Kabamba

iankerr18

52 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

I think you received the down votes for the sly dig at Brophy which you seem to love to do. Not about your comments re Kabamba.

Right, maybe. Not trying to be sly. As you say I’m open about my feelings on brophys performances for a long time now. I want him to score a barrel load - I’m really not one of those folks that would rather be right even at expense of results/performance - but I’ve never seen a player performing so poorly over such an extended period maintaining such support with the fans. I’ve seen better performers crucified for much less. It’s fascinating for me. Is it because he’s had a few “big moments” which dominate folks thinking? He’s not great in the air, not showing great hold up or link play. He’s not a instinctive finisher - how many tap ins has he got from being in the right place in the 6 yard box? He’s not slow but not lightening quick. He’s got a hard shot and is an excellent penalty taker. I don’t see any improvements in his all round game.

12 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Right, maybe. Not trying to be sly. As you say I’m open about my feelings on brophys performances for a long time now. I want him to score a barrel load - I’m really not one of those folks that would rather be right even at expense of results/performance - but I’ve never seen a player performing so poorly over such an extended period maintaining such support with the fans. I’ve seen better performers crucified for much less. It’s fascinating for me. Is it because he’s had a few “big moments” which dominate folks thinking? He’s not great in the air, not showing great hold up or link play. He’s not a instinctive finisher - how many tap ins has he got from being in the right place in the 6 yard box? He’s not slow but not lightening quick. He’s got a hard shot and is an excellent penalty taker. I don’t see any improvements in his all round game.

He isn't a lone striker anyway. Was far too isolated at times under Alessio and his form suffered. Although was still putting a great shift in for the team with little reward. 

As soon as he got a partner up front or more players round about him he started scoring again. Brophy and Kabamba could be a great partnership going forward IMO.

Edited by Skora11

1 minute ago, Skora11 said:

He isn't a lone striker anyway. Was far too isolated at times under Alessio and his form suffered. Although was still putting a great shift in for the team with little reward. 

As soon as he got a partner up front or more players round about him he started scoring again. Brophy and Kabamba could be a great partnership going forward IMO.

Fair enough. Hope you are right on this one. Really do.

I've said many a time, Brophy averages 10 goals a season.  That is an extremely poor return for the clubs apparent "No.1 striker" as some fans like to see him as.  I would love to see Kabamba be the first striker on the team sheet.  I totally agree with Thebigguy68 and how impressive his 2 goals were for two different reasons (pretty sure he mentioned that).  Brophy needs to be more consistent in front of goal. Hopefully a partnership can properly blossom between the two. Time will tell but hopefully sooner rather than later. 

17 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

I've said many a time, Brophy averages 10 goals a season.  That is an extremely poor return for the clubs apparent "No.1 striker" as some fans like to see him as.  I would love to see Kabamba be the first striker on the team sheet.  I totally agree with Thebigguy68 and how impressive his 2 goals were for two different reasons (pretty sure he mentioned that).  Brophy needs to be more consistent in front of goal. Hopefully a partnership can properly blossom between the two. Time will tell but hopefully sooner rather than later. 

32 goals (8 assists) in 77 starts (103 apps in total) is far from an extremely poor return.

19 hours ago, Dave1981 said:

How is 10 goals a season a poor return?!

Double figures for a striker is good in any league.

21 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

Hows that ridiculous? I quite like brophy but his record from open play is pretty crap

issue with brophy is he has played up top himself a lot of the time, very difficult to rack goals up in that system. 

overall I’m not overly fussed how we get our goals as long as they’re in the net. If brophy gets 10 goals a season with 5 of them pens, that’s still a good return in my book. We’ve had plenty strikers who couldn’t get double figures.

paul Wright scored a lot of pens aswell and wasn’t massively prolific. Hovered around the 10-15 mark most of the time. 

26 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

Hows that ridiculous? I quite like brophy but his record from open play is pretty crap

Correct, a poor goalscoring record, particularly when he shoots every time he has the ball. 

I've said before on here, Big Magennis took pelters on this forum. I'd have Josh as my striker before Brophy

22 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

Correct, a poor goalscoring record, particularly when he shoots every time he has the ball. 

I've said before on here, Big Magennis took pelters on this forum. I'd have Josh as my striker before Brophy

So you'd rather have Magennis (a goal every 355 mins at Killie) to Brophy (a goal every 203 mins) as your striker for us?

If Brophy's goal record was poor what was Magennis's?

4 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

So you'd rather have Magennis (a goal every 355 mins at Killie) to Brophy (a goal every 203 mins) as your striker for us?

If Brophy's goal record was poor what was Magennis's?

Take our 4th goal against Falkirk in the play offs as one example. And zero penalties as another. Pretty sure open play numbers will be pretty similar. 

Josh brought more to the team than Brophy

3 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

Take our 4th goal against Falkirk in the play offs as one example. And zero penalties as another. Pretty sure open play numbers will be pretty similar. 

utter s**te. Sometimes I think you are a wind up merchant with a few of your "hot takes"

1 hour ago, Killie lad said:

Brophy has scored 11/11 pens, dont think many keepers would be providing that stat. 

As others have mentioned - how often has he been playing up front on his own? I think folk are being incredibly harsh on him. 

1 minute ago, Twonky65 said:

utter s**te. Sometimes I think you are a wind up merchant with a few of your "hot takes"

Would love a statto to actually work out open play goals between the 2 players. Josh won headers, bullied defenders and generally done more for his team mates.

Oh, and one plays almost every international game for a better footballing side than Scotland

10 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

Brophy has more goal contributions (including assists) than Josh in fewer minutes.

2 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

Would love a statto to actually work out open play goals between the 2 players. Josh won headers, bullied defenders and generally done more for his team mates.

Oh, and one plays almost every international game for a better footballing side than Scotland

Take out Brophy's 11 penalties he has still scored more goals than Magennis is fewer minutes

3 minutes ago, KennyH80 said:

Brophy has scored 11/11 pens, dont think many keepers would be providing that stat. 

As others have mentioned - how often has he been playing up front on his own? I think folk are being incredibly harsh on him. 

What do you believe he’s good at? Not a cheap dig. I genuinely want to understand what I’m missing. I looked at Boyd for years; terrible first touch but instinctive goal scorer. Heffernan, clever link play between forwards and midfield, josh; physical presence that unsettled defenders and powerful runner. Kevin Kyle, dominant in the air. Paul Wright, the best all round striker with a bit of everything ( minus the heading part maybe). How would you describe brophy (without reference to penalty taker - which his record is fantastic)?

3 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

What do you believe he’s good at? Not a cheap dig. I genuinely want to understand what I’m missing. I looked at Boyd for years; terrible first touch but instinctive goal scorer. Heffernan, clever link play between forwards and midfield, josh; physical presence that unsettled defenders and powerful runner. Kevin Kyle, dominant in the air. Paul Wright, the best all round striker with a bit of everything ( minus the heading part maybe). How would you describe brophy (without reference to penalty taker - which his record is fantastic)?

Kenny Miller mould without the prolific strike rate - a nuisance that runs at defenders all game, particularly useful when we are pressing teams, and can open up space for other players. Forces defenders into mistakes. Also has pace to get onto through balls on the rare occasions we have players capable of playing them. 

He needs to be more composed about choosing when to shoot. And he needs to work more on playing in a two. Flawed player but a really useful one at this level. 

1 minute ago, mitch14 said:

Kenny Miller mould without the prolific strike rate - a nuisance that runs at defenders all game, particularly useful when we are pressing teams, and can open up space for other players. Forces defenders into mistakes. Also has pace to get onto through balls on the rare occasions we have players capable of playing them. 

He needs to be more composed about choosing when to shoot. And he needs to work more on playing in a two. Flawed player but a really useful one at this level. 

I can see the nuisance part. But kenny miller without the goals is not kenny Miller. Being a hard worker in itself is not enough to be in a top Scottish team. I’m sure Rory would press and run in a similar way if playing as a central striker? There needs to be more attributes for me...but anyway I’m getting sucked back into the whole brophy thing. Good luck to him snd hope he bags a treble on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Paul Wright, the best all round striker with a bit of everything ( minus the heading part maybe). 

I'm reminded of the Ally McCoist comment on Paul Wright: 'Bunion isn't scared to put his head where it hurts. And judging by his looks, he's done that quite a lot.'

HPWRM0.jpg

Edited by Ayrshire Killie

30 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

Brophy has more goal contributions (including assists) than Josh in fewer minutes.

The one that always sticks in my head that wasnt a direct assist, was Tope's goal against Dundee United I think it was. Josh won a flick on he had no right to win which went to Eremenko who set up Tope.

We all have our own opinions, I'd rather have Magennis