Greg Stewart

Panman

When GS was here I sort of felt he was "one of us", there was always the chance we could get his signature from Birmingham, I just couldn't look at him in the same way coming from Rangers.

My preference would be for the other clubs in Scotland to ignore players that languish inside Ibrox and Celtic Park, bought purely to weaken opposition by both OF teams, they made their beds by signing for those twats, let their careers spiral out of sight.

23 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

When GS was here I sort of felt he was "one of us", there was always the chance we could get his signature from Birmingham, I just couldn't look at him in the same way coming from Rangers.

My preference would be for the other clubs in Scotland to ignore players that languish inside Ibrox and Celtic Park, bought purely to weaken opposition by both OF teams, they made their beds by signing for those twats, let their careers spiral out of sight.

The problem is, he'd fit right into our team and get the best out of Brophy. He would definitely improve our team. I'd take him back no question.

Now, Jordan Jones. That's another matter...

16 minutes ago, Ipkis said:

The problem is, he'd fit right into our team and get the best out of Brophy. He would definitely improve our team. I'd take him back no question.

You're killing your argument here. Jones would instantly improve us, get more out Brophy and would fit in to the team. (Attacking left mid we are weak).

Hes a w****r but would improve us. People just wouldn't warm to him the same as Stewart. 

32 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

If, say, Killie call Greg Taylor and say they have accepted an offer from Celtic and ask if he wants to talk to them, what is he going to say?

If it means increasing his salary tenfold, is he going to turn it down? 

If he subsequently doesn’t establish himself and wants to play first team football again, should he be frozen out of the game? Even if he is willing to take a big pay cut? 

I’ve got little time for the likes of Jack Hendry, who is happy to take the money and reject opportunities to go clubs like Killie, but not every case is the same.

29 minutes ago, Ipkis said:

Jones was one of the reason we scored goals during Clarke's time. As he was our one man counter attacking machine due to his pace. Hed slot straight back in on the left wing.

Bringing Jordan Jones back would make us a bigger laughing stock than bringing Broadfoot back or signing Osman Sow on loan did.

He had pace to burn and got us up the pitch.

Too often though he got dispossessed or his final ball was sadly lacking.

After announcing he had signed a PCA with Sevco his performances and application were s**t ( goal against them excepted)

Hibs and St Mirren away spring to mind .

Did not look interested. 

I always felt Clarke took a lot of heat off him by backing him publicly, but Jones never repaid the faith shown in him.

I'm pretty sure he wont see out his full contract at Sevco. Fully expect him to either be sent out on loan or used in a deal to attract another player for them.

26 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

You're killing your argument here. Jones would instantly improve us, get more out Brophy and would fit in to the team. (Attacking left mid we are weak).

Hes a w****r but would improve us. People just wouldn't warm to him the same as Stewart. 

Jones was overrated , Had pace and could beat a man , But his assist record with us was very poor. Won mostly free kicks. His attitude was also not great. When you listen to the interview with McGowen the other day and compare that with a Jones interview, One is a young man determined to win and one is a Boy who is only interested in himself.

23 minutes ago, skygod said:

If, say, Killie call Greg Taylor and say they have accepted an offer from Celtic and ask if he wants to talk to them, what is he going to say?

If it means increasing his salary tenfold, is he going to turn it down? 

If he subsequently doesn’t establish himself and wants to play first team football again, should he be frozen out of the game? Even if he is willing to take a big pay cut? 

I’ve got little time for the likes of Jack Hendry, who is happy to take the money and reject opportunities to go clubs like Killie, but not every case is the same.

First point Its up to Greg Taylor, he is young enough to develop, and is proving this to be the case, good luck to him.

If he does go downhill then he see's out his contract with his club(Celtic), consistently trying to be the best option for the manager to utilise.

Agree totally about Hendrie, but feel that Celtic didn't want him going elsewhere and simply tied him up without any real prospect of being their right back.

We need to look at ways to stop, or at least make it harder for the OF to simply sign everyones best players with no real prospect of "making it" with them.

Sadly Scottish football history is littered with smashing players going for the OF coin rather than gain a better path to international recognition, or to a really big team abroad.

Greg Stewart only cares about the money. Would rather have a youth player promoted than take him back. Killie got him the move he was after and he will be happy to sit and soak up the *anger* cash. A good player but a footballing mercenary. Let him rot in the reserves for an other couple of years and send his employers closer to bankruptcy.

20 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Bringing Jordan Jones back would make us a bigger laughing stock than bringing Broadfoot back or signing Osman Sow on loan did.

He had pace to burn and got us up the pitch.

Too often though he got dispossessed or his final ball was sadly lacking.

After announcing he had signed a PCA with Sevco his performances and application were s**t ( goal against them excepted)

Hibs and St Mirren away spring to mind .

Did not look interested. 

I always felt Clarke took a lot of heat off him by backing him publicly, but Jones never repaid the faith shown in him.

I'm pretty sure he wont see out his full contract at Sevco. Fully expect him to either be sent out on loan or used in a deal to attract another player for them.

Was deemed 'suprlus to requirement' in the Januar transfer window. They were looking to punt him 6 month in to his contract.

Jordan Jones transfer update as Rangers winger’s queue of suitors is lengthened by Birmingham and Hull

The Northern Ireland international only joined the Gers in the summer but is already surplus to requirements.

By Scott Burns

06:00, 30 JAN 2020

UPDATED08:38, 30 JAN 2020

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jordan-jones-birmingham-hull-city-21390525

9 minutes ago, CB said:

Was deemed 'suprlus to requirement' in the Januar transfer window. They were looking to punt him 6 month in to his contract.

There's no way hes English Championship level.

League 1 at a push although I expect clubs will look at him playing for Northern Ireland and sign him. 

As Sevco found out hes a one trick pony.

Not consistent or good enough.

34 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

We need to look at ways to stop, or at least make it harder for the OF to simply sign everyones best players with no real prospect of "making it" with them.

There is no need to look for a way - the clubs simply need to refuse offers from the OF  for their players. 

And that’s not going to happen is it? Even if the players don’t down tools, saying they “want tae play fur TommynBilly”. 

Clubs don’t make enough money through the gate or commercially to keep their best players. 

The picture was a bit different when gates were shared, but that changed and then the Bosman ruling was a bigger blow. 

You can’t stop players wanting to play for the OF who can afford to speculate on players and know that clubs are so cash-strapped they won’t hold out too hard. If they do, like Killie with Jones, they will just f**k them over and take the player for free.  

Better to concentrate on producing a conveyor belt of young players who can be sold at a good price, preferably to the EPL like Smith, or form the core of a decent team, augmented by shrewd signings. 

This seems to be the model the club is working towards.

Edited by skygod

I don’t blame players for chasing the money. It’s a short career and we are hardly paying them wages that will see them through the 30 odd years of working life they will have post-football. 

I would take Stewart back in a shot. He adds creativity and goals we’ve sorely missed the last 18 months. 

Would take Stewart back any time if his attitude was right, but if he was made available could see a number of clubs showing interest..

The whole argument re players leaving or opting to move for more money is relative, yes in an ideal world would want the better players staying on for a long time at your club and turning down any offer...but you also need to have players who are ambitious  .....as long as whilst a player is at your club they give 100% and do not down tools or treat your club in a bad way 

An Accies fan I know, one of the few they have , said that McGowan only moved to us as we offered a better deal then them......it’s all relative and way football has been for a long time .....though often skewed up in Scotland due to the poisonous 2 clubs 

3 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Sadly Scottish football history is littered with smashing players going for the OF coin rather than gain a better path to international recognition, or to a really big team abroad.

It is sad to see players leaving to go to the twisted sisters. There have been players who were good enough to play for the national team but only received caps when they joined the OF. Very much agree with the rest of your post. (Tommy Mclean being an exception)

2 hours ago, skygod said:

You can’t stop players wanting to play for the OF who can afford to speculate on players and know that clubs are so cash-strapped they won’t hold out too hard. If they do, like Killie with Jones, they will just f**k them over and take the player for free.  

Better to concentrate on producing a conveyor belt of young players who can be sold at a good price, preferably to the EPL like Smith, or form the core of a decent team, augmented by shrewd signings. 

This seems to be the model the club is working towards.

Yes agree with all the above, I actually think it does our and other’s cases more benefit to ignore the opportunities of getting some better players on loan from either OF side.

For one it affects the confidence of our young upcoming players to see their place being stolen by a player from another club. 
It also lessens the burden on the OF, gets their players match fit.

I hope we learn from COVID and  plan to develop from within.