Working from home ....

Scouser2

So glad to be still in a job and feel sorry for those on furlough, self employed or treated badly by an Employer etc ......

for those usually in office or otherwise but now working from home .....how are others finding it after all these months ?

.any tips on keeping a poker face on long boring video meetings?

16 hours ago, Twonky65 said:

Bad management unless the employees are a bunch of chancers!

It's happening in a lot of places because folk think that they need to see people to feel part of their teams etc. when in my case, i'm fed up talking to folk all day. Our place as introduced call free times to try and stop the overload a bit. 

I've been finding it OK so far but I've been back in the office some days in the past couple of weeks and will probably go in most of the time now. Entirely voluntary but there is just about no-one else there at all so I get more peace and quiet to get on with work.

As for meetings, always voice only for us. We don't need to see each other.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, Twonky65 said:

disagree, visual communication gives a lot more than just a formal meeting, people can be at the start of mental health issues due to lockdown or working from home, team members can then look and say “I don’t think Johnny or Jenny looks very well, stressed etc” and support measures can be put in place early. 

3 hours ago, killie billies pal said:
On 6/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, Twonky65 said:

disagree, visual communication gives a lot more than just a formal meeting, people can be at the start of mental health issues due to lockdown or working from home, team members can then look and say “I don’t think Johnny or Jenny looks very well, stressed etc” and support measures can be put in place early. 

I agree that visual communication is important but enforcing staff to turn on their cameras does nothing but antagonise.

the majority of comms are done via phone, messaging and email so non visual contact is the main communication method.

my team have a 20 minute meeting each day where we encourage staff to put there camera on and “chew the fat” but it’s not mandatory. Funnily enough, when you work with staff, they are more likely to play along.

Edited by Twonky65

2 minutes ago, Killiepie said:

We were having a daily video call but my management have scraped it and only doing it when really needed. 

Makes sense.

my team have a daily catch up mostly off topic.

my management team have 2 check in calls daily at 10.30 and 16:00 just to make sure everything is ok. They are very much low priority though and last about 5 mins

works well

1 minute ago, Twonky65 said:

Makes sense.

my team have a daily catch up mostly off topic.

my management team have 2 check in calls daily at 10.30 and 16:00 just to make sure everything is ok. They are very much low priority though and last about 5 mins

works well

Ours was at 2 and pretty much the same conversation “Who is needing work” Now we just uses teams to notify our management to allocate more jobs when we need it. 

On 6/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Scouser2 said:

So glad to be still in a job and feel sorry for those on furlough, self employed or treated badly by an Employer etc ......

for those usually in office or otherwise but now working from home .....how are others finding it after all these months ?

.any tips on keeping a poker face on long boring video meetings?

The ones I know on furlough are happy