Transfer July open

Craigieboy

7 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

He hardly played in the last 3 months. 

How many goals and assists does Rory have? In his whole career.....

Rory is a utility man and still pops up with the odd goal and assist whilst doing the dirty work and tracking back.
jones is an out and out winger/attacker For the talent he had he should’ve had a much bigger return. 
when you compare jones to burke It’s night and day. 

If only we had another burkie 

1 minute ago, mitch14 said:

This is one the biggest thing that Jones did for us, and did better than most other players outside the top six. 

Someone at the time drew the analogy with what they do in hockey where they credit the assist before the assist - Jones did a lot of that.

By which I mean he'd get to the byline, fluff the cross, but it would go to someone who would flick it in and get an assist. Crucial part being that he got us to the byline and allowed for bodies in the box and got the oppositiondefence out of shape leaving gaps. 

That's what we don't get with anyone other than Burke in the current squad. 

It's also why we all rightly predicted that he wouldn't work at Rangers, because they need more than just getting up the pitch. 

Agree with this.

1 minute ago, PrestersKtid said:

Rory is a utility man and still pops up with the odd goal and assist whilst doing the dirty work and tracking back.
jones is an out and out winger/attacker For the talent he had he should’ve had a much bigger return. 
when you compare jones to burke It’s night and day. 

If only we had another burkie 

We all wish we had another Burke.

In this case, Jones is better than McKenzie and would improve us. Doesn’t even come close.

2 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

I’m comparing jones to our current left winger. Am hardly gonna compare assist stats with the tea lady ya bawbag.

Although she probably is more useful to be fair.

Your obsession with Rory shines through,  and next time you call.soleone a bawbag, try not looking in the mirror while doing it 

Just now, Beaker71 said:

Your obsession with Rory shines through,  and next time you call.soleone a bawbag, try not looking in the mirror while doing it 

Or I’m just saying jones is better than our current left winger, who happens to be Rory? Tell me I’m wrong.

Great comeback mate. 

9 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

I still hate him but there won’t be many better players available on our budget. Obviously I’d prefer Stewart as his departure was nothing like jones’.

I don't even know if Jones would be on our budget now. Suspect he'll end up at Stoke, Middlesbrough or a higher placed championship club. We won't be able to compete with them financially so it'll probably be a completely moot point in any case. 

He was good for us though. Assist and goals record doesn't do justice to the points he contributed towards by getting us up the park, drawing in fouls, starting attacks which led to goals etc. 

1 minute ago, Scouser2 said:

Anyhow ........
l would be very surprised if either Jones or Stewart would be currently loaned to us , unless we stumped up to pay a high % of their current wages , or by end of the window in October no other club had showed an interest 

What does give me a wee bit of hope on that front - There was an interview with the Rangers correspondent for The Athletic where he said they are really keen to clear out the dead wood in the squad are are going to be quite ruthless with it. If no one bites on Jones we could be a loan shop window. Stewart looking more likely to stay the longer they are taking not to add strikers and with Defoea injury. 

1 hour ago, Guff92 said:

We all wish we had another Burke.

In this case, Jones is better than McKenzie and would improve us. Doesn’t even come close.

McKenzie is a good player that can play a number of positions and always gives 100% but he is not a left winger. 

Call me old fashioned but I like left wingers to be able to use their left foot 

1 hour ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

Anyone know how long Eastwood could be out for. Not at panic stations yet but do we need to make a move for another keeper.

If it’s a simple pull it seems to just be a matter of rest. Six weeks? 

There was no obvious incident which could have caused such an injury. Can only assume it was while kicking.

Which raises the question of how much he has been training recently . 

I have been ultra critical of Jones. I thought he was good for us but wasn’t too bothered he left, I was annoyed at the way he left. Sadly we have not replaced him adequately, despite his flaws. 

Stewart is a brilliant footballer. If he’d have stayed that full season we maybe have finished 2nd. Again I was annoyed by how he left, although more at the clubs involved than him. 

Bottom line is these guys aren’t our mates, they  are footballers. Would they improve our squad? Massively in my opinion. I say (through gritted teeth) we swallow our pride with Jones if he’s available. Gives us badly needed pace. Stewart Is a total no brainer. 100% yes if at all possible. 

11 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

Biggest issue we haven't addressed is pace. Not sure if Pinnock is pacy or not but we have no one in the side who can get in behind or stretch a defense. Hibs through Boyle did that yesterday. 

For all of Jones' undoubted pace the thing that infuriates me with him is his reluctance to go beyond a defender without the ball. He always comes short and tries to beat his man, rather than go beyond and stretch the play.

For all his faults his pace is still something we never replaced and I'd take him back,

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Nobody was saying that when they had us at the top of the league! 

Not sure if I am reading this correctly

If you are saying Burke and McKenzie had us top of the League, then it's a bit much?

When we got to top of the League in December 2018, McKenzie had only started 2 league games and was subbed off in both

He scored only one goal, against Accies when we drew

He had some sub appearances, which were mostly very late on

5 minutes ago, Killie Conman said:

Not sure if I am reading this correctly

If you are saying Burke and McKenzie had us top of the League, then it's a bit much?

When we got to top of the League in December 2018, McKenzie had only started 2 league games and was subbed off in both

He scored only one goal, against Accies when we drew

He had some sub appearances, which were mostly very late on

These are fun facts that they won’t listen to. Stewart and Jones rightly kept him out the team. And what a team it was.