Transfer July open

Craigieboy

57 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

other than Durrant I've never seen a player like Eremenko in the stripes.

He was 10 levels above everyone in the league that year, and it was shameful that a fckn fullback from celtic got POTY.

He and Durrant (who was wasted by Watty at Greywell and should've played at a much higher level), are the best 2 players I think I will ever witness in a Killie strip.

Agree with the 3 names mentioned. Wonder what the salaries we paid these 3 guys (in today’s money)? All proven at a high level and with international experience.  Would be be able or willing to pay the salaries now that was required to get them in (TB when we were in the bottom rung of Scottish football)?

We don’t need a number 10.

We have what, 4 strikers on the books? So apart from against rangers and Celtic we can assume we will be using the 4-4-2 formation?

We need a left winger who is going to get the ball into the box and NOT be afraid to take on his man. A couple of brain cells for creativity/skill wouldn’t go a miss either. 

14 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

We have what, 4 strikers on the books? So apart from against rangers and Celtic we can assume we will be using the 4-4-2 formation?

We need a left winger who is going to get the ball into the box and NOT be afraid to take on his man. A couple of brain cells for creativity/skill wouldn’t go a miss either. 

Like Pinnock you mean?

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I think the pool will still be big enough and there will be good keepers in there but perhaps our next choice will be less informed and more of a gamble. I would have thought there will still be a lot of loan options from England and that's the route I think we need to go down.
Going for Bachmann was ambitious and would have been a fantastic signing if we had got him but there has clearly been a level of naivety on behalf of the club if Watford were able to pull out of the deal at such a late stage and leave us high and dry.
With Eastwood it's obviously been very unlucky for him to pick up such a lengthy injury although his first 45 minutes was hardly a great debut.

The concern for me is that if we are now looking at Colin Doyle from Hearts that suggests we haven't looked beyond Bachmann and Eastwood as the alternative option. I would rather that we now took a gamble on someone else as Doyle doesn't look to be the standard we need and neither does Rogers. They are both mid to late 20's and have never been regulars in the top league. As someone said the difference a good goalie can make can be very significant.

I would think there are other options too, but I don't think you can really blame the club for not having a plan C or even D. I have been critical of Fowler et al since he joined, but I don't lay any blame with them for this. If we bring Doyle in, he will be backup to Rogers. I don't have a huge problem with that

2 hours ago, Guff92 said:

Why take on your man when you can play a beautiful through ball that ends up winning us a penalty? :P 

I'm only winding you up though. I do agree that millens balls in from the right cause trouble, so if we can get the same from the left it could work well

5 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

I would think there are other options too, but I don't think you can really blame the club for not having a plan C or even D. I have been critical of Fowler et al since he joined, but I don't lay any blame with them for this. If we bring Doyle in, he will be backup to Rogers. I don't have a huge problem with that

It seems they were perhaps naive / let down by Watford on Bachmann and unlucky with Eastwood but I’ll be disappointed if we settle for the third choice goalies from last season of Aberdeen and Hearts for the next 12 weeks or more. We should be aiming for better. 

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

That’s even worse then! 
Three attempts and for various reasons sadly we don’t have a fit goalkeeper of the standard we should.  

35 isn’t old for a keeper. Buffon is still playing at the top level at 42 (and before anyone says it, I know Doyle is no Buffon) 

How about this for a crazy idea, we give CD a chance and he might just actually turn out to be a decent signing. Not as much fun as slaughtering him before his first game I know.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with a 35 year-old keeper.

I was just correcting someone who said he was mid to late twenties.

To be clear, I’m commenting on the fact that it’s even worse for him to be 35 and to have played so few first team games. I don’t think he has a great track record at all. 

19 minutes ago, historyman said:

To be clear, I’m commenting on the fact that it’s even worse for him to be 35 and to have played so few first team games. I don’t think he has a great track record at all. 

Where is the 'so few first team games' coming from?

He played 79 for Bradford, 33 for Blackpool and 31 for Birmingham for starters.