Alex Dyer Megathread™

piffer

Kilmarnock are ready to extend the managerial stay of Alex Dyer.

The Rugby Park gaffer was handed the job on an agreement until the end of this season after taking over from axed Angelo Alessio. 
Dyer’s situation has been complicated by the Covid-19 pandemic and shutdown of the Premiership. 

At this stage, it is unclear of season 2019/20 will be concluded or football will resume with a new campaign.

However, Record Sport understands that, no matter the outcome of that particular situation, Kilmarnock chiefs are keen for Dyer to remain at the helm beyond the current agreement

All matters relating to contracts for players and management have been placed on hold with the club taking the decision that all issues must go on the backburner due to the health crisis and uncertainty over the game’s return date.

But it is believed that Dyer will be given the opportunity to extend his stay as manager beyond this term when the game gets restarted with Killie hierarchy impressed at the work he has done since replacing Alessio last December.

The 54-year-old moved to Ayrshire in 2017 to become assistant to Steve Clarke and stayed at the club to work in the Italian's set-up when his old gaffer took the Scotland job.

Dyer, who is currently Scotland No.2 to Clarke, stepped up into the main role five months after Alessio left.

The Londoner kept Killie in the fight for the top-six and is now poised for an opportunity to stay in place for a longer spell whenever the game can resume.

No real surprise given the current circumstances and also previous comments by likes of BB.  Do hope any decision is confirmed ASAP so things are more organised and in place well in time for start of next season , whenever that is  .

For many the jury is still out on AD but hopefully with better recruitment and structures in place we see improvements and some good times ahead 

Difficult to know what to do for the best. As said on other posts we will find it hard to recruit players if the managerial situation is uncertain so this would at least provide some clarity.

Looking back at the compilation of this season's goals, we scored some crackers in the AA era - particularly on the breakaway - though obviously have had some much higher scoring games with AD.  AA for all that many of the games were turgid stuff definitely had us unbelievably organised defensively when you look back on it.

PS Before anyone else says it - CQN excepted

Edited by KenVaagen1984

Of course it’s paper gossip at the moment but I’d love to know the reasoning behind any decision.
I was shocked at the decision to give him the role until the end of the season. Since then it’s been ups and downs. A few good performances and a couple of shockers. IMO his popularity is doing him a lot of favours. I hope I’m wrong but look where we were with popular well liked figures in the past

This just compounds the Alessio mess! The points accumulated and the standard of football under Dyer has been dreadful.

He won’t last the season! 

Can anyone tell me anything in the games he has been in charge that suggests he should be the manager full time?

Despair!

Dreadful decision. These are difficult circumstances but he has done nowhere near enough to warrant an extended contract. 

I’d love to know how he has “impressed” the club hierarchy as have sunk from 5th to 8th and falling under his watch. 

2 minutes ago, TLC said:

I’d love to know how he has “impressed” the club hierarchy as have sunk from 5th to 8th and falling under his watch. 

“Alex Dyer understands what Kilmarnock FC is all about. He totally gets it. That’s what I like about him.

“He knows we have a budget to stick to and that we need to have a good dressing room. He is also a total gentleman.”

24 minutes ago, Greg said:

This just compounds the Alessio mess! The points accumulated and the standard of football under Dyer has been dreadful.

He won’t last the season! 

Can anyone tell me anything in the games he has been in charge that suggests he should be the manager full time?

Despair!

In fairness he has had a couple of decent results and performances. Unfortunately those have been countered by some horrific performances and poor results.

Reading @skygod post and other stuff I don’t think any decision is being made solely based on what’s happening on the park. 

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

“Alex Dyer understands what Kilmarnock FC is all about. He totally gets it. That’s what I like about him.

“He knows we have a budget to stick to and that we need to have a good dressing room. He is also a total gentleman.”

So he is a nice guy and knows we have a budget. 

Very impressive.

He got lucky the day Steve Clarke gave him a call. But for that, there's a good chance he would still be managing in non-league, if at all.

From BB's point of view, he would say that he tried going down the ambitious route in appointing AA, albeit I think they got the wrong guy.

Once bitten twice shy, better the devil you know, got our fingers burned, etc. 

We know what we will get from AD and, unfortunately, it's likely to be Bottom Six (or whatever number applies). 

Recruitment is as important as management and we were let down badly in that department. Announcing Broadfoot as a coup in January summed up our transfer dealings last season. SPFL clubs are going to suffer badly financially and the possibility of having to sell Brophy and Findlay for less than we hoped would put us in big trouble. Another inexperienced manager that we are hoping will come good doesn't exactly make me think next season will be any improvement on this season up until now. 

Edited by Wrangodog

Being honest anyone taking the Killie job after Stevie Clarke is a big task .Like McLean and Fergie they will be compared to him and expect top six as norm .Dyer done one thing right and beat Sevco he was also dreadfully unlucky not to get a result against the Dons in the cup.The team did seem to be playing a bit better though.IMHO we should have went for Gary Holt at the very start who like Clarke has his team punching well above there weight 

12 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

.Dyer done one thing right and beat Sevco he was also dreadfully unlucky not to get a result against the Dons in the cup.The team did seem to be playing a bit better though.

From the positions we were in during those games vs Aberdeen I wouldn’t say luck came into it

1 hour ago, Flood said:

We will be very lucky to play any games in 2020.

Why rush the process and give to a guy who has not delivered while on trial...

Because without a manager we might literally have nothing but boys on our books by the time it starts again?