Danny Whitehall

jazza

Kilmarnock are interested in signing Danny Whitehall, the Kilmarnock Standard can exclusively reveal.

The 24-year-old 6ft 1in English striker, who has been on trial at Rugby Park this week, was National League side Maidenhead United's top scorer last season with 13 goals in 22 starts for The Magpies.

Whitehall's former clubs include Liverpool, Rochdale, Southport and Marine FC.

He made a name for himself over the pond in the United States.

READ MORE

Kilmarnock boss Alex Dyer in Zoom unveiling as he prepares for next Rugby Park chapter

The Warrington-born striker played for Nebraska Bugeaters FC, Hastings College, SIUE Cougars and Chattanooga FC when he moved to the States.

When he signed for Maidenhead, their chief scout said: "Danny was highly recommended by new coach Eddie Keen and his father Kevin Keen, whose dad played at West Ham.

"We had to be patient as he was in at a few league clubs but when he trained with us he looked impressive thus we have brought him on board".

"A centre-forward with great confidence in front of goal and two in two is not a bad start".

Whitehall played in the same league as Nicke Kabamba who joined from Hartlepool and got off to a good start with Killie.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/kilmarnock-interested-danny-whitehall-alex-22219178

2 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

Good shout. We only have 2 strikers so we need at least one. 

2 strikersxD. Weve got 3 out and out strikers in Brophy, Kabamba and Cameron. Plus Kiltie, DT, Connell seem all capable of playing up top. Not to mention the youngster Rennie who seems to be next to breakthrough.

Edited by Pride_of_ayrshire

2 minutes ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

Decent scoring record. Good height at 6'1. 

Although i dont think strikers necessarily our problem at the moment.

It maybe says more about Dyer's commitment to the 2 up front style that the majority liked when he made that tactical switch. It was a bit of a game changer for us, so extra competition up there probably makes sense.

As much as I like El Makrini as a midfielder, if this means that we never see him play off the striker then that's a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It maybe says more about Dyer's commitment to the 2 up front style that the majority liked when he made that tactical switch. It was a bit of a game changer for us, so extra competition up there probably makes sense.

As much as I like El Makrini as a midfielder, if this means that we never see him play off the striker then that's a good thing.

Agree with the Makrini point. Angelo played him as a CAM and he never quite filled that position in. As his previous clubs all played him as a defensive midfielder.

'I knew this was make or break': Danny Whitehall was wanted by teams across the EFL after taking gamble by joining non-League Maidenhead after leaving the USA... now he's been hit by a cruel twist of fate as the coronavirus crisis means future is unclear

28975164-0-image-a-64_1590761745744.jpg

This was a make-or-break year and it was starting to take shape rather nicely for Danny Whitehall.

Back in England after becoming a college soccer star in the United States, Whitehall had burst into the team at Maidenhead United and his goals in the National League were demanding attention from many clubs at higher levels.

There were clubs from the Championship, League One and League Two monitoring the 6ft 3ins centre-forward, keen to know where he had come from and whether he might be the next Rickie Lambert or Jamie Vardy.

28975164-0-image-a-56_1590761520982.jpg Danny Whitehall made a gamble with his career this year but it was shaping up well for him

There was strong interest from clubs in the top tiers of Holland, Denmark, Sweden and Scotland, and from as far afield as Australia.

At 24, Whitehall was ready to step into professional football.

Then the coronavirus pandemic brought football to a sudden and grinding halt, and clubs in the National League voted to end the season, although they are yet to resolve exactly what will happen regarding promotion and relegation.

Whitehall's contract at Maidenhead expired at the end of April as many contracts do at that level.

He has no income and those clubs circling to sign him are unable to offer him a deal because they cannot be sure when they will next play football and have no idea what size of budget they might have to work with.

It is a cruel twist for Whitehall who was released after eight years by Liverpool at the age of 16 and released after a YTS at Rochdale at 18.

28975176-0-image-m-59_1590761590620.jpg Whitehall battling for the ball while playing for Maidenhead in the National League

His father Steve Whitehall had scored goals for a living, for six years at Rochdale and, later, at Mansfield, Oldham, Chester and Southport.

But Danny declined options in non-league and headed to the US where he studied marketing for four years at Hastings College in Nebraska and scored 93 goals in 72 games, firing them to the NAIA title in 2016.

Southend offered him a contract last year and he flew to England ready to sign at Roots Hall only to find out when he landed that Chris Powell had been sacked and the offer had disappeared.

Maidenhead boss Alan Devonshire signed him up and was rewarded as Whitehall adjusted quickly to the level and scored 14 goals in the National League.

'I knew this was make or break,' said Whitehall. 'My girlfriend Jill stayed in Nebraska and we agreed if nothing happened for me I would go back to the US at the end of this season and get a normal job.

'But if I could prove I could play at this level and was able to sign somewhere full-time she would come here and I would pursue my professional career. I'm feel I'm ready to make the step now that I've proved I can score goals in the National League.

28975166-0-image-a-57_1590761541265.jpg He worked with Maidenhead manager Alan Devonshire and had impressed under him

'But we're waiting because no-one knows what will happen with contracts. Or even what teams will be able to offer contracts.'

Maidenhead have not played since mid-March and Whitehall has been trying to keep fit while living near Warrington with his parents who are both working for the NHS.

Mum Liz is a palliative care nurse in the community, working flat out in these times of high stress, and Dad Steve is a physio.

'It's a worrying and anxious time,' said Whitehall, an ocean apart from his girlfriend with no pay coming in and his career in the balance, while concerned about his parents as they go about their work, what should have been the big break has turned into something very different. 

33 minutes ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

2 strikersxD. Weve got 3 out and out strikers in Brophy, Kabamba and Cameron. Plus Kiltie, DT, Connell seem all capable of playing up top. Not to mention the youngster Rennie who seems to be next to breakthrough.

Cameron, Connell and Rennie haven't got a Premiership start amongst them.  

Kiltie (9) and Thomas (1) have ten Premiership goals between them.

We definitely need more.