Football Mavericks

39 minutes ago, historyman said:

I always loved watching Matthew Le Tissier. What a player, what a level of skill he had. 
I watched him in that fat old footballers programme recently and he came across as a really nice guy - unlike some of them. 

Again had a great career and a one man club. A Maverick though would have flaws that stopped him being a top star. imo

2 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

Rod Marsh and Toney Currie , Anyone heard of Robin Friday....what a wasted Talent. He was called the greatest footballer you never saw.

Who was the scouser who played for a welsh club. Heavy lad could dribble for fun and score goals.

Lee Trundle at Swansea. Watched a lot of him when I lived in Wales. Looked like a fan had wondered on the pitch by mistake then would nutmeg three players and slam in a 45 yard wonder goal. Guy was some entertainer.

The goal on there at 1:10 against Yeovil is one of the best goals I've ever seen live...the video there doesn't do it justice, the amount it moved in the air was unreal.

Edited by livvy
Late to the party

11 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

Both were off the cuff players , who might win a game with a moment of magic , Yet could also appear to do very little in a game.

If that’s the definition of a maverick then surely the much maligned Jordan Jones is a cert for that catagory? 

Edited by Bobby14

1 hour ago, historyman said:

If it’s flaws with your genius you want Old Trafford is a good place to look - George Best and Eric Cantona. 

Yeah but a true Maverick never made it to the top of the game. Look at Andy Ritchie a fantastic player , Used to give us the fear when we played Morton. Could do unbelievable things in a game.  Watch the video of Lee Trundle and you wonder how did this guy not play with a top club. Same with Stan Bowles......

Must be some reason they stayed lower League. I believe Jock Stein has said that Andy Ritchie could have been a top star for Celtic , But he did not want to wait for his chance.

12 hours ago, IMO said:

I would second George McCluskey

I absolutely loved George. So much skill and so gallus. He did a TV interview for STV not long after he joined when he was asked the reason why Killie had been on an unbeaten run. His reply was ‘Me!’

I remember him leaving two players on the ground with a hip swivel away at Celtic

I also remember him being put clean through at Easter Road in the last game of the season in 93/94 and not having the legs to keep going...added to the tension in one of the most tense 90 minutes I’ve ever watched. 

Hero.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Killie said:

I absolutely loved George. So much skill and so gallus. He did a TV interview for STV not long after he joined when he was asked the reason why Killie had been on an unbeaten run. His reply was ‘Me!’

I remember him leaving two players on the ground with a hip swivel away at Celtic

I also remember him being put clean through at Easter Road in the last game of the season in 93/94 and not having the legs to keep going...added to the tension in one of the most tense 90 minutes I’ve ever watched. 

Hero.

Here's a similar BBC interview. How come it took so long to get started? 'I was injured'

1 hour ago, Bigdaw said:

Yeah but a true Maverick never made it to the top of the game. Look at Andy Ritchie a fantastic player , Used to give us the fear when we played Morton. Could do unbelievable things in a game.  Watch the video of Lee Trundle and you wonder how did this guy not play with a top club. Same with Stan Bowles......

Must be some reason they stayed lower League. I believe Jock Stein has said that Andy Ritchie could have been a top star for Celtic , But he did not want to wait for his chance.

Stan Bowles did finish 2nd behind Liverpool with QPR and won the European Super Cup with Forest. 

If it’s someone who had it all and never achieved what they could have it would have to be Robin Friday. Would have loved to have seen more of him on film. 

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

Stan Bowles did finish 2nd behind Liverpool with QPR and won the European Super Cup with Forest. 

If it’s someone who had it all and never achieved what they could have it would have to be Robin Friday. Would have loved to have seen more of him on film. 

Frank Worthington

3 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

No way Jones did not have the ability of most mentioned on here.  Plus you can't go off the rails , If you have never been on them in the first place.....

Forget the fact he left under a cloud. He was rank rotten some weeks and the best player on the park others. Popped up with a winner against Rangers then never kicked a ball the rest a that season.