Betfred Cup

C4mmy31
Message added by Lroy

Group E: Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, Clyde, Dumbarton & Falkirk

It's good in October and November for people who don't like international weekends. Domestic Killie games to watch instead of waiting two weeks for the next fixture. If fans are allowed back will try and get to the away games to put some money back into the lower league teams we play. 

I'm surprised they have stuck with the group format this season. I would have thought with the already congested schedule it would have been a straight knock out format like the Scottish cup. Do away with the replays and have the games won and done on the first tie with extra time and penalties. But glad their will be domestic games during the boring international breaks .

1 hour ago, cammy2012 said:

Possibly. To clarify. I meant the playing group stages when there is a real possibility of a fixture pile up if we have to lockdown again.

It's a bit of a role reversal, top league clubs normally use the league section games as a pre-season warm up. This time lower league clubs will be using these games to sharpen up for their league fixtures. It does mean extra fixtures but it also means more revenue for lower league clubs at a time when they will be struggling. 

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'd also imagine Betfred would want a cut of the sponsorship money back if cancelled..... 

I suspect getting in the sponsor’s money is the most important factor in it going ahead. With possible weather problems and maybe local lockdowns it’s a bit of a gamble. 

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Do we even know who has entered I thot I heard/read it’s optional for smaller clubs ??

Everyone has opted in. 

All 42 SPFL clubs have now confirmed their participation in this season's Scottish League Cup, with the group stage kicking off on 6 October.

Clubs had been given the opportunity to opt out, with the Championship, League One and League Two operating shortened campaigns from mid-October.

The format mirrors last season's with no replays, bonus points and sides in Europe joining at the knockout phase.

The final will be played at Hampden on Sunday, 28 February.

Lowland League champions Kelty Hearts and Highland League champions Brora Rangers will be invited to take part, with a seeded and regionalised draw to follow.

The competition's October and November dates clash with international breaks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53472235

3 minutes ago, CB said:

Everyone has opted in. 

All 42 SPFL clubs have now confirmed their participation in this season's Scottish League Cup, with the group stage kicking off on 6 October.

Clubs had been given the opportunity to opt out, with the Championship, League One and League Two operating shortened campaigns from mid-October.

The format mirrors last season's with no replays, bonus points and sides in Europe joining at the knockout phase.

The final will be played at Hampden on Sunday, 28 February.

Lowland League champions Kelty Hearts and Highland League champions Brora Rangers will be invited to take part, with a seeded and regionalised draw to follow.

The competition's October and November dates clash with international breaks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53472235

Ta

In normal times after not qualifying for Europe......we would be playing the group games now and using them to get ready for the league with number of players getting game time etc....and as said few more strange results have happened because of the time it was played

This time round will be different for the Prem Teams as would be already well into a league campaign though for us will be without at least likes of Findlay , perhaps Brophy for the group games 

30 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

In normal times after not qualifying for Europe......we would be playing the group games now and using them to get ready for the league with number of players getting game time etc....and as said few more strange results have happened because of the time it was played

This time round will be different for the Prem Teams as would be already well into a league campaign though for us will be without at least likes of Findlay , perhaps Brophy for the group games 

Could be a good opportunity to give the younger players some game time.