1979 Tennant Caledonian Cup, Ibrox (Pre-Season Tourney)

skygod

40 minutes ago, Boab said:

I was 9 years old and in the Directors Box with my dad(my uncle held a senior post with Rangers and got us tickets). I remember going nuts at the end and the camel coat and brown brogue brigade were not at all amused and told me in no uncertain terms to shut the f*** up. Get it up them, I have savoured every victory over those p****s ever since

An almost identical experience to my own. It was my first direct exposure to rabid hun seethe and my distaste for that club and all it stands for emanates from that day. 

I went up on my motorbike. After the cup was presented I rode down to the Jolly Farmers. There was a couple of Killie fans in who had left Ibrox early. They didn't know we had won until I walked in singing. When I went into work the next day one of my workmates who had also left after their 2nd goal didn't know we had won until I handed him a newspaper and told him to check the back page. He shall remain nameless..........Josie.

Edited by harley

To this day Rangers have kept the original trophy. It is a really beautiful gold cup.

My memory is opening the dressing room door and seeing the players downing cans of Tennents lager in victory.

And yes, Bobby Street doddling up to take his penalty showing the Rangers fans the v’s. (For victory, of course)

Derek Johnstone was dragged out the dressing room to collect the losers trophy. The rest of their players stayed indoors.

ps. That was Davie Sneddon’s 4th different trophy won with Killie as a player or Manager.

League Champions, Reserve League Cup, Ayrshire Cup and Tennents Caledonian Cup.

Edited by CBFC

It was sweet revenge for our Dryburgh Cup semi defeat against them on the Wednesday prior to the game, when we’d played them off the park and lost 2-0. 
A fat Rangers fan told me that night that it’s goals that count, not how well you play. 
Unfortunately, I didn’t see him after the TC cup final to agree with him. 
Them winning the DC semi was maybe a blessing as the cup final on the Sunday was their 3rd game in 3 days!

3 hours ago, Boab said:

I was 9 years old and in the Directors Box with my dad(my uncle held a senior post with Rangers and got us tickets). I remember going nuts at the end and the camel coat and brown brogue brigade were not at all amused and told me in no uncertain terms to shut the f*** up. Get it up them, I have savoured every victory over those p****s ever since

Yip pity the bigots died in 2012

1979/80 Tennent Caledonian Cup (Rangers, Kilmarnock, West Ham, Brighton).

Newly promoted Killie were invited to play in the Tennants Caledonian Cup, at Ibrox ..... with the expectation of being Easy. Killie won the cup with two draws and two wins on penalties.

It felt like me an my mate were the only Killie fans still inside Ibrox when we scored to make it 2-1. Everybody had left and were on the busses for home already. Then news filtered through and folks started piling back in. 

Happy Days.

cup.jpg

Edited by gdevoy

On 7/19/2020 at 4:16 PM, killie billies pal said:

We were right next to the tunnel at The Broomloan side, quite a few of us but still surrounded by them, mostly good banter tbh, but one or two are simply beyond parody and cannot understand that people can support other clubs.

i was there as well but left before the end , idiot 

On 7/19/2020 at 4:05 AM, killie billies pal said:

Yep, I remember one Rangers fan in particular being an absolute twat around the 80 minute mark, thought about leaving but decided to stay,,, his face at the end was priceless. They weren’t happy that we had ruined their wee Tourney

This may be the same guy who actually patted me on the head saying "never mind, at least you got a day oot in the city and seen a big team play"
We thankfully stayed till the end too, looked for the guy but he was nowhere to be seen... brilliant ending to the game.

Went up to the game on a bus from the Dunlop Hotel , got a lift to Dunlop fae Stewarton from the famous rev Currie , as it was Sunday he tried to talk us into going to band practice lol. We stayed to the end couldnae believe the result.

7 hours ago, yogi said:

Went up to the game on a bus from the Dunlop Hotel , got a lift to Dunlop fae Stewarton from the famous rev Currie , as it was Sunday he tried to talk us into going to band practice lol. We stayed to the end couldnae believe the result.

Divine Intervention?

15 hours ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Who is the Rab Reilly look alike on the left, 10 years before we had Rab Reilly? 

George Maxwell.... A PE teacher in his day time job who coached Gordon Smith at School then later Kris Boyd.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-post-dundee/20180311/283527976330634&ved=2ahUKEwiOz9K8j-LqAhUyrXEKHV7GCbIQFjAEegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2J0R2E6ZlRVwnDwySkq0Lb&cshid=1595464279066

Edited by C4mmy31

• CB locked this topic