Killie's Most In-Famous Result ?

Allan

3 hours ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

That was the angriest I I think I’ve ever been. Left at 0-3 by which point it should already have been about 0-10

A combination of MacDonald having one of his best games for us and County taking their foot off the gas in the second half was all that prevented them hitting double figures that day.

First game was 1992 - Nomads the worst result by a considerable margin. I'm still absolutely disgusted by it. Genuinely one of those things I have to continually convince myself not to think about because it still gets me annoyed.

My heart rate has genuinely increased as I type this, an utter disgrace. 

CQN without a shadow of a doubt. A stunning capitulation. 

Ayr after the cup win and Stirling Albion were incredibly tough to take. 

The most painful was undoubted 6-0 QOS, in classic Killie fashion we nearly pulled it off, the highs and lows of football all in one day. 

There was a home game to Livi where we lost to 5 I'm sure where that feckin drum was louder than ever, that wasn't good. 

Losing 3-2 to the mighty Berwick Rangers at Tynecastle. 

Losing at home to Stranraer. 

Coleraine without a doubt, with Nomads second.

Take them in context, aye we were on the 'up' before the Nomads game and it was our first European adventure in a while. then we got shafted by a team of diddies.

However, consider the team we had in the sixties and that we had only narrowly missed out on a major European final a couple of years earlier (and the league win just before that).

I was only ten when I went to that game and in my head, Killie had always done well in Europe and saw no reason why it wouldn't continue.....,...............................................Then we got shafted by a team of diddies .:31::31::15:

47 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

However, consider the team we had in the sixties and that we had only narrowly missed out on a major European final a couple of years earlier (and the league win just before that).

The Coleraine result was terrible, being 2-0 up at half-time and surrendering three goals in the second half. 

Although the club wasn't that far in time from the league championship and Fairs Cup semi-final, it was in financial trouble in 1970 and closer to going part-time and being relegated.

We should still have had more than enough to have seen them off.

54 minutes ago, skygod said:

The Coleraine result was terrible, being 2-0 up at half-time and surrendering three goals in the second half. 

Although the club wasn't that far in time from the league championship and Fairs Cup semi-final, it was in financial trouble in 1970 and closer to going part-time and being relegated.

We should still have had more than enough to have seen them off.

Got introduced to the Coleraine captain and left-back Ivan Gordon a few years ago in Tenerife and he was saying that Walter McCrae had made some sarcastic remark to Bertie Peacock as the teams went off at half time and led to the Northern Irish team being well fired up for the second half.

3 hours ago, Riverplatekillie said:

Got introduced to the Coleraine captain and left-back Ivan Gordon a few years ago in Tenerife and he was saying that Walter McCrae had made some sarcastic remark to Bertie Peacock as the teams went off at half time and led to the Northern Irish team being well fired up for the second half.

A true mark of the man. I'm not at all surprised at this.

Would also have CQN top....as others have said even a year on, it still hurts. Probably the worst element of it for me was waiting so long to get back into Europe, and being a tie which should have been a 'bye' into the next round. Even when they went 1-0 up, I genunily never thought they would score again at that point, to actually knock us out....to lose to a side which it seems have about 20 fans..were there even any CQN fans actually in Belgrade?

2. Inverness Thistle...even a fairly poor Killie side at the time, but should never have been humiliated by a non-League side

3. 4-1 to A*r....such a scoreline should simply never happen

Other mentions for 1-0 Alloa, Gretna, and also managing to lose 6 goals to ICT at home.

Edited by Jedi2

I've just read the Coleraine match report. Des Dickson scored his second half hat trick in twelve minutes!

They also had a goal chopped off near the end. Killie had a goal disallowed in the 1st half.

Their goalie was only 5 foot 6!

Coleraine were beaten 4-1 on aggregate in the next round by Sparta Rotterdam, who Killie beat in a pre-season friendly 20 years later.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

The lowest point for me was the game against Berwick Rangers that was played at Tynecastle because their roof had blown off in a storm.

3-0 down after 80  minutes of the most appalling ineptitude that I have ever witnessed in blue and white, we then decide to start playing and scored two in the last ten minutes and almost grabbed an equaliser.  

It was about a month maybe two before Bobby Fleeting took over and we signed Tommy, everything since then has been upwards, with the occasional setback.

There were a few other dreadful performances that season but that game I remember as being the worst.

It was 3 going on 4 or 5. They had 2 goals disallowed one of which looked perfectly valid. To make matters worse, I also remember Berwick brought on a black substitute who was subjected to monkey chants by a couple of morons sitting behind me.

Other games that stand out from that season:

Brechin at home on the first day of the season. No scoring with 5 minutes left. Their centre half gets sent off for the most blatant handball you'll ever see. He had no need to do it either! Brechin win 2 nil. We thought we would walk that league. A total reality check.

Two weeks later at Hampden. Don't remember much about the game other than it was another shocker. We slumped to 3rd bottom of the league.

East Stirling away. We had recovered from that bad start and were on a decent run. They were bottom of the league. I remember the guy in front of me was giving one of their players stick right from the start of the match. This player scored their 2nd goal from 25 yards. Again, just like the Berwick game we almost snatched an undeserved equaliser but Dave McCabe missed a last minute penalty

Any game v Stranraer. Lost 3 out 3 in the league and knocked us out of the cup in a reply on penalties.

17 hours ago, The Deserter said:

Brechin at home on the first day of the season. No scoring with 5 minutes left. Their centre half gets sent off for the most blatant handball you'll ever see. He had no need to do it either! Brechin win 2 nil. We thought we would walk that league. A total reality check.

Gregor Stevens I think? He certainly got sent off for both Brechin and Dumbarton at RP in the same season, and one of them was for a ridiculous handball where the ball was going out for a shy on the halfway line and he just reached up and caught it when it was still about 5 yards in play.