To Mask or not to mask? Why is this even a question?

Sandman396

33 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I think the mandatory requirement has come in to get the people back to work and back spending their money, after having three months of being scared s**tless by the government and media.

I agree. That and they thought they would never get compliance earlier. Now people realise a vaccine is a long way off so its masks ir risk it.

35 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Over the pond, however, it seems that wearing one makes you a communist, and people in MAGA hats will scream at you. That is weird.

And that us why it us 100% out if control in the US.

38 minutes ago, Fudger said:

No issue wearing one if they help stop the spread and make others feel more comfortable. 

I don't understand why we are only now being told to wear them. 

Because the country,  as in Scotland is being opened up and lockdown restrictions lifted.  While in lockdown mandating masks outside of healthcare or places where workers required to be protected was seen as unnecessary.  However as more people are allowed to move to kore places and further afield,  with the number of people less restricted inside as well  masks are seen as a preventive measure in the fight against a bounce back  rather than a means of reducing the infection which was lockdown.

Makes perfect sense, froma government which has seemed to take advice seriously and act accordingly in a sensible considered and cautious manner, rather than the gung ho, wtf do you know you're only a scientist, and pur Dom knows best approach from the UK incompetents.

9 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

While in lockdown mandating masks outside of healthcare or places where workers required to be protected was seen as unnecessary. 

Which doesn't make sense to those of us that just go to the supermarket once a week, during lockdown and after.

It's primary purpose, as far as I can tell, is to make the public feel better about going back out again. Which is fine, that is at least in the WHO guidance.

Just now, Jasg said:

the masks don’t bother me but the fact shop staff are the ones getting it for not enforcing the rule is the problem.Should be no mask you don’t get served instead of the shambles it is just know

My other half went to Asda the other day and there were people walking in shouting 'I've got asthma' at the poor security guard. What do you expect them to do? Test them with a spirometer?

19 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

My other half went to Asda the other day and there were people walking in shouting 'I've got asthma' at the poor security guard. What do you expect them to do? Test them with a spirometer?

If their asthma is that serious maybe they should be staying at home.

8 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Should’ve been done late feb when wee burnie knew about Covid 19 and didn’t tell us 

Everyone knew about Covid in February.  There was an acute shortage of PPE and masks at the time - they were reserved for health care.  Both governments were crapping themselves about 5-65 million folk, rushing out and purchasing the entire available mask supply for our own use.  Purchasing power of UK residents on the internet will be a lot greater than even the NHS. The science was inconclusive in Feb surrounding masks, indeed most of the coverage seemed to be about them stopping you catching the virus, when masks only stop  the spread to others.

58 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Should’ve been done late feb when wee burnie knew about Covid 19 and didn’t tell us 

12 March 2020 : Quote from Dr Jenny (minimal risk to care homes) Harries Deputy Chief Medical Officer:

“For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea” to wear a face mask in the hope of preventing infection, she added.

24 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

12 March 2020 : Quote from Dr Jenny (minimal risk to care homes) Harries Deputy Chief Medical Officer:

“For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea” to wear a face mask in the hope of preventing infection, she added.

What is wrong with that statement?

10 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

What is wrong with that statement?

It completely ignores the reason medics wear masks in most situations.  To stop the spread of viruses to others.  It also completely ignores why masks were worn in Asia in the 2 decades since SARS. To stop the spread of viruses to others.  These people are doctors man, they're not you or I off the street.  

The statement is in the interest of what was a political hot potato at the time (PPE shortages), rather than in the interests of the wider publics health.  They were terrified while scrambling to get PPE for the NHS, that the UK population would buy billions of masks online, rather than the ending up where they were most needed at the time.  If we'd had billions of masks in the country, we'd have been wearing masks long before start of July.

Edited by RAG
Friday afternoon typing

32 minutes ago, RAG said:

It completely ignores the reason medics wear masks in most situations.  To stop the spread of viruses to others.  It also completely ignores why masks were worn in Asia in the 2 decades since SARS. To stop the spread of viruses to others.  These people are doctors man, they're not you or I off the street.  

The statement is in the interest of what was a political hot potato at the time (PPE shortages), rather than in the interests of the wider publics health.  They were terrified while scrambling to get PPE for the NHS, that the UK population would buy billions of masks online, rather than the ending up where they were most needed at the time.  If we'd had billions of masks in the country, we'd have been wearing masks long before start of July.

Of course it ignores why medics wear masks.

She is specifically talking about a member of the public walking down the street (presumably outside).

5 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Of course it ignores why medics wear masks.

She is specifically talking about a member of the public walking down the street (presumably outside).

In a global health pandemic, it's not just doctors that come into contact with the sick - that's the very nature of a 'pandemic' compared to 'normality'.

You're correct in pointing out the presumably outside bit.  Although I'd argue that backs up my point of weasel words from a primarily political, rather than health viewpoint given the example  for mask wearing, is the only time in a public place there's pretty much no point in wearing one.  That's not clear messaging and in my view completely disingenuous from a chief medical officer.  How many bus drivers died in London for example during March?

2 minutes ago, RAG said:

I did answer your question, pretty thoroughly.  If you don't agree, lets not turn it into Groundhog Day on a Friday afternoon!

You didn’t. You answered a question from your own head, talking about medics and bus drivers.

I specifically asked what was wrong with a statement that says it isn't a good idea, in the interests of infection prevention, for a member of the public walking down the street to wear a face mask.

I don't see what is wrong with saying that.

1 minute ago, Scooby_Doo said:

You didn’t. You answered a question from your own head, talking about medics and bus drivers.

I specifically asked what was wrong with a statement that says it isn't a good idea, in the interests of infection prevention, for a member of the public walking down the street to wear a face mask.

I don't see what is wrong with saying that.

Nope I did answer that.

I'd argue that backs up my point of weasel words from a primarily political, rather than health viewpoint given the example  for mask wearing, is the only time in a public place there's pretty much no point in wearing one.  That's not clear messaging and in my view completely disingenuous from a chief medical officer.  How many bus drivers died in London for example during March?

5 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

So you agree that there is nothing wrong with the statement then?

No.  

I'll use a football analogy here..

Telling the public, it is not a good idea to wear facemarks (walking down the street), is a bit like Jurgen Klopp telling you there's no point in wearing studs while playing football, cos they don't improve traction (on a sprung wooden floor).