Transfer July open

Craigieboy

1 minute ago, kfc_superteam said:

I have wondered why we seem to struggle to attract players. Likely a big reason is the pitch, even if you take the science away that it doesn't cause injuries compared to grass... the bottom line is players don't like it. 

I also think we struggle to persuade players to come. I like Dyer, he seems a really nice guy.. but there is a reason that Mcinnes, Robinson at Motherwell and to a certain extent Goodwin at St Mirren get players, they sell the club and pester the players by phoning them which in turn seems to get the quote from them 'It was clear the manager really wanted me' when they signed. 

Lee McCulloch and Gary Locke were similar and seemed to be able to attract players and they signed for them. They just couldn't manage and in Gary's case he signed some dross but he did get Boydy back. 

That fact we managed to sign McGowan disproves what you’ve just said. He would have been wanted by far more clubs than Shaughessy and he’s signed to play for us. 

It should be JF’s job to sell the club and I expect he does a good job of it. 

AD just needs to sound enthusiastic about wanting the player and how he sees him fitting into the team. 

If the pitch is an issue, and I’m sure it often is, I hope JF tells BB so he is fully aware. 

8 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

I have wondered why we seem to struggle to attract players. Likely a big reason is the pitch, even if you take the science away that it doesn't cause injuries compared to grass... the bottom line is players don't like it.

This excuse comes out every time. They need to just suck it up. Footballs evolving and the pitch is too.

Edited by Pride_of_ayrshire

We shouldn't be being beaten to players by St. Mirren other than if it's someone with an strong affinity with Paisley. If we aren't a bigger club than them we really are hanging around on the bottom rung of our league.

I know, we've had current status for nearly 30 years and sometimes that seems to have been a miraculous achievement but is it being taken for granted or, at best, seriously risked? 

29 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

I also think we struggle to persuade players to come. I like Dyer, he seems a really nice guy.. but there is a reason that Mcinnes, Robinson at Motherwell and to a certain extent Goodwin at St Mirren get players, they sell the club and pester the players by phoning them which in turn seems to get the quote from them 'It was clear the manager really wanted me' when they signed. 

Lee McCulloch and Gary Locke were similar and seemed to be able to attract players and they signed for them. They just couldn't manage and in Gary's case he signed some dross but he did get Boydy back. 

The pitch didn’t do cause any problems to the career trajectory of Finlay, Taylor, O’Donnell, Brophy, Mulumbu, Stewart and Jones who either became internationalists or got a big money move as a result of playing on it. 
As far as I can remember Gary Locke’s signing strategy consisted of waiting outside Tynecastle to see who had been shown the door. 

Edited by historyman

Some or is it more a lot of the stories you see linking us with a player either via a journalist or on social media tend to be more fiction than fact , or in some cases a club may show interest in a player but it’s more of a back up option if other deals do not get finalised 

For us just have to hope there is genuine negotiations going on and deals close to getting done .....but as many have said been saying that every transfer window and we end up scrambling around on last day taking a punt on player well down our options list  

21 minutes ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

This excuse comes out every time. They need to just suck it up. Footballs evolving and the pitch is too.

They have been calling plastic "the future" since I left school which was not yesterday or the day before. It just looks "cheap". It says "second level", "lower league" and it is not an asset when it comes to attracting players. Everything else being equal a player with a choice between us and somewhere with grass will go with grass.

22 minutes ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

This excuse comes out every time. They need to just suck it up. 

If a player has a choice between two or more clubs, they don’t have to “suck it up”. 

They will make their decision based on a variety of criteria, one of which might be the pitch. 

I wouldn’t be an excuse, it would be be a reason for going elsewhere. 

Our playing surface is definitely a factor in players deciding whether to sign for us. We have lost out on numerous players due to the pitch over the years. Fact is most professional footballers prefer to train and play on grass. Anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.  It makes recruitment more challenging and the reason why St Mirren have beaten us to a player.

If the club has been beaten to a player they saw as a priority then its a concern, but I'm very wary of assuming too much behind it without knowing a bit more. 

From what I can see, St Mirren have basically no defence at all at the minute. If Goodwin has sold it as "come here and we'll build a defence around you" then that's a strong pitch. 

If we've seen him as a backup, couldn't offer him more than that and have chanced our arm and missed out then it's a shrug of the shoulders.

Worth noting that McGowan spoke in glowing terms about how well the club was sold to him. 

The pitch has definitely been an issue with players who have injury records. There does still seem to be some advice that it's not worth the risk for persistent injuries, whether that actually has basis in fact. 

1 hour ago, kfc_superteam said:

Chances are he would have been told he was first choice at St Mirren whereas he'd need to play himself ahead of Findlay and Broadfoot here.

He's only ok, I'm not sure he would have been anything other than a decent third choice.

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Chances are he would have been told he was first choice at St Mirren whereas he'd need to play himself ahead of Findlay and Broadfoot here.

He's only ok, I'm not sure he would have been anything other than a decent third choice.

And as a result they would likely be paying him as a first choice where we probably wouldnt

4 minutes ago, onejulianfaubert said:

Nae wingers in yet? Badly in need of some  and a creative player.

Burke, McKenzie, Kiltie, Thomas are there - 3 of which can play on either side. Wingers are probably quite far down the list just now. Goalkeeper, centre half and left back you'd imagine will be priority.

I would suspect it is money.
A couple of hundred quid a week extra on a two year deal makes a difference in a short career. 
I’m sure that for the vast majority of players outside the top levels it is money rather than the size of the club, the potential of trophies and the location that will be the deciding factor. 
And who can blame them? For us it’s a passion or a hobby for them football is their livelihood and a short one at that

Edited by historyman

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Burke, McKenzie, Kiltie, Thomas are there - 3 of which can play on either side. Wingers are probably quite far down the list just now. Goalkeeper, centre half and left back you'd imagine will be priority.

Kiltie or McKenzie play attack midfielder

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Burkes 37 coming, mckenzie has zero pace, and thomas has shown he isnt good enough for this level. Kiltie also not a winger; hes a 10. I fear for us if thats our options outwide, real lack of pace and natural ability outwide

7 minutes ago, onejulianfaubert said:

Burkes 37 coming, mckenzie has zero pace, and thomas has shown he isnt good enough for this level. Kiltie also not a winger; hes a 10. I fear for us if thats our options outwide, real lack of pace and natural ability outwide

Burke's here for this season. No reason why his form shouldn't continue.

McKenzie has proved he can play the role on either side and do the job well.

Kiltie said after returning from Dunfermline that he had been playing wide as well as up front and was able to play left or right. We don't always play a number 10, plus we have Kabamba and Brophy, so unless he wants to sit on the bench all season he will be no doubt be seen as an option out wide.

If Thomas is at the club then he will be considered as an option, whether he plays or not he will need to work for.

Edited by Fletch