Alex Dyer Megathread™

piffer

I'll reserve judgement on this until we see the details of any deal. If its a two three year deal I think it's fair to say its not been merited. However, if its the case that we as a club gave him our word that he would be here until the end of the season prior to the current situation, I can see why giving the guy a bit more time to judge would at least be considered the respectful thing to do. He's been good for us as assistant, giving him a deal to the end of the season then that deal being cut premature due to horrendous circumstances and automatically giving him the bullet wouldn't paint us in best light.

The devil will be in the details of this deal imo. 

30 minutes ago, piffer said:

From the positions we were in during those games vs Aberdeen I wouldn’t say luck came into it

So it was Dyers fault that a Scottish international defender gives away a penalty when the ball was heading out for a goal kick .Making a tackle like that in the closing minutes of game isn't down to the manager.

5 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

So it was Dyers fault that a Scottish international defender gives away a penalty when the ball was heading out for a goal kick .Making a tackle like that in the closing minutes of game isn't down to the manager.

Key moments in the games are obviously the players responsibility but the fact we were in winning positions for long periods and failed to see it out puts blame on the manager as well. 

2 hours ago, Pompey Exile said:

You do have to wonder what he's done to convince the board he's the man for the job?

I understand current circumstances might be a factor though

It would be good to hear in what ways the "hierarchy have been impressed" if a new deal is confirmed....

1 hour ago, Flood said:

We will be very lucky to play any games in 2020.

Why rush the process and give to a guy who has not delivered while on trial...

I agree. I would have thought the club would wait to see when and how football resumed before making any long term decision. 

At the moment we don’t even know if our next game will be 31st of season 2019-20 or the first game of season 2020-21. 

1 hour ago, piffer said:

From the positions we were in during those games vs Aberdeen I wouldn’t say luck came into it

The counter argument to that is the usual one - recruitment. If we had even one more half decent attacking player to come on and take a bit of pressure off in that game I think we would have won... 

I've got a shred of hope for Dyer if we can actually build a side properly. All very much remains to be seen. 

I do get the feeling that the season next year might be a bit of a disrupted non event anyway. If that's the case, most clubs will be glad to keep their head above water and make plans for the next season. 

Having someone liked, respected and trusted by those at the club does seem a positive in all that we are about to face in the coming months. 

3 hours ago, Greg said:

This just compounds the Alessio mess! The points accumulated and the standard of football under Dyer has been dreadful.

He won’t last the season! 

Can anyone tell me anything in the games he has been in charge that suggests he should be the manager full time?

Despair!

Beat the Huns 2-1!

3 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

The counter argument to that is the usual one - recruitment. If we had even one more half decent attacking player to come on and take a bit of pressure off in that game I think we would have won... 

There is a lot of truth in this point. Unfortunately part of this is also down to Dyer. He and Fowler have confirmed that he put a stop to deals happening.

42 minutes ago, piffer said:

There is a lot of truth in this point. Unfortunately part of this is also down to Dyer. He and Fowler have confirmed that he put a stop to deals happening.

It's a fair point, no aspect of the club came out well from that January and that has to be taken into account. 

I can't get my head around this at all. I understand that a full recruitment process atm would be difficult, but if we do give Dyer the job beyond 2019/20 without even looking elsewhere then its nothing short of a dereliction of duty. We did the same in the summer with the blase approach to bringing in a new manager when it was clear Clarke was off, which contributed to Alessio's poor start. 

Alex Dyer has done great things for Kilmarnock, and is a great guy who we all respect. But he didn't just have a few weeks to show us what he could do. He had a sustained time and the results were stark. League placing fell from what we were sitting at under AA, the alleged 'boost' that we'd get from appointing the guy the players wanted never materialised (we've done this a lot recently and it has never worked, not once), and he made numerous basic errors that cost us points and a place in the cup. The simple fact is that there are better options out there.

I was never sold on Gary Holt a year or so ago, but he's proven himself as a Premiership manager now. His contract is a year-to-year rolling one so we could get him for nothing in a months time. If Dyer "knows Killie" and how to work the budget we'd have, then surely the same can be said of Holt - he arguably knows the club better than most and has done great work with a much smaller budget.

Tommy Wright, whilst not playing the prettiest football (albeit that did change somewhat towards the end of his time) has a great track record of working miracles with small budgets. He's available for free right now, and with the Irish FA supposedly not in a rush to appoint O'Neill's successor, we could have snuck in and got him.

And that's just two of the guys that would know the game up here, before you look afield to England and beyond. If the decision to appoint Dyer is made, I'm afraid for where we could end up once all this is over. Bowie has literally said that Clarke's appointment showed him you can't scrimp when it comes to managers and he took a risk on Alessio and it didn't work - fine, it happens. But to throw the baby out with the bath water and just go for the easy option is the wrong move for me. 

Anything other than a full recruitment drive with the best manager appointed at the end of it is a dereliction of duty - that's all there is to it.

Edited by Cill Mheàrnaig

4 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

Anything other than a full recruitment drive with the best manager appointed at the end of it is a dereliction of duty - that's all there is to it.

I'd have agreed with that if it wasn't for the pandemic. 

Even if we did interviews by Zoom, you'd be appointing someone in a situation where he couldn't even meet the players for months... That's a hell of a risk on top of everything else we're about to be dealing with. 

The number one priority at the moment is ensuring we still have a Kilmarnock Fc at Christmas and still have eleven players if the league does restart. I could be wrong, but stability in management seems wise in helping that. 

I struggle to engage with any discussion on where we finish etc at the moment - Scottish football is about to have to fight tooth and nail for its existence. 

4 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I'd have agreed with that if it wasn't for the pandemic. 

Even if we did interviews by Zoom, you'd be appointing someone in a situation where he couldn't even meet the players for months... That's a hell of a risk on top of everything else we're about to be dealing with. 

The number one priority at the moment is ensuring we still have a Kilmarnock Fc at Christmas and still have eleven players if the league does restart. I could be wrong, but stability in management seems wise in helping that. 

I struggle to engage with any discussion on where we finish etc at the moment - Scottish football is about to have to fight tooth and nail for its existence. 

If the season is ended now, then you tell Dyer that once we have a concrete date for football to restart then he'll be invited for an interview. St Johnstone obviously feel they can carry out the required recruitment when its time - so why can't we?

12 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

If the season is ended now, then you tell Dyer that once we have a concrete date for football to restart then he'll be invited for an interview. St Johnstone obviously feel they can carry out the required recruitment when its time - so why can't we?

Spending the time without football without a manager seems insane to me in these circumstances. 

I think Tommy Wright is a massive red herring. I'll be very, very surprised if he's not leaving with assurances for the NI job. 

Their was not another option IMO. Loads of players with contracts that have ran out. Going to be even less money when a new season restarts and we will have to bring in young lads from reserves/youth IMO.

Apart from the top three of Celtic / Rangers and Aberdeen .......Everyone else will be beating each other anyway.

1 hour ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

I can't get my head around this at all. I understand that a full recruitment process atm would be difficult, but if we do give Dyer the job beyond 2019/20 without even looking elsewhere then its nothing short of a dereliction of duty. We did the same in the summer with the blase approach to bringing in a new manager when it was clear Clarke was off, which contributed to Alessio's poor start. 

Alex Dyer has done great things for Kilmarnock, and is a great guy who we all respect. But he didn't just have a few weeks to show us what he could do. He had a sustained time and the results were stark. League placing fell from what we were sitting at under AA, the alleged 'boost' that we'd get from appointing the guy the players wanted never materialised (we've done this a lot recently and it has never worked, not once), and he made numerous basic errors that cost us points and a place in the cup. The simple fact is that there are better options out there.

I was never sold on Gary Holt a year or so ago, but he's proven himself as a Premiership manager now. His contract is a year-to-year rolling one so we could get him for nothing in a months time. If Dyer "knows Killie" and how to work the budget we'd have, then surely the same can be said of Holt - he arguably knows the club better than most and has done great work with a much smaller budget.

Tommy Wright, whilst not playing the prettiest football (albeit that did change somewhat towards the end of his time) has a great track record of working miracles with small budgets. He's available for free right now, and with the Irish FA supposedly not in a rush to appoint O'Neill's successor, we could have snuck in and got him.

And that's just two of the guys that would know the game up here, before you look afield to England and beyond. If the decision to appoint Dyer is made, I'm afraid for where we could end up once all this is over. Bowie has literally said that Clarke's appointment showed him you can't scrimp when it comes to managers and he took a risk on Alessio and it didn't work - fine, it happens. But to throw the baby out with the bath water and just go for the easy option is the wrong move for me. 

'Nothing less than a dereliction of duty' and 'Dyer cost us the place in the cup'. 

Utter hyperbolic nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Bbk said:

More important things to worry about in our world at present than getting our knickers in a twist about speculation as to our managers position let's take a step back and concentrate on reality .

While I agree to a certain extent I think everyone on here is well aware of reality. 

No harm in coming on here for a bit of escapism. 

This is probably the most important year or two that we will have faced in our 150 years. This could easily be the end of us and many other clubs..

To get us through this we are wanting to sign up an inexperienced manager, that shrugs his shoulders when asked if he wants the job, has a dreadful win/lose ratio, no noticeable ability to change the flow of games when behind and never managed anywhere else

Absolutely dreadful decision if true