a manager he would have been for us!

i thot Bristol City were going to poach dyer....  could we try get johnson as assisstant or as he's been his own man would see being a number 2 as a major drop down