1979 Tennant Caledonian Cup, Ibrox (Pre-Season Tourney)

skygod

3 hours ago, Allan said:

1979-80 Pre-Season tourney at Ipox.... Kille beat both West Ham & the Huns on Pens to win the Cup!

Killie beat Brighton on pens after a 1-1 draw, and Rangers after drawing 2-2. 

I think we were two down in the final with something like five minutes remaining. 

39 minutes ago, skygod said:

Killie beat Brighton on pens after a 1-1 draw, and Rangers after drawing 2-2. 

I think we were two down in the final with something like five minutes remaining. 

Yep, I remember one Rangers fan in particular being an absolute twat around the 80 minute mark, thought about leaving but decided to stay,,, his face at the end was priceless. They weren’t happy that we had ruined their wee Tourney

14 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

Yep, I remember one Rangers fan in particular being an absolute twat around the 80 minute mark, thought about leaving but decided to stay,,, his face at the end was priceless. They weren’t happy that we had ruined their wee Tourney

The Rangers players disappeared up the tunnel without waiting for their medals to be presented.

Edited by chubbs

28 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

Was a brilliant afternoon. 

5 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

I went to this with my mate, we were only around 13/14 at the time, so his dad took us, we somehow ended up in the Copeland Road end, tbf, not a peep from them at the end when we were celebrating our win.....

Edited by C4mmy31

2 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

We were right next to the tunnel at The Broomloan side, quite a few of us but still surrounded by them, mostly good banter tbh, but one or two are simply beyond parody and cannot understand that people can support other clubs.

One or two there still deluded that people support other teams

5 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I went to this with my mate, we were only around 13/14 at the time, so his dad took us, we somehow ended up in the Copeland Road end, tbf, not a peep from them at the end when we were celebrating our win.....

You sure? 

As I remember it was only the main stand and enclosure that was open that day.

3 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

We were right next to the tunnel at The Broomloan side, quite a few of us but still surrounded by them, mostly good banter tbh, but one or two are simply beyond parody and cannot understand that people can support other clubs.

That's where I stood as well.  From memory it was quite a relaxed atmosphere due to it being a pre season tournament. 

What made it better was the fact they had knocked us out of the Drybrough Cup the Wednesday night before.   I think Rangers also played Celtic on the Saturday in between the Friday night games and the Sunday games, therefore 3 days in a row.  That game against Celtic was the game Davie Cooper scored arguably his best ever goal. 

1 hour ago, chubbs said:

You sure? 

As I remember it was only the main stand and enclosure that was open that day.

Your right mate, I've got the stand name wrong, shows my knowledge about Ibrox lol. 

Anyway, we were well warned by his dad about celebrating if we scored on the way up in the car because we would be right in amongst them, of course at that age did we listen, did we feck xD

48 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I thought the Centenary Stand was open. Certainly looking at the photo above , that’s the new Copeland Road stand being built. 

Main Stand / Centenary Stand ... whatever they call it.  The enclosure was partially below pitch level as I recall.

The Broomloan was finished, the Copeland was half built and the Govan Road was cleared with only some steelwork in place.

21 minutes ago, chubbs said:

Main Stand / Centenary Stand ... whatever they call it.  The enclosure was partially below pitch level as I recall.

The Broomloan was finished, the Copeland was half built and the Govan Road was cleared with only some steelwork in place.

Now I’m confused, the Centenary was the Govan Road, thought it was open, the photo of Killie with the cup has the Centenary in the background, but obviously couldn’t swear on it, The Broomloan is the “Celtic end” , so, them being them I cannot see them building g a nice shiny stand for Celtic before they did it for their own hordes, but who knows??? :D 

8 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Now I’m confused, the Centenary was the Govan Road, thought it was open, the photo of Killie with the cup has the Centenary in the background, but obviously couldn’t swear on it, The Broomloan is the “Celtic end” , so, them being them I cannot see them building g a nice shiny stand for Celtic before they did it for their own hordes, but who knows??? :D 

They built Copeland, Broomloan and Govan in that order, so you're correct mate. 

Great day. It was Killie’s biggest success to date in my time supporting them! Wanted to go back down the road and celebrate but became violently ill on the way back and ended up in bed! My memory has Bobby Street doing a forward roll after his penalty (hence user name) but it’s been a while. Still have the (framed) programme.

Loved that day. For us to pull it back to 2-1 was ridiculous. To equalise then win on pennos was  orgasmic happiness. The Huns that were still there at the end were actually quite amused that we'd sat there on our hands saying fck all until the last penno went in and then we erupted :-) Being there just after my 20th birthday with two school-pals was a mega-Killie memory. KTWD.

1 hour ago, Bobby Street Roll said:

Great day. It was Killie’s biggest success to date in my time supporting them! Wanted to go back down the road and celebrate but became violently ill on the way back and ended up in bed! My memory has Bobby Street doing a forward roll after his penalty (hence user name) but it’s been a while. Still have the (framed) programme.

Yeah my memory of that day -apart from the fantastic comeback in the last 5 mins to take it to penalties - was Bobby Street strolling up to take his penalty, waving at the Hun fans ( I'm thinking for f*ck sake what are you doing) and calmly slotting it home! I went berserk as did the rest of the Killie fans!