Transfer July open

Craigieboy

12 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

You can't just look at what other teams have signed... we've all started with different needs. A team might have only signed 1 player but not lost many to begin with.

Look at the business St Mirren and Motherwell have done and tell me we're not behind them

Our outfield first eleven is miles stronger than St Mirren at the moment. They've only got two defenders who aren't youth players and Obika is the only real option up front who isn't pish.

Motherwell got over a million pounds more than us from league position last season and will be playing in Europe. Comparison there is a bit thin. 

Being pessimistic after the last few windows is understandable, but we're active for Bachmann, have players in on trial and did a good job with MacGowan. The time to panic is a long way off yet in this weird window. 

26 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Our outfield first eleven is miles stronger than St Mirren at the moment. They've only got two defenders who aren't youth players and Obika is the only real option up front who isn't pish.

Motherwell got over a million pounds more than us from league position last season and will be playing in Europe. Comparison there is a bit thin. 

Being pessimistic after the last few windows is understandable, but we're active for Bachmann, have players in on trial and did a good job with MacGowan. The time to panic is a long way off yet in this weird window. 

I disagree on the panic stuff. 3 weeks on saturday is our first league game. I'm not panicking yet but it's not as you say a long way off.

13 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

As piffer says, we're not just a matter of weeks into this situation - we've known for six months this was going to be the position we were in. What's Fowler been doing? If he has a list of targets, why are we failing to get them over the line?

What if they are playing for English Championship clubs? Or fringe Premiership players that have been recommended? Or can't travel due to quarantine? 

Whatever plans they had have almost certainly been massively disrupted. 

14 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

I disagree on the panic stuff. 3 weeks on saturday is our first league game. I'm not panicking yet but it's not as you say a long way off.

I know it won't be popular, but I don't think our transfer window really kicks off until the carousel properly starts with the English leagues ending. Might be proved wrong, but I suspect a lot of teams will be holding off until the latest possible point to see who's available. 

If we have to line up with:

Rogers

McGowan Broadfoot Findlay Waters 

Burke Dicker Power McKenzie 

Brophy Kabamba 

for a few match days while getting signings in then I think that would be fine. That's seven of the squad that finished third... 

15 minutes ago, piffer said:

Mikel Miller joined Rotherham. One player a lot on here would have taken. 

I’d have taken Miller Oakley and or Gogic. If Oakley is still available we should go for him. Reminded me of Boyd the way he occupies the centre backs constantly 

1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

What if they are playing for English Championship clubs? Or fringe Premiership players that have been recommended? Or can't travel due to quarantine? 

Whatever plans they had have almost certainly been massively disrupted. 

I know it won't be popular, but I don't think our transfer window really kicks off until the carousel properly starts with the English leagues ending. Might be proved wrong, but I suspect a lot of teams will be holding off until the latest possible point to see who's available. 

If we have to line up with:

Rogers

McGowan Broadfoot Findlay Waters 

Burke Dicker Power McKenzie 

Brophy Kabamba 

for a few match days while getting signings in then I think that would be fine. That's seven of the squad that finished third... 

But 3 of that 7 were in their 30’s and are now two years older. Broadfoot as first choice would be a big worry.

1 hour ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

A think for a keeper we should look at French Quentin Beunardeau. Hes a free agent after departing Desportivo Alves. Played 21 games in Liga Nos last season. Also had spells in France. At 26 wouldnt be a bad move. But am no scout for the team.

Beunardeau in kilmarnock squad  training this week?

9 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

But 3 of that 7 were in their 30’s and are now two years older. Broadfoot as first choice would be a big worry.

No argument at all, but my point was that side would be absolutely fine for a few games of it meant we were getting others in. 

37 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

Guys in their 30s who are in great condition.

It's a good enough 11 that we don't need all our signings made before a ball is kicked. As long as we have another 3 or 4 signed up and one is a goalie.

Broadfoot will probably start the season as a first choice and be phased out over the course of the season, he's the only guy I would say age is really catching up with. The guy is in tremendous condition but pace and a bad back aren't going to allow him to be a reliable first choice. The likes of Dicker and Burke are in better condition than a load of guys throughout the league 5-10 years younger than them.

Part of my fear is complacency. In pre season players should be pushing each other. A clean slate for everyone and positions up for grabs. At the moment we can basically pick the starting lineup and there are very few positions in it under threat. It will probably be like the lineup posted above. El Makrini waiting for a shot at CM, Kiltie or Thomas maybe putting pressure for the LM position. 

I believe Wes Foderingham is a free agent after leaving rangers. Could he be someone we would look at?

Also just noticed that Branescu is a free agent after being released by juventus. Could we bring him back? I know he was abit of a bomb scare with simple things but he was a big shot stopper (8 clean sheets, 6th best in league and 91 saves, 3rd most in league with only 26 appearances) and the silly mistakes could be worked on. He knows the players so could slip straight in and be a decent back up if we were to get Bachmann on loan.

Edited by MuirP