Alex Dyer Megathread™

piffer

15 minutes ago, Kanyon said:

Results matter and so far Dyer’s have been poor along with some shambolic performance. He has my support going forward but can’t say I’m expecting much from him. Obviously this season could well be a strange one so if we recruit well then who knows.

Of course results matter.

Since he got the job properly his league record is something like 3 wins, 4 defeats and a draw. He had Celtic twice, Rangers and Aberdeen.

Edited by Fletch

58 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Of course results matter.

Since he got the job properly his league record is something like 3 wins, 4 defeats and a draw.

His record isn’t very good so far so he’s got the the chance to change that. It will be important for him and the team that we get off to a good start and get a few wins. Could have done with some league cup games to start with as I doubt there will be any friendlies 

Edited by historyman

1 minute ago, historyman said:

His record isn’t very good so far so he’s got the the chance to change that. It will be important for him and the team that we get off to a good start and get a few wins. Could have done with some league cup games to start with and I doubt There will be any friendlies 

I'm not saying it was great, the point I'm getting at was that his time as manager wasn't a shambles or appalling. It was a challenging task for anyone and he definitely came through it having made improvements.

Anyway, he made positive changes and people need to get off his case and show him a bit of support into the new season.

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The "team in 5th thing" is Lee Clark logic. We were in 5th with teams behind us with games in hand and on an increasingly bad run of form. 

When he took over as caretaker, we were fifth with 23 points from 18 matches.

The only team below us with a game in hand was St Johnstone, who had just 15 points from 17 matches.

I would say that we were in fifth place on merit.

We had lost the two previous matches - Livingston and Ross County, both away, Ross County to a last-minute goal.

Before that we were unbeaten in four, one win and three draws. Six points from six matches against teams below us in the table wasn't great.

It was better than the five successive defeats which followed though!

So Dyers record isnt the best. But he's had enough time to prepare during this situation. In the recent interview with Gav on killie tv he seemed ready to do the job asked. With a good pre season and a few  more decent signings I believe we will be challengers for Top 4 this season. He started if good with bring McGowan in. Lets hope for more of these quality if signings.

Enough said lets back Dyer and look forward to the new season. No point dwelling on the past.

And this topic was based on the striker we have on trial.

Edited by Pride_of_ayrshire

33 minutes ago, skygod said:

The only team below us with a game in hand was St Johnstone, who had just 15 points from 17 matches.

We had lost the two previous matches - Livingston and Ross County, both away, Ross County to a last-minute goal.

Before that we were unbeaten in four, one win and three draws. Six points from six matches against teams below us in the table wasn't great.

One of those draws was 0-0 at home to St Johnstone who at that time were still a poor side.  If Alessio had us in 5th on merit, we should have tanked them. Instead we were completely toothless and played a type of football that made my eyes bleed. The rot had well and truly set in and it is foolish to think we were going to stay in 5th without an overhaul of the squad in January. 

1 hour ago, theboyjohnston said:

One of those draws was 0-0 at home to St Johnstone who at that time were still a poor side.  If Alessio had us in 5th on merit, we should have tanked them. Instead we were completely toothless and played a type of football that made my eyes bleed. The rot had well and truly set in and it is foolish to think we were going to stay in 5th without an overhaul of the squad in January. 

My point was that we were in fifth place on merit at the time. Nobody below had games in hand whereby they could overtake us as was claimed. 

Marks for style of football seldom feature in statistics! 

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I'm not saying it was great, the point I'm getting at was that his time as manager wasn't a shambles or appalling. It was a challenging task for anyone and he definitely came through it having made improvements.

Anyway, he made positive changes and people need to get off his case and show him a bit of support into the new season.

As I said, he has the chance to show he was the right choice. I really like him but I’m not sure he’s up to it. A good start could make all the difference. 

1 hour ago, historyman said:

Could have done with some league cup games to start with as I doubt there will be any friendlies 

Remains to be seen what pre season will consist of. Teams in England managed to fit in friendlies in the build up to this weeks restart. The obvious issue up here is only one league has a start date at this point.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

For discussion rather than disagreement - there's no right answer to all of this of course - the two things I personally don't think got taken into account enough with our fifth place were that all the teams below 4th were atrocious until Christmas and the points tally that had us fifth would have been 8th/9th in most seasons if you look back and do a comparison at that point in the season. 

For example, we bit Hibs just as they were at their lowest point before punting the manager, Hearts under McPhee, St Mirren when they were struggling and St Johnstone when they were spiralling towards the bottom. 

Dyer played Ross's Hibs with new signings, a rejuvenated St Johnstone, St Mirren when we had lots of key players out etc etc. (His role, whatever that was, in us not making signings goes against him of course) 

Not saying those are conclusive - but I reckon those are things that should be taken into account. 

As an aside, I also think it's why Rangers struggled in the second half of the season - things had shifted to be more like they usually are with teams playing more at their level. 

22 hours ago, Fletch said:

Appalling is a ridiculous exaggeration. Since the winter break he took us on a 9 points out of 9 run and he beat Rangers. Against Hibs we were unlucky not to win but against Hamilton we had a nightmare. A bit of naivety was shown here and there but It was perfectly average, he turned around a team that never looked like scoring to restoring a bit of performance.

Anything before the winter break was pretty much out of his hands.

He moved from playing El Makrini off Brophy to going two up front and bringing the wingers back into final third more, it got Brophy scoring.

he has a win ratio in the same category as lee Clarke, McCulloch, Johnstone, locke. 

Not Dyer's fault I have to blame the board for this one. They have chosen the cheap option again. We should had brought in a new manager to start building a new squad. 

Instead we will have Dyer till Christmas time, sack him then bring in a new manager who "we cant judge for the rest of the season as it's not his team" will be the comments on here.

Alesso was a number 2 and good at it, been a number 1 was not for him and for his first job going to s SPFL team was a joke appointment. Same with Dyer great number 2 but never been a manager, No experience at all. Most managers start in the lower leagues and work up. Few exceptions to the rule depending on the ex players fame 

Chris Burke saying in the press today that everyone in squad was happy Dyer got appointed , that AD knows the players, has a way to play that players understand and AD is aware what additions are needed.......

also saying he feels Kilmarnock are a club on the up and set to improve in the coming season...

10 minutes ago, andy123 said:

he has a win ratio in the same category as lee Clarke, McCulloch, Johnstone, locke. 

Not Dyer's fault I have to blame the board for this one. They have chosen the cheap option again. We should had brought in a new manager to start building a new squad. 

Instead we will have Dyer till Christmas time, sack him then bring in a new manager who "we cant judge for the rest of the season as it's not his team" will be the comments on here.

Alesso was a number 2 and good at it, been a number 1 was not for him and for his first job going to s SPFL team was a joke appointment. Same with Dyer great number 2 but never been a manager, No experience at all. Most managers start in the lower leagues and work up. Few exceptions to the rule depending on the ex players fame 

can you no read ?

Edited by theauldyin

Although results may not reflect so, there was massive improvement under Dyer on the park. The football was more entertaining and the players were working harder. He will have a pre-season and a full window now to shape his team and in my opinion he deserves this chance for the way he has handled the club during COVID-19. On a personal level, I think he will prove many wrong both in the transfer market and with our team performances.

1 hour ago, Scouser2 said:

Chris Burke saying in the press today that everyone in squad was happy Dyer got appointed , that AD knows the players, has a way to play that players understand and AD is aware what additions are needed.......

That's all well and good. Just a shame none of it translates in to winning football matches

19 hours ago, Guff92 said:

Dyer is the manager, rightly or wrongly. 

Can we all just support him.

This lockdown has gone to folks heid man. Give it a by.

Totally agree. I like the guy but like others I’m not sure whether he’s the right appointment. However let’s get right behind him at these difficult times, and see what happens. As we all know even bringing in an experienced Manager cannot guarantee success.

On 6/20/2020 at 1:07 PM, skygod said:

We might have been 5th but it was some of the worst football I have ever watched.

We all have to admit that we were somewhat spoiled by the SC era at our club and cling to the hope that the man he brought to us as his assistant  and with him as one of his backroom team for the national team has learned quite a lot  from working with him and I certainly give AD my full support as our new manager!

• 3 weeks later...