SNP screw up education again

gdevoy

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

Poor show, using the pandemic for deflection. Maybe if Sturgeon wasn’t on telly every single day kidding on she’s the President, she could look at more than one area at a time. I’m sure Swinney had plenty of time, he just thought he could get away with it. 

She's not kidding on she's president, she's First Minister, whether you like it or not.  The pandemic was the reason for this issue, so not sure they are hiding behind it. You know, there's quite a few things on the go just now.

Maybe Swinney did think he'd get away with it, who knows. Folk get away with lots in politics.  You'll know that all to well, see as your hero Blair killed 10,000's (including 100s of UK citizens) based on a lie and got "away with it".

I'm glad they've done a U Turn, plenty haven't in the past.

Have no doubt a small number of students did get shafted over this, there are always anomalies in any system, but an individual appeal would have sorted it. But by caving in, our Government have opened up a right can of worms.

So what happens now to the pass rates? 95% and Cheeky Vimtos all round!

Then next year the pass rates go back to some kind of normality with a 20% drop off?

You gotta feel for pupils who actually sat exams in previous years, and who will sit exams in the future, they have been and will be royally shafted!

I guess this year will need to be considered a statistical anomaly and (assuming life returns to normal) next year pass rates will be compared against 2019.

It does mean when you're applying for jobs / further education in future your 2020 award certificate will be the educational equivalent of an asterisk title.

Just now, Fankle said:

I guess this year will need to be considered a statistical anomaly and (assuming life returns to normal) next year pass rates will be compared against 2019.

It does mean when you're applying for jobs / further education in future your 2020 award certificate will be the educational equivalent of an asterisk title.

Worked put OK for my daughter as her History Will now be a C instead of a D, but she already had an unconditional for accountancy and finance based on her Higher results last year.

But IMO its a cop out designed purely for political reasons, and it would've served the whole system better if they'd put respurces into doing reviews of evidence and based grades individually on that.

The appeals should have been assessed as that would be the 'fairest' way of sorting it out but it also means a load of time that teachers would be doing other stuff on top of their usual workload.

The whole thing could, and should, have been handled better but would there really be much to gain by dragging the appeal process out for the next year .... let the teachers get back to teaching our kids.

16 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Worked put OK for my daughter as her History Will now be a C instead of a D, but she already had an unconditional for accountancy and finance based on her Higher results last year.

But IMO its a cop out designed purely for political reasons, and it would've served the whole system better if they'd put respurces into doing reviews of evidence and based grades individually on that.

Spot on. It’s for political reasons. 

16 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

You are right it is a bit of a cop out for political reasons. To do it properly as you suggest would have taken things well over budget and not been complete until next March. A total embarrassment for the SG either way.

I am going to sound just like Beaker here but can anybody who is sticking the boot in to the SNP over this explain how Westminster is handling it better? 

2 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Spot on. It’s for political reasons. 

doesn't make it the wrong decision as such though.   As I said the initial choice by the SQA was mistaken,  they should've gone to the government and said look these grades are way higher than they statistically should be... we want to downgrade s**tloads of them or we can call on evidence of those suspect grades and assess.

Either they did and it was ignored or they didn't and decided to downgrade,  imonit was the latter based on the agreed and not secret methodology.  The English Schools examinations were being treated rje same way until yesterday afternoon, so its not just an SQA or SNP thing here.

Ultimately it was a flawed decision accross all parts of both England and Scotland hut this time England had the benefit of being later to the party and could change things before the s**t hit the fan.  That's not really good governance either as they would've just went ahead had it not blown up so largely here.

3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I am going to sound just like Beaker here but can anybody who is sticking the boot in to the SNP over this explain how Westminster is handling it better? 

You're on the wind-up here, there's never a single word against Westminster and how would they get SNPbad into that? 9_9

Edited by Scooter

5 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Just listened to Ms Hypocrisy  herself, Wee Roofie criticising Sweeny's chaotic exams fiasco at Holyrood. Pots and kettles IMO. She should just keep her head down and wait for her elevation to the Lords.

I caught the most of it. Another Tory 'Leader' another arse handed to them on a plate.

Was quite lively though!

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Ok so, they're not.happy that their suggested grades were donwgraded AND not happy that their grades are now accepted....

WTF do these f**kers actually want.

SCOTTISH teachers (probably majority SNP voters) are f**kers according to the Nats :) Maybe they wanted a Government ( and Education Secretary) intelligent enough to see what was coming and have a rational approach rather than panic about their Poll numbers. Swinney knew five weeks before the announcement. First the teachers, there coming for YOU next :31:

4 hours ago, gdevoy said:

You are right it is a bit of a cop out for political reasons. To do it properly as you suggest would have taken things well over budget and not been complete until next March. A total embarrassment for the SG either way.

Maybe we don’t see the need to compare EVERYTHING we do with Westminster and we need to clean our own mess up first. England screwing it up doesn’t mane the Nats screwing it up any better. The current tories and the SNP are both populist  nationalists. It’s these types of parties that are making a mess all over the world. 

1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

Maybe we don’t see the need to compare EVERYTHING we do with Westminster and we need to clean our own mess up first. England screwing it up doesn’t mane the Nats screwing it up any better. The current tories and the SNP are both populist  nationalists. It’s these types of parties that are making a mess all over the world. 

You missed out Trumps Populist Govt hopefully for not much longer

3 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Ok so, they're not.happy that their suggested grades were donwgraded AND not happy that their grades are now accepted....

WTF do these f**kers actually want.

Just for clarification, this is the teachers in England I am talking about in respect of their forthcoming results.