Football Mavericks

In an article today in the Record , Chic Charnley is rightly described  as a Football maverick, Andy Ritchie for me would be another. Both were off the cuff players , who might win a game with a moment of magic , Yet could also appear to do very little in a game. Could have played at the highest level.

I can think of a few English players like Worthington, Stan Bowles.

But i can't think of us having a Maverick at Killie. 

Ekremenko ??????????    perhaps.

Billy Murdoch on his day was sublime - as good with two feet and vision in his range of passing as any continental. His performance against Kilmarnock in 1976 was a class above anybody on the park and worth the admission money alone. Incidentally, the ticket stub I got given at Ochilview was still in shillings  (if the online shop think they've missed a trick). I don't know if it's fair to say he faded out of games but sometimes for games in a row he just didn't show.

Edit: ok I'm not sure if it was 76:2:

Edited by mackpomm
skygod

1 hour ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Willie Watters. You don't get much more maverick than generally doing nothing but winning games with outrageous goals and then telling Tommy Burns you wont go full time because your carpet fitting is doing too well. Drunk hat trick too.

Thanks a good call.

3 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

I can think of a few English players like Worthington, Stan Bowles. 

When I started watching Brentford, they had a midfield of Terry Hurlock, Chris Kamara and Stan Bowles! 

Stan had a house in the same street as the ground and, as there is a pub at either end and a bookies around the corner, he lived his life in a 200 yard radius! 

Hurlock also had a house in the same street. A coalman and window cleaner before he turned pro, he was an old-school hardmsn as anyone who remembers him at Rangers will confirm. 

Unbelievably, Kamara was the sensible one! 

6 hours ago, KFC_Macca said:

George McCluskey? 

Some weeks I thought he was Maradona but I was only about 12 so my judgement  was probably questionable!

My boss played for Morton in the 90s and said McCluskey was the most unplayable he was ever up against. Apparently one of the photos on the wall inside RP is him getting nutmegged by George. He also harps on about how he marked Henrik Larsson and didnae give him a sniff of the net so high praise indeed!

Rod Marsh and Toney Currie , Anyone heard of Robin Friday....what a wasted Talent. He was called the greatest footballer you never saw.

Who was the scouser who played for a welsh club. Heavy lad could dribble for fun and score goals.

Edited by Bigdaw

I think Friday's main club was Reading, wasn't it? I don't remember him but l've read about him. 

Was the fat Scouse left winger who played for Swansea, was a bit of a maverick, Joe Allon? 

I watched Tony Currie at QPR towards the end of his useful career. He had little mobility and no pace but, like Eremenko, he could make space in  midfield with his skill and spray passes to the likes of Clive Allen, Simon Stainrod and Micky Flanagan.

Edited by skygod

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think Friday's main club was Reading, wasn't it? I don't remember him but l've read about him. 

Was the fat Scouse left winger who played for Swansea, was a bit of a maverick, Joe Allon? 

I watched Tony Currie at QPR towards the end of his useful career. He had little mobility and no pace but, like Eremenko, he could make space in  midfield with his skill and spray passes to the likes of Clive Allen, Simon Stainrod and Micky Flanagan.

Nope not joe Allan. about 20 years ago...Amazing left foot. scored for fun. cant for the life of me think of his name.