Darvel FC

On 7/23/2020 at 10:04 AM, funky monkey said:

I'm a Buffs fan and it's right to say that we never invested in our infrastructure when we had money, hence our move to KSC, so credit to Darvel for that.

The question around Darvel is, what kind of potential does the club have to support the level of investment being made? I always see Hurlford as the junior club of Kilmarnock, but despite past investment and success in the juniors, the club hasn't really grown much.

Darvel is much the same I think, unless they harness the potential of the Valley towns and potentially Kilmarnock itself, what potential is there for them to grow as a club. Obviously Talbot are the benchmark for a village club, but it's clear that the football club is the absolute focal point of the village and , in some ways, the whole village rallies around the club as it represents two fingers up to all of the negative things that have hit the town since the demise of the mines. Also, continuing and ongoing success has drawn supporters from near and far to watch Talbot, a remarkable achievement. Do Talbot have much more room for growth going into senior football, possibly not, it could be argued that they'll have the most to lose as I can't see them continuing to enjoy the same level of success in the new structure.

On to my own club, we've now had a year at KSC and the committee are working wonders to improve upon the infrastructure at the club for the benefit of the community as a whole. Kilwinning has a population circa 25000 so plenty of potential in terms of increasing the supporter base. The club has developed a pathway for all levels of football at KSC where all boys clubs play with a Buffs jersey on. Sponsors are wanting to invest in the club because they can see a great project emerging. This included free season tickets for all primary school age kids in the town last season.

The new structure is certainly an exciting development and the move away from junior to senior will almost certainly raise the level of ambition for many clubs. Ayrshire has a strong tradition in junior football, hopefully all of the Ayrshire clubs big and small go on to thrive in the new structure.

Also The Buffs need to sort out the current impasse with fans refusing to move to “Pennyburn”( their words not mine) along with the club. KSC is a fabulous set up , however it would be good if teams could be spread around the town, pitches in Pubby, Corsehill, Woodwynd and Dirrans are now unused.

Regarding Meadow, I feel they are slaughtered by actions from late 90’s early 00’s , currently they have a new Development team and have installed a fantastic young coach, over £7k has been raised to install floodlights at Meadow Park and covered enclosure units have been placed in areas around the pitch. All of this being financed by a forward thinking committee utilising fund raising event’s. The Social club under the stand is a very smart addition to a match day experience, something that all the juniors seem to be able to run without any issues, how can that be? Oh aye, no old firm.

21 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Also The Buffs need to sort out the current impasse with fans refusing to move to “Pennyburn”( their words not mine) along with the club. KSC is a fabulous set up , however it would be good if teams could be spread around the town, pitches in Pubby, Corsehill, Woodwynd and Dirrans are now unused.

Regarding Meadow, I feel they are slaughtered by actions from late 90’s early 00’s , currently they have a new Development team and have installed a fantastic young coach, over £7k has been raised to install floodlights at Meadow Park and covered enclosure units have been placed in areas around the pitch. All of this being financed by a forward thinking committee utilising fund raising event’s. The Social club under the stand is a very smart addition to a match day experience, something that all the juniors seem to be able to run without any issues, how can that be? Oh aye, no old firm.

For every Buffs fan that chose not to follow the club to KSC, another one has taken their place. The fan base is changing and will continue to change with the pathway creating that interest. There's not many staying away now. 

The Medda have done well following the IR issues, committee are putting the club on the right road. As a Buffs fan, good that our local rivals are on a sound footing going into the new structure. 

45 minutes ago, red_dug said:

I see Bonnyton Thistle have appeared in tier 6 alongside the juniors. 

What league were they in before the changes. I thought they were amateur?

They were in the South of Scotland League and have now joined the West of Scotland Football League.  These clubs are all now senior clubs and have left Junior football. 

3 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

They were in the South of Scotland League and have now joined the West of Scotland Football League.  These clubs are all now senior clubs and have left Junior football. 

Cheers. I'm well aware they're no longer juniors. I also knew bonnyton had never been at that level. Which was the reason I asked where they had been playing.

1 hour ago, red_dug said:

Cheers. I'm well aware they're no longer juniors. I also knew bonnyton had never been at that level. Which was the reason I asked where they had been playing.

It has caused some confusion. They were playing a tier above the juniors last season. Be interesting to see how they compete in a league that will see up to 7 clubs relegated after the end of the first season. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Big sexy said:

Whats happened to the pitch

They are installing a new state of the art grass pitch, irrigation and drainage system. Work starts in the next week or so....

On a side note.... They've just loaned Meggat, Kilpatrick & Allan to Stirling Albion and another to Albion Rovers till the end of the season ? ?

Edited by C4mmy31