Killie Shop - Customer Service

Nabby

50 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

The shop closes at 4pm, so he can enter at 3.59 and 59 seconds if he wants. The customer isn’t required to make a moral calculation to judge when it’s “unfair” to go in. Where does that end? 2, 5, 10 minutes before closing. When I worked in the Building Society we opened 9-12 on a Saturday and were usually inundated around five to twelve. Too bad. The advertised hours were 9-12 and the door was locked at  12, usually with customers banging on the door after that. After the door was locked we probably had at least six customers in and never got finished before 12.30. That’s retail I’m afraid. And customer service. 

Bizarre take. So he could go in at 3.58pm and decide to stay in to look at stuff until 9pm and the staff would just have to wait patiently until he's finished? 

Obviously that's an exaggeration but the point stands that the staff are well entitled to turn away customers at that point of day.

It's bizarre that you'd choose to deliberately wait until that time to do your shopping and then have the cheek to complain when the opportunity was denied. 

What's even more bizarre is your apparent bewilderment at people's reactions on here, and pretence that you're actually not in the slightest bit bothered by the whole scenario because it saved you money, but you've still felt the need to come on here and create a post about it. 

Sorry - my opinion is that you're well in the wrong here.

16 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

44 years in retail , Big retailer and nothing annoys staff more than someone coming in the door with closing time about to happen. The amount of wasters who do this on purpose you would not believe. I know most of them and when they see me they know i will be blunt with them unlike the younger members of staff. 

I never go into a store or anywhere when is near closing time. Also i have never heard of a paid shift going on longer than the opening hours. Doors shut i don't get paid.

But that's not the point, We have lives too. I want to get to the pub/football/dinner/family/bed/car fixed/shopping, Any number of reasons. 

Again, a very old fashioned vision of banking. They could walk in with a large sum of money to invest and not know at all what all the options were. They could walk I. To register a power of attorney. The could be enquiring about a mortgage. They could hit you with anything. Tremendously annoying, and as it was usually  our sixth day in a row working for a very modest salary at that level we didn’t appreciate getting our half an hour later unpaid for it. But we couldn’t refuse to serve a customer with two minutes till closing. You would have to advertise your closing tone as 3.58pm.

4 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

Bizarre take. So he could go in at 3.58pm and decide to stay in to look at stuff until 9pm and the staff would just have to wait patiently until he's finished? 

Obviously that's an exaggeration but the point stands that the staff are well entitled to turn away customers at that point of day.

It's bizarre that you'd choose to deliberately wait until that time to do your shopping and then have the cheek to complain when the opportunity was denied. 

What's even more bizarre is your apparent bewilderment at people's reactions on here, and pretence that you're actually not in the slightest bit bothered by the whole scenario because it saved you money, but you've still felt the need to come on here and create a post about it. 

You’re taking a silly extreme point of view. The shop is open till 4pm. Can you advise me what you’re actual closing time would be and how a customer who could  only make it near closing would know whether it was worth busting a gut to get there in time? As for your penultimate paragraph, I haven’t a clue what you’re gabbling about. They are absolutely not entitled to turn customers away before closing time. 

Edited by Mclean07

As the shop is closed tomorrow, they will probably need to remove the cash from the tills. Plus with all that's currently going on, they will probably have to disinfect any of the store equipment and clean the tills before they leave. The staff, like some in the retail sector, will probably not be paid the extra 10 or 15 minutes that they may have to work by letting someone enter the store right at the closing time. This along with the staff potentially having other arrangements this evening, usually make the idea of not allowing a customer to enter the store right on closing, understandable. 

4 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Again, a very old fashioned vision of banking. They could walk in with a large sum of money to invest and not know at all what all the options were. They could walk I. To register a power of attorney. The could be enquiring about a mortgage. They could hit you with anything. Tremendously annoying, and as it was usually  our sixth day in a row working for a very modest salary at that level we didn’t appreciate getting our half an hour later unpaid for it. But we couldn’t refuse to serve a customer with two minutes till closing. You would have to advertise your closing tone as 3.58pm.

What bank was that, anytime you want to change anything with my bank you need to book an appointment. 

15 minutes ago, Armstrong86 said:

I was in the shop today for some things. The 2 ladies answered the couple of questions I had about certain items. Thought the customer service was pretty good to be fair.

Helps I didn’t want in at closing time. 

He didn’t want in at closing time. What would your actual closing time be? Would potential busy customers have to look at the official time then........guess?

1 minute ago, Garvis said:

What bank was that, anytime you want to change anything with my bank you need to book an appointment. 

You probably did, but it doesn’t stop the customer coming in at 11.59 to make an appointment and be in the queue behind others as he ways to do so. 

1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

You’re taking a silly extreme point of view. The shop is open till 4pm. Can you advise me what you’re actual closing time would be and how a customer who could  only make it near closing would know whether it was worth busting a gut to get there in time? As for your penultimate paragraph, I haven’t a clue what you’re gabbling about.

My last few paragraph's were directed towards the initial poster and not you, sorry if that wasn't clear. 

I know it's an extreme point of view, but where does it stop? At what time is the line drawn and staff are entitled to head up the road or get on with their lives?

Your comparison with a customer busting a gut to make it in time is every bit as extreme or 'silly'. They could perhaps visit the next day, the one prior, have a family member or friend attend on their behalf, use the online service OR if push really comes to shove and you know you're going to be late, why not give the shop a call in advance and let them know of your situation and ask for some assistance? All viable options.

22 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Sitting at a desk.....ha, ha....how hackneyed. You were serving customers, like any retail outlet. And weekdays were the same, if you advertised you were open till 5, you couldn’t decide to shut at an arbitrary time to get home for your tea. And the time it took us to cash and tidy things up were done for free, unfortunately. 

So you agree if the advertised time is 5pm then the shop closes at 5pm, not 5.15pm or 5.30pm, as you have advocated previously, glad we agree on that point.

You'll also find staff will respect management more for sticking to the advertised times, and you'll get more out of them in the long run especially as on a Saturday, many have plans outwith their working life.

I understand the world is driven by customer service and experience nowadays, but it's a two way street, it's disrespectful for customers to just expect staff to stay behind especially when, in this case, they could have easily made the effort to shop before the advertised closing time.

Edited by C4mmy31

4 minutes ago, Richie95 said:

As the shop is closed tomorrow, they will probably need to remove the cash from the tills. Plus with all that's currently going on, they will probably have to disinfect any of the store equipment and clean the tills before they leave. The staff, like some in the retail sector, will probably not be paid the extra 10 or 15 minutes that they may have to work by letting someone enter the store right at the closing time. This along with the staff potentially having other arrangements this evening, usually make the idea of not allowing a customer to enter the store right on closing, understandable. 

None of which is the customers concern. That’s between the employee and the employer to sort out unpaid overtime. The staff’s home/personal life is not their concern either. If a customer doesn’t know that 4pm is not ACTUALLY the closing time, how do you suggest they judge when they can turn up at any given retail shop? 

3 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

My last few paragraph's were directed towards the initial poster and not you, sorry if that wasn't clear. 

I know it's an extreme point of view, but where does it stop? At what time is the line drawn and staff are entitled to head up the road or get on with their lives?

Your comparison with a customer busting a gut to make it in time is every bit as extreme or 'silly'. They could perhaps visit the next day, the one prior, have a family member or friend attend on their behalf, use the online service OR if push really comes to shove and you know you're going to be late, why not give the shop a call in advance and let them know of your situation and ask for some assistance? All viable options.

How does the customer judge when the shop will actually close if it’s not the advertised time? Why on earth should the customer alternative arrangements in case the shop doesn’t open till its advertised time. It’s really straightforward. 

10 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

None of which is the customers concern. That’s between the employee and the employer to sort out unpaid overtime. The staff’s home/personal life is not their concern either. If a customer doesn’t know that 4pm is not ACTUALLY the closing time, how do you suggest they judge when they can turn up at any given retail shop? 

Overtime doesn't exist in the vast majority of the retail sector nowadays.... maybe time back at a later stage but not money in your pocket.

How can they not know the opening hours, apart from ignorance, it's a legal requirement for shops to advertise their hours of trade.

Edited by C4mmy31

2 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

So you agree if the advertised time is 5pm then the shop closes at 5pm, not 5.15pm or 5.30pm, as you have advocated previously, glad we agree on that point.

You'll also find staff will respect management more for sticking to the advertised times, and you'll get more out of them in the long run especially on a Saturday, when many have plans outwith their working life.

I understand the world is driven by customer service and experience nowadays, a two way street if you like, it's disrespectful for customers to just expect staff to stay behind especially when, in this case, they could have easily made the effort to shop before the advertised closing time.

Of course I agree, or we have chaos. The shop must close its doors at 4pm. The customer entered at 3.58. That’s sticking to the advertised times. They cannot close before the advertised time or know one knows where they are. The level of “not in the real world” on here is unbelievable. I’ve never worked for a company in my life where I was out the minute the official day ended. Bloody hell!! The spill over with customers in after time is just retail. It’s what happens. 

Just now, Mclean07 said:

How does the customer judge when the shop will actually close if it’s not the advertised time? 

If a customer can't operate a tiny amount of common sense with such a scenario then that's really worrying. How ever will they manage with other parts of their daily activities where common sense might be essential?

4 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

If a customer can't operate a tiny amount of common sense with such a scenario then that's really worrying. How ever will they manage with other parts of their daily activities where common sense might be essential?

Exactly. My local shop shuts in ten minutes. It takes me about 5 minutes or so to walk there. Do I go? Maybe. Do I get all tears and snotters when they say that im too late. No. 

4 hours ago, Nabby said:

I live in Edinburgh & we travelled down today. Had nice bite in Killie Club & at 3:58 we wandered over to the shop. The door was open but we were told the shop was closed. Does Kilmarnock have its own Kilmarnock time? The club has lost custom we were going to buy training gear etc. New strip, new sponsor same old mind set. Time the club really had a word with its staff in terms of what it means to work in retail. They clearly don’t get it. 

I will say it again....the point here is that Nabby was a short distance from the shop and “wandered” over as the shop was about to close. Most of us knowing when it was closing would have gone in plenty of time and shown a bit of thought for the staff.  Choosing to take a stroll over allowing two minutes to choose and pay up is perverse. 

People can choose to be twats, and it appears the op did on this occasion as he could have gone to the shop in plenty time, however the advertised closing time was 4pm and admission should have been granted.  It may have been a royal pain in the behind to the staff but it's potentially a lost sale and lost revenue to the club.

41 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

The exaggeration works both ways, though.

If the shop says it closes at 4pm, are the staff allowed to refuse entry to customers at 1pm, so they have ample time to empty tills and-stock the shelves?

How are we customers supposed to know the actual time of last entry? Obviously an exaggeration, but you see the point?

So is the last entry time 10 minutes before the closing time?

15 minutes? 

20 minutes?

The problem for retailers is that customers will vote with their feet. And most likely get it online.

To sort it, I've seen an employee on the door telling folk they've only got X minutes. (Especially thinking of Smyths toy shop at Xmas time!)

Either that or put a sign up telling customers the shop shuts at 3.45pm.

8 minutes ago, theboyjohnston said:

People can choose to be twats, and it appears the op did on this occasion as he could have gone to the shop in plenty time, however the advertised closing time was 4pm and admission should have been granted.  It may have been a royal pain in the behind to the staff but it's potentially a lost sale and lost revenue to the club.

Agree.

39 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

If a customer doesn’t know that 4pm is not ACTUALLY the closing time, how do you suggest they judge when they can turn up at any given retail shop? 

If I thought a shop closed at 4 pm, I would turn up in sufficient time before then to do my imagined business. 

If I knew exactly what I wanted and it was a case of picking it up and paying, this might be up until 3.55 in a small outlet. In a department store where I had to go up and down escalators, quite a bit longer.  

If I knew that I wanted to browse, try stuff on, maybe requiring the staff to rummage in the store room, I would perhaps allow at least 30 mins depending on the size of store. 

The customer might always be right but courtesy and consideration work both ways. 

If the OP had explained calmly and politely that he had travelled from Edinburgh, knew what he wanted and would be in and out in five minutes, the staff might have been expected to serve him. 

If they had seen him enjoying a leisurely lunch before “wandering” over at 3.58, I can understand it might be through gritted teeth.