Killie TV Update

C4mmy31
Message added by Lroy,

Do not sign up for an International Subscription through a VPN with your Season Ticket account. Create a new account otherwise it will override your season ticket and you will not be able to view future games. A fix is being worked on. Contact [email protected] if you are affected by this issue.

It might be the new normal but this Saturday ritual we've all been in since August isn't quite cutting it.

Gathering around the living room, putting the scarf over the TV and hunting for a spare HDMI cable isn't the same as a pre-match pint in the usual matchday haunt.

Yes, live streams are the closest we'll get to the action for a while yet, at least until we've got a steady supply of Pfizers and AstraZenecas.

But week by week, some fans are being stung harder than others when it comes to streaming prices.

Depending on your away venue you could be forking out £20 or £9.99 - or, in one instance, be banned entirely.

So who's top of the value table in Scottish football? Here are the price offerings at all 12 Premiership clubs, plus Hearts.

How the clubs compare

Livingston - £20

Pricing their games at a full score - more expensive than many boxing mega-fights - Livi have opted to "protect the value" of their season tickets by making their stream price the highest in the country.

A post on their website read: "We, as a club, felt that we had to protect the value of our season tickets which are purchased year after year by our loyal supporters.

"The only way to ensure this, was to make the PPV more expensive per game, than what the season tickets work out at per game.

"We also had to take into account that families will now be buying one ‘single’ ticket rather than potentially 3 or 4. In addition to this, we had to consider the very real possibility that friends will group together to watch the stream, further reducing the revenue the club would had received if fans were in the stadium.

"We feel that this is a fair value as it is still cheaper than what would be paid for a walk-up ticket if fans were in the stadium."

Hearts - £18.50

One of the priciest streams in the country isn't even in the top flight. The Tynecastle club set a value of £15 per match for a full season ticket matches and, like in the case of Livingston, that means their PPV offering has been priced up higher despite being in the Championship.

Hearts offered a guarantee to season ticket holders that they'd get a run of free games when fans are able to return to grounds. The Edinburgh club said: “Furthermore, the commitment remains whereby any outstanding matches from this season will be credited to those who renew their season tickets for season 21/22, with the relevant number of match tickets offered to those who do not renew."

St Johnstone - £17.50

The Perth Saints have also used much of the same season ticket justification for their £17.50 offering, claiming they don't want to demean the value of the briefs forked out by their most dedicated fans.

A statement on the club's website read: "Live streaming of league matches at McDiarmid Park on a pay-per-view basis will cost £17.50 per game. This price has been decided with the value of our 2020/21 Season Tickets in mind."

Hamilton Accies - £15

The Accies, meanwhile, didn't bother selling any season tickets, so a PPV offering is actually their only source of matchday income. They've set it at £15.

Accies fans actually staged a digital boycott last month, amid frustation with manager Brian Rice and recent results. A fan set up a JustGiving page to donate money that would have been spent on PPV streams to St Andrew's Hospice instead.

Hibernian - £15

Games are also £15 at Easter Road. The Hibees have recruited former Sky Sports man David Tanner and pundit Tam McManus to present their matchday coverage.

Their PPV service provided Celtic fans with a way to watch the sides' 2-2 draw last month after Sky opted not to show the game.

Ross County - £15

The Staggies are the third team to offer games at this popular price, although home fans are now able to attend matches at the Global Energy Stadium in small numbers.

But with only 300 supporters allowed into games in Dingwall, PPV revenue is still crucial.

They reported a huge uptake in virtual streams for a home match against Celtic and it's claimed revenue possibly outstripped a normal fixture against one of the two Glasgow giants.

Aberdeen - £12.99

The Dons might be leading the charge to get fans back into games but their digital tickets are around mid-table. Home fans can get a reduction by being a member of fan membership scheme AberDNA.

Dundee United - £12.50

The Terrors will be missing their fans after finally returning to the Premiership after three seasons outside the top flight. As a compromise they've set their PPV price relatively cheap at £12.50.

That's separate from Dundee United's ArabZONE platform that also provides fans with videos and interviews.

Kilmarnock - £12.50

Killie are also at this respectable price, towards the lower end of the spectrum.

Like Hearts, Kilmarnock have also offered a guarantee to their season ticket holders that they will experience 19 home league matches in person, whether or not they will be able to experience any before the end of the current campaign.

St Mirren - £12.50

Buddies fans were the last home supporters to attend a Premiership game as their 1-0 win over Hearts kept them up.

They'll be desperate to return but can find comfort that their streams are at the cheaper end of the scale.

Motherwell - £12

The Steelmen have been active in the community over the current crisis and with the second-lowest price in the top flight, fans can be proud.

But they don't take top spot...

Rangers - £9.99

The Ibrox club are running away with the league at the moment and they also top the value charts for fans without a season ticket.

A tenner is the most home and away fans have been expected to pay for Rangers league games, though their European qualifier against Galatasaray was £14.99.

Celtic - N/A

The Scottish champions are the only club in the SPFL that do not offer PPV for home fans without a club season ticket or supporters that would otherwise be travelling to Celtic Park.

With such a massive season book uptake in this historic season, the majority of home fans that would have attended in person will be able to watch.

But it does leave 'away' fans locked out of a visit to Parkhead.

(Daily Record)

I've used the away ppv on a few occasions and it's a mixed bag. Aberdeen probably the most professional for a reasonable price with Rob McLean doing the pre-match chat. Encountered a few problems going the international route, probably of my own doing, because I wouldn't give Livi and St. Johnstone the money that they charge. Casting to a TV works pretty well but it's a poor substitute for going to a game and the involvement with fellow fans. Thanks to CB and Lroy for helping me out on a few occasions. The Sream Digital people were also quick to reply when I emailed them too.

Can't say I have had any real problems watching KTV, one of the early games, possibly against Celtic, had a few problems but it has improved since then. Having ex players chipping in has been a good idea. 

It will be great to get back to Rugby Park, but this has given us the chance to take a in few Montrose games (wife's home team) when Killie not playing and it is something I'll miss when things get back to normal, as we only see them occasionally.

Watched Arbroath V Montrose in the cup, main camera broke just before kick off and they used like a normal video camera right at pitch level, not the best of views, you could hear the guy working the camera telling the subs warming up to move as they were blocking the view. Arbroath did offer a refund if anyone wanted it, don't think many would.

£12.50 for a Montrose League game in Division 1 (but these clubs are struggling)

Edited by GCM
Added price for game

11 hours ago, skygod said:

It's a pity the Record didn't do a more in-depth survey than just price.

I'm sure there must be a wide range of commentary tones and standards.

I’ve watched games on a few different club channels. The likes of Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen have had quite a professional setup. A host, pundits and a separate commentary team. One of the midweek Dons games I saw had a current player on the pundits panel which I thought was a decent inclusion and provided a different perspective on things. Motherwell last week only had a commentator which wasn’t great. Rob McLean and Rory Hamilton seem to be doing the rounds a bit providing commentary. I didn’t watch our game at Accies on their outlet but caught a brief bit of an early season game which was two neds and a camera. 

Overall I'd say ours will rank pretty well. For me it’s getting better week by week. The inclusion of more ex pros has been beneficial and the guys are learning as they go what works and doesn’t. Dropping others along the way was a good move for me but that’s personal opinion. 

9 hours ago, GrazyKillie said:

Celtic should be getting f**king hammered for not offering PPV option. Not providing away fans any legal way to view the game is a nonsense. Locking fans out of scottish football really is pathetic.

Probably the closest to what it's actually like to be an away fan at park head, can't see anything anyways.

The first couple of months I found the service quite patchy, but in recent months I've had no problems at all. Its been an excellent service.

One thing I hate, which I know we often cant control if we arent in charge of the pictures, is seeing a replay while action is happening. When you cut back to the action, someone is on the attack and you have no idea how. It happens on Sky etc occasionally too, but it seems to happen on KTV a little too often 

10 hours ago, GrazyKillie said:

Celtic should be getting f**king hammered for not offering PPV option. Not providing away fans any legal way to view the game is a nonsense. Locking fans out of scottish football really is pathetic.

They would get hammered a lot more from their season ticket holders. CelticTV is one of the easiest ones to find a free stream online. Can't see many Killie fans willing to pay Celtic for a PPV stream.