Transfer July open

Craigieboy

11 minutes ago, piffer said:

Seems we are looking at Brandon Haunstrup(not sure about my spelling) a full back from Portsmouth

At the start of December, Brandon Haunstrup was battling Lee Brown at left-back, the Academy product’s challenge championed by a growing number of supporters swayed by his finest campaign to date.

However, the 23-year-old now has a customary South Stand spot on a Pompey match day, surveying the impressive displays of Seddon during  the League One promotion push.

It has been 12 games since Haunstrup was last included in a Blues squad, despite free from injury. It’s an absence which will become permanent this summer.

Out of contract at the season’s end, the former Crookhorn College pupil will depart Fratton Park seeking the regular first-team football which Seddon is now savouring.

There is no club option, no fresh deal on the table, the only issue potentially hampering any preferred destination is likely to be training compensation, a scenario which would be rendered necessary should the Blues offer a token contract.

For the sake of his promising football career, Haunstrup must this summer depart Fratton Park – and should be accompanied with everyone’s blessing.

Since his debut in the Capital One Cup against Derby in August 2015, the approachable lad from Waterlooville has amassed 57 appearances and one goal having clambered through the Pompey ranks.

Yet, for too long, opportunity has been restricted, condemned to serve a perpetual existence as deputy to Enda Stevens, Dion Donohue and then Lee Brown. Since Seddon entered the building, he is not even regarded as a back-up.

Haunstrup has demonstrated remarkable patience, yet turns 24 in October. It is time to seek footballing fortune elsewhere.

There will, of course, be those demanding the tabling of a fresh deal to retain the talented defender, the ramping up of his weekly wage and a significant length of stay should suffice. Make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Unless Jackett can pledge the left-back spot on a permanent basis, however, an amicable parting is essential.

No doubt the Eisners will be implicated in the inevitable backlash, with Pompey’s boss bound to be the subject of angry finger pointing in his direction, most likely Mark Catlin too, it comes with the territory.

Yet let’s not forget, Haunstrup has a say in the matter, the footballer himself, capable of rational thought and strong ambition.

The attraction of playing for Pompey no longer retains its appeal when you are not actually playing. Supporters possess a regular seat in the South Stand, not fully-fit footballers.

Besides, according to Jackett, talks on a new contract are not presently taking place, while Seddon and Brown continue to surge ahead in the selection stakes.

‘Brandon has worked really hard at his fitness, but at the moment Seddon and Brown have been ahead of him, which has sort of edged him out,’ Pompey’s boss said this week.

‘He has done well in both full-back positions, he was very creative. He’s a good footballer and I wouldn't hesitate to use him if we need him.

‘But my selections in recent weeks have been Seddon and Brown and I just don’t feel we need that third left-back in or around the bench, although he has some flexibility to play other positions.

‘He is out of contract at the end of the season, but we haven’t started talking yet. It’s not something we have discussed, we’re just concentrating on the games and will pick that up at the end of the season or somewhere near it.

‘I think Brandon will keep improving, he has a good future, it has been a frustrating time for him here and he has shown glimpses, while also picked up injuries at the wrong time and that has been slightly unfortunate, it has let other people come in.

‘Even so, I do believe in him as a player. He looks fit at the moment, very, very physically fit, and shows a good attitude, particularly when you’re not getting games on the pitch.

‘I do see a good future for Brandon, definitely, but my choice and selection at the moment has been Seddon or Brown.

‘There will be a point when we do talk, it’s not right now, though. The end of the season is coming up quickly.’

There is life beyond Fratton Park, as fellow Academy graduates Conor Chaplin, Dan Butler Adam Webster will testify. Similarly, close friend Matt Clarke is excelling in the Championship with Derby.

Haunstrup has proven himself a capable League One performer, now he must become a frequent participant rather than occasional stand-in during the club’s time of need.

There should be no inquest, a witch hunt is not necessary, his inevitable departure is simply down to a footballer wishing to further his development through regular match action. The time has arrived.

Perhaps if he hadn’t sustained a meniscus tear to his right knee against Peterborough in early December, matters may have turned out differently, his first-team stint could even have been extended until the season’s end.

As it was, with Haunstrup and Brown both sidelined following operations, Jackett focused on identifying a loan replacement to fill the left-back gulf once the January window opened.

The solution was Steve Seddon, a highly-regarded young defender to have previously seen loan service with Stevenage and AFC Wimbledon.

Unquestionably, he possesses a bright future – as does Brandon Haunstrup.

I was at Wigan game in February. Lang was pretty decent. Big tall target man striker, he certainly stood out during the match. Was very good at pressing defenders. Wigan's 1st goal came from the way he put pressure on the defenders. Target man type player but decent with the ball at his feet. Would be a good move. 

14 minutes ago, piffer said:

Seems we are looking at Brandon Haunstrup(not sure about my spelling) a full back from Portsmouth

Has potential, only 23 so in the age range we seem to be targeting just now. Played in league one so a decent level that could make the step up. Seems to be versatile as he has played LB, CB and RB this season.

Just now, Scouser2 said:

Looks to be a focus on the lower league English market at the moment , and the high number of players made available ....hopefully as well as a look at in training they have been scouted previously and can add to the quality of the current squad 

Got to think Fowler would have come across some of them in his time at Sunderland and Dyer will be aware through time spent down south and contacts he still has. 

50 minutes ago, Steppskillie said:

I was at Wigan game in February. Lang was pretty decent. Big tall target man striker, he certainly stood out during the match. Was very good at pressing defenders. Wigan's 1st goal came from the way he put pressure on the defenders. Target man type player but decent with the ball at his feet. Would be a good move. 

What about Whitehall?

13 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I wonder if there's a deal agreed for a few million with Rangers for Kamberi which is funding this? 

Quite possible. Sevco have a very good track record of spending a lot of money on players who then don’t play for them. 
Just very recently there is Jones, Stewart, Docherty, Hastie, Polster and Barker to name but a few.
Anyone who thinks Gerrard is a good Manager should take a look at the massive, ineffectual squad he has assembled.  

Edited by historyman

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

Quite possible. Sevco have a very good track record of spending a lot of money on players who then don’t play for them. 
Just very recently there is Jones, Stewart, Docherty, Hastie, Polster and Barker to name but a few.
Anyone who thinks Gerrard is a good Manager should take a look at the massive, ineffectual squad he has assembled.  

I hope and believe that this guys limitations and that of his horrible club are going to be fully exposed next season. A few more decent signings and we'll be back competing with them and in all honesty we shouldn't be able to.