Alex Dyer Megathread™

piffer

1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

Tommy Wright won the Scottish Cup and had three fourth placed and a further top six place in six seasons. Let’s be honest, with smaller gates, that trumps Steve Clarke’s record. Should have been considered. 

True mclean but was helped with sevco not around

Given the 'churn' of managers every season I think the argument about permanent long term contracts for managers helping to attract playets to a club is overstated. 

Agree with the concerns about regression under Dyer and that any decision at this point looks risky. Don't want a repeat of last summer where just about everything went wrong and some of this has to be down to late appointment of AA. 

Come to that don't want a repeat of the January shambles either! 

I begin to suspect we just aren't competitive on player contracts though who knows where any clubs finances are going to be when football eventually restarts? Maybe on balance we are best with AA? I wouldn't have run with him but for present situation though I suspect BB was always going to. 

18 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Tommy Wright won the Scottish Cup and had three fourth placed and a further top six place in six seasons. Let’s be honest, with smaller gates, that trumps Steve Clarke’s record. Should have been considered. 

Completely agree. Who knows what Scottish football will look like next season. If it is a 14 team league, it will probably be 3 down. In such a scenario, why gamble with a rookie manager? Tommy Wright is an excellent manager and appears to be available.

1 hour ago, Boring Bob said:

Completely agree. Who knows what Scottish football will look like next season. If it is a 14 team league, it will probably be 3 down. In such a scenario, why gamble with a rookie manager? Tommy Wright is an excellent manager and appears to be available.

Tommy Wright would be excellent. He has proved himself over and over again. 

9 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Wrights record is outstanding. Over achieved almost every season. 
But who knows what Clarke could have achieved if he had stayed. His record v Old Firm was certainly miles ahead of Wright’s. 
Would be very surprised if Wright isn’t the next manager of Northern Ireland. 

Edited by historyman

9 hours ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Given the 'churn' of managers every season I think the argument about permanent long term contracts for managers helping to attract playets to a club is overstated. 

Agree with the concerns about regression under Dyer and that any decision at this point looks risky. Don't want a repeat of last summer where just about everything went wrong and some of this has to be down to late appointment of AA. 

Come to that don't want a repeat of the January shambles either! 

I begin to suspect we just aren't competitive on player contracts though who knows where any clubs finances are going to be when football eventually restarts? Maybe on balance we are best with AA? I wouldn't have run with him but for present situation though I suspect BB was always going to. 

I don't think it's the contract/longevity of the manager so much as a combination of the setup of the club and what a change in manager represents. 

Our problem, I think, is that we've fallen through the cracks a bit. 

If Livi replaced Holt with, say, Jim Duffy, you still have a clear idea of how that club is run, how they play, the sort of players they bring in and that likely wouldn't change much with a manager like Duffy (or Jim McIntyre, or Paul Hartley etc etc) . 

I imagine that would be similar with Motherwell if Robinson left and was replaced with someone who knows this league. 

We don't have that strength in our setup and a new manager would probably represent a blank slate. As a player looking at Killie you'd have no idea whether our system was likely to suit you, how things were going to run, whether there are good reports from the players etc... 

I do think that is much less of an issue if you bring in either a top class manager like Clarke or someone like Holt or Wright who are known quantities. But I don't see us making that sort of appointment at the moment. (I think the pandemic makes Holt less likely as he might want stability too) 

I think more likely for us would be someone from England with decent pedigree but still a bit of an unknown quantity. That would make us less of a safe bet than signing for clubs like Motherwell/Hibs/County that we are likely to be competing with. 

Ideally, without all that is going on, the way round it, as far as I can see, is to bring someone in who has contacts somewhere and a good idea of players to bring who they have worked with before etc. Or to appoint a known quantity if possible.

As things stand - players are likely to get glowing reports from our squad about working with Dyer, can see how his sides play and might see us as as good a bet as any in this league to play for.

11 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

I think he will be looking at a bigger job tbh.

Cant see why Tommy Wright left St.Johnstone at this particular time, without having the N.Ireland job already lined up, so no chance of getting him.

With no idea of when the season will actually start, if it is say September or October,(and it will probably be at quite short notice), if we didn't have a manager in place we would be back to scrabbling around to appoint someone like last summer.

2 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Cant see why Tommy Wright left St.Johnstone at this particular time, without having the N.Ireland job already lined up, so no chance of getting him.

With no idea of when the season will actually start, if it is say September or October,(and it will probably be at quite short notice), if we didn't have a manager in place we would be back to scrabbling around to appoint someone like last summer.

He had fallen out with the chairman over a certain persons (we now her too well) control over all matters football. 

It beggars belief why you would support her over him.

54 minutes ago, kilm53 said:

Easy option ... but the way things are at the moment we might not need a manager before Xmas :7:

Presumably like any other manager working from home at the moment AD will have a multitude of work related activities to keep him busy. Not least planning, in conjunction with the board and key staff, for any and every eventuality. So that we are prepared, when the time comes for a return to football, in whatever shape and form, the disruption caused is minimised. This should range from his input on major strategic considerations to the detail of operational matters - keeping in regular contact with players to motivate and encourage, discussing contractual issues and fitness regimes, exploring budgetary scenarios, liaising with coaches etc etc. When AD gives his soundbite views to the media I would prefer that he focussed on these aspects of his job rather than the (albeit understandable) "Safety comes before football" type quotes. We know his human side, he is a people person but that is not persuading me that he should continue as manager.

1 hour ago, Mrangel08 said:

Presumably like any other manager working from home at the moment AD will have a multitude of work related activities to keep him busy. Not least planning, in conjunction with the board and key staff, for any and every eventuality. So that we are prepared, when the time comes for a return to football, in whatever shape and form, the disruption caused is minimised. This should range from his input on major strategic considerations to the detail of operational matters - keeping in regular contact with players to motivate and encourage, discussing contractual issues and fitness regimes, exploring budgetary scenarios, liaising with coaches etc etc. When AD gives his soundbite views to the media I would prefer that he focussed on these aspects of his job rather than the (albeit understandable) "Safety comes before football" type quotes. We know his human side, he is a people person but that is not persuading me that he should continue as manager.

Very good points. With no training or matches to worry about, there should be plenty of time to strategise, identify potential signings for when we return to normal and so on. James Fowler said they are being inundated with approaches from agents, so hopefully there is a lot of good work being done.

Furloughing is like temporary leave of absence.

As long as the furloughed employee isn't providing services to, or generating revenue for their employer, I don't think there's any issue with the employer contacting the employee on such matters. 

Edited by skygod

21 hours ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

'Nothing less than a dereliction of duty' and 'Dyer cost us the place in the cup'. 

Utter hyperbolic nonsense.

Its accurate though. Bowie and the board did the same in the summer; and Dyer's multiple errors in the Aberdeen game (for example not substituting Burke when he was dead on his arse after 65 mins) helped contribute to us losing a game we should have won.

1 hour ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

Its accurate though. Bowie and the board did the same in the summer; and Dyer's multiple errors in the Aberdeen game (for example not substituting Burke when he was dead on his arse after 65 mins) helped contribute to us losing a game we should have won.

If only we had an expert like you in charge.

1 hour ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

Did it? So if he was subbed then we would definitely have won? I'd have taken him off too FWIW, but pinning the blame on Dyer here is reaching and it's just to make it fit your opinion.

The only thing you can say for certain in that game is that our best defender completely lost the head at a crucial time and cost us dearly. Dyer wouldn't have got a single bit of slack if Findlay didn't dive in. That's why nobody questioned Steve Clarke making the same type of changes almost week in week out, but Dyer is fair game it seems. 

Just a side note, can't believe with everything that's going on in the world I'm still on here ranting about THAT bloody Aberdeen game, lol. 

Edited by Dieter's Heeder

See for the people saying Dyer wasnt at fault for the Aberdeen defeat, I assume you didnt blame Alessio for Nomads defeat?

I did blame Alessio, but at the same time our 1.5 million pound left back scored a shocker of an own goal and IIRC he missed not one, but 2 big chances to put us ahead at home in the 2nd game. 

Anyway, back to the point. Dyer was a big part to blame for the Aberdeen defeat, but as were his players

37 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

See for the people saying Dyer wasnt at fault for the Aberdeen defeat, I assume you didnt blame Alessio for Nomads defeat?

Correct. I didn't want Alessio sacked either. I was then initially unhappy when Dyer was awarded the 6 month contract after poor performances against Motherwell, Rangers and a horror show at St Mirren.

Edited by Dieter's Heeder

34 minutes ago, seedsy said:

Wtf are you talking about. 

Rangers could still enter the Scottish Cup, and would no doubt of had a bigger budget than St Johnstone 

Simple St Johnstone took advantage of oldcos demise less chance of them finishing in the top 4 if oldco had still been around to qualify for european positions except scottish cup of course

Edited by killie1961
missing words

15 hours ago, killie1961 said:

Simple St Johnstone took advantage of oldcos demise less chance of them finishing in the top 4 if oldco had still been around to qualify for european positions except scottish cup of course

Was that not the case for every team.