Hong Kong Chinese

Interesting the potential now of 3 million Hong Kong residents being offered UK passports. Not sure what to think of this as it flies in the face of the Tory liars immigration statements and noted Johnson cannot say where they will all live (half the population of Scotland). Of course it all goes back to the empire and Opium wars discussed recently and a sense of British guilt perhaps. 

I remember this...

20th June 1989

A NEW Hong Kong could be created on the west coast of Scotland to provide the colony's residents with a haven from the Chinese takeover, according to a radical plan put forward yesterday.

Coastal sites in Wales or Cumbria are other possible options for a new colony, says the right-wing think tank, the Adam Smith Institute.

It says Britain has a moral responsibility to help those among the 3,200,000 British passport holders frightened that recent events in

Beijing may be repeated after the 1997 handover.

There is no room in Britain's congested towns and cities and other countries would be unlikely to take a large number of refugees, argues the institute's domestic policy adviser Mr Douglas Mason.

The answer is to allow Hong Kong residents who want to leave to duplicate their enterprise economy in a brand new colony in a sparsely-populated coastal site in Britain.

In a booklet out yesterday called A Home for Enterprise, Mr Mason -- whose report on the poll tax in 1983 formed the basis for the Government's community charge -- suggests Wales, Cumbria, or Scotland.

Scotland would be particularly appropriate given its long history of liberal economic thought, its record of racial tolerance, and its strong economic growth, he says.

The 150 to 200 square miles needed would make little impact on Scotland's extensive Atlantic seaboard, adds Mr Mason, currently in Hong Kong researching the idea.

If half of those understood to be opposed to coming under Chinese rule chose to emigrate to Scotland, that would mean around one million people requiring more than 300,000 new homes, the report adds.

More than half the finance would come from the families themselves, Mr Mason estimates, but around #500m a year would be needed until 1997 to provide homes to rent for the rest.

Another #500m would be required for infrastucture such as roads and utlilities and another #250m for industrial, commercial and community facilities, in which the private sector would participate.

Any state money needed would be small compared with annual public expenditure running at some #200m and some of the capital cost should be borne by the Hong Kong government, the report suggests.

The Scottish Nationalist Party dismissed the idea, accusing the institute of regarding Scotland as a ''wilderness.''

But the small west coast island of Colonsay, population 114, showed a keen interest in the idea and said: ''Very interesting. Tell us more.''

In Edinburgh, SNP spokesman Mr Chris McLean said: ''It betrays the total contempt shown by people like the Adam Smith Institute if they view us as an unspoilt wilderness suitable for colonisation.

''We do feel very strongly that the UK should honour its obligations to Hong Kong British citizens. But to suggest you should dump them on some offshore island on the west coast is ridiculous.

''What is needed is for the UK and other countries to collectively look at how to honour their obligations, and we would like Scotland to play a part in that.''

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11920027.scotland-could-be-site-of-new-hong-kong-says-study/

I’d give them Dundee. Dundonians have had their opportunity and haven’t made the most of it. I also get the feeling the Dundonian gene pool ain’t to deep and most of the inhabitants stick to the shallow end too, if you get my meaning. Relocate the dispersed Dundonians throughout Scotland and the job is done. 

14 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Interesting notion given the current Tory clusterf**k government us only held together by the mantra that they all say no to more furriners.

Dunno, 3.2 million new gaelic speakers with bad dreams about Independence from Westminster might appeal to Boris.

5 hours ago, mackpomm said:

Dunno, 3.2 million new gaelic speakers with bad dreams about Independence from Westminster might appeal to Boris.

On the other hand, Hong Kong residents might be well aware of the pitfalls of having a government from another country, overruling the democratic will of their people and decide independence is the best route to self-determination. 

Edited by Zorro

21 minutes ago, Zorro said:

On the other hand, Hong Kong residents might be well aware of the pitfalls of having a government from another country, overruling the democratic will of their people and decide independence is the best route to self-determination. 

Hong Kong tho is Chinese though Zorro. Looks a helluva mess developing and guess who caused it........

Just now, Shropshire_killie said:

Hong Kong tho is Chinese though Zorro. Looks a helluva mess developing and guess who caused it........

It’s obvious from the numbers that a large number don’t identify as Chinese and given they’ve already been betrayed by the U.K. once, I’m not sure they’d want to take the risk again. An independent Scotland would be an ideal location for them to thrive. 

22 minutes ago, Zorro said:

It’s obvious from the numbers that a large number don’t identify as Chinese and given they’ve already been betrayed by the U.K. once, I’m not sure they’d want to take the risk again. An independent Scotland would be an ideal location for them to thrive. 

That's actually quite an exciting thought. Europe's new power house. 

20 minutes ago, Zorro said:

They weren't betrayed. The lease ran out. Where do youz get her history books or has the wet weather produced a good mushroom harvest?

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

If they find China a wee bit harsh, wait until they try leasing Barra from the Western Isles Council.

11 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

They weren't betrayed. The lease ran out. Where do youz get her history books or has the wet weather produced a good mushroom harvest?

It may be easy for you to equate people with property, but it isn’t as easy for me. The lease for Hong Kong May well have run out but the people themselves weren’t on loan from China. 

Edited by Zorro

37 minutes ago, Zorro said:

It may be easy for you to equate people with property, but it isn’t as easy for me. The lease for Hong Kong May well have run out but the people themselves weren’t on loan from China. 

As Shropshire says a helluva mess and guess who caused it?

20 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

As Shropshire says a helluva mess and guess who caused it?

The majority of their population will have been brought up in a westernized type of society I guess.  To be suddenly confronted  with the Chinese regime may be a hard pill to swallow by some, a bit like Scotland being subjugated by a larger power with huge influence over media defence and budgets etc and us rebelling against it..........oh hang on........

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

You obviously have not got a lease but unfettered Freehold on the moral high ground.

Chris Patten did well to negotiate an agreement of one country, two systems, that was meant to run until 2047. In many respects what the Chinese government has unilaterally enacted now they might just have easily done in 1997. What would we have done then? What can we do now? Send HMS Waverley laden with attack ducks? Hong Kong isn't the Falklands.

1 minute ago, Beaker71 said:

And a yoon is the one to bring up   look  look it was Scots wot did it.  Using the old  British when doing good, Scotsmen not unionist calculator.

I wouldn't blame these gentlemen. But since GDevoy and Shropshire seemed intent on reseaching the question of responsibility I thought I'd help.....

1 minute ago, mackpomm said:

I wouldn't blame these gentlemen. But since GDevoy and Shropshire seemed intent on reseaching the question of responsibility I thought I'd help.....

with the usual, no no I didn't mean to say ir was Sxora fault, but honest guv it just is.....  despite both being members of the British empire eh.

2 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

And fair does to you for that mackpomm. Yes I am very aware the "Empire" very much had Scots prominent at the helm. In a lot of ways, there was compliance but I would add also manipulation, like the highland troops being harnessed for their martial qualities. I'm not saying what happened in China was anything to be proud of. We all know we have had our fair share of folk who will sell their souls.... Many Scots embraced and continue to embrace the Union (look at that little smirking Tory s**t up in Aberdeen/Grampian. Not my preference for my country but if thats what you want peronnally then that's your call. 

20200705_132001.jpg