Positive test

1 hour ago, Sandman396 said:

Need to send a message to all the clubs that stupid behaviour like this will not be tolerated. It is one thing to be unlucky and catch it but quite another to act as if everything is normal.

I think a points penalty is appropriate but I am not sure 10 is not too much. I would go for 6 points. I would not give St Johnstone 3 points and forfeit the game.

Minimum 3-0 to Saints. If no punishment then it's all a big joke and you can get away with anything these days. I seem to remember Albion Rovers a few years back getting a points deduction for fielding an unregistered player due to a technical hitch with paperwork. This is a serious, serious breaking of rules.

Seen a few people propose different sanctions. One that seemed reasonable to me was the next three games to be postponed in the interests of safety. Players to be hit with three game bans when Dons matches resume. They can appeal but will have to provide evidence they were conforming to the rules which allowed football to restart and government guidelines on social distancing etc. 

How does the postponement affect the Sky deal. It won’t be the first live TV game to be cancelled but these are different circumstances. Given the SPFL have already made payments to broadcaster over lost games last season will they need to compensate again

4 hours ago, Sandman396 said:

I think a points penalty is appropriate but I am not sure 10 is not too much. I would go for 6 points. I would not give St Johnstone 3 points and forfeit the game.

Why should Saints be denied the chance of winning one or three points? 

1 minute ago, struass said:

The Spfl will be reluctant to dish out punishment here as this could conceivably happen to any club including the twisted sisters. Imagine having to dock points off them !? 

Id be surprised id ANY other teams player's will be as stupid now. Clubs will have been hammering this into players today id think. 

If this was two players that had caught the virus whilst following the rules then nobody would have a problem but they were caught blatantly ignoring them. 

This is a disgrace from the players most of whom are senior players. Aberdeen as a club should be hammered for this. This is a wake-up call to every single footballer in Scotland. The players are selfishly risking the future of the senior game in Scotland, jobs and most importantly the health of many people at risk. 

It also shows the complete lack of leadership from Doncaster and his cronies. If it had been Killie they would have probably thrown the book at us but just because its Aberdeen nothing will be done. Now Livingston have had a game moved. 

10 minutes ago, struass said:

The Spfl will be reluctant to dish out punishment here as this could conceivably happen to any club including the twisted sisters. Imagine having to dock points off them !? 

By the sounds of it there will be investigations. Aberdeen will have their own and I suspect the SPFL and/or the SFA will as well. The government will be putting pressure on. Aside front the health issues Cormack has been vocal and trying to put a bit of pressure on about getting stadiums reopened among other things. That won’t be missed.

The only way I can see the club being punished by points or financially is if it was a sanctioned night out. I don’t think the truth about that will come out. If it was they’ll be in full scale damage limitation mode now and lying to protect themselves. I can see sanctions being taken on the players involved. They are supposed to follow protocols and if found to have breached those then IMO they’ll be fair game for a ban or fine as individuals 

41 minutes ago, Graeme S said:

It was the SG who told SPFL it was not safe to play the game. By next week the full squad will all have been tested twice and depending on the results a decision will be made on whether the mid week game v Hamilton and also next weekends game v Celtic go ahead. 

Do the infected players not have to isolate for 10 days and the others for 14 days?.. a retest in midweek won't make much difference in that case.

When the games are rearranged all 8 players involved should be banned from participating.  St Johnstone had a great chance of a win against a severely depleted team and now that has been taken away from them ... why should they get punished for Aberdeen's inability to control their players.

1 minute ago, chubbs said:

St Johnstone had a great chance of a win against a severely depleted team and now that has been taken away from them ... why should they get punished for Aberdeen's inability to control their players.

It's the risk to the people of Perth frankly that had it called off-  the Aberdeen team is now a hotbed of CV.  In any other industry it would be game over with that sort of outbreak in a workforce..  I'd dock Aberdeen 3 points and make sure any players involveds ban covered the SJ game as a caveat, to give somne (totally fair) advatadge to SJ - could be 6 points advantadge if the Dons lose after all.  I suspect Aberdeen gonna get absolutely hammered though!

56 minutes ago, chubbs said:

Do the infected players not have to isolate for 10 days and the others for 14 days?.. a retest in midweek won't make much difference in that case.

When the games are rearranged all 8 players involved should be banned from participating.  St Johnstone had a great chance of a win against a severely depleted team and now that has been taken away from them ... why should they get punished for Aberdeen's inability to control their players.

Yeah you're correct. I was thinking more with regards to the others in the squad who despite having tested negative could still be carrying the virus? Further negative tests would conclusively tell if they are disease free? That would enable the authorities to make a judgement on safety and risk of infection.

Hugh Keevins ripping into these players on Clyde and quite right too.

Football players aren't signed for their intellect, but surely all players will have been briefed by their clubs, and they've caught a wee news report here and there about what's going on over the past 5 months?

Total lack of professionalism that could shut football down again!

Few of the player initially named were not involved. Cosgrove & Hayes instead of Ojo & Ferguson.

Their statement is a joke, an insult and a slap in the face to pretty much everyone in the country. Couldn’t foresee this happening? In a pandemic? I hope they get hammered. 

It seems like Aberdeen and their players get the same kid gloves treatment from the authorities over this as they get on the park from the likes of Steven McLean and Louis Walsh. Only surprise was that their ratty wee manager wasn't out on the pull with them...

19 hours ago, Killieboykfc said:

SOD was on sportsound discussing this last night and came across absolutely terribly. 

Said that ‘Miss Sturgeon’ only called the game off to set an example and that the aberdeen players were simply ‘unlucky’, as opposed to being really f**king stupid. 

I didn't think Tommy Wright came across too well either on the subject last night. He basically shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing the club could do to stop them going out and they couldn't now fine them because the union wouldn't allow it. His attitude appeared to be "boys will be boys" so what are you going to do?

I think Neil Lennon has a better grasp of the situation- 

The Dons Diddies are in the dog house but Neil Lennon reckons everyone in the Scottish game now has to be on a short leash to avoid the nightmare scenario of another lockdown.

The Celtic boss admits he’s now in the dark whether his side will face Aberdeen next week after Pittodrie was clamped in the wake of the Covid calamity at Cormack Park.

It’s not anger he’s feeling. It’s disappointment – as well as huge concern.

Lennon is worried about the knife edge nature of our game.

He believes we’ve come too far and grafted too hard to allow Scottish football to fall back in to the grubber because protocols can’t be kept.

Lennon said: “We’ve come so far and everyone has worked so hard behind the scenes – the medical people and government people – to get the game up and running.

“It would be such a shame and really sore if we had to close it down again so we really have to be on our guard from now on, at least in the short term.

“It’s huge. The players probably weren’t thinking of those things at the time.

“A lot of people will point fingers at them and it’s a lesson learned, certainly for everyone associated with the game.

"We can’t risk it anymore. We can’t have a social life or a normal life, we have to be standard bearers for the rest of the country now in terms of coping with this as best as we possibly can.

“It’s fragile. Not just the season but life in general. Aberdeen is back in lockdown and we just have to be careful that we don’t go back to a complete shutdown. It’s a fine balancing act.

“Aberdeen will probably come under a bit of criticism as a club but the players have made a mistake and now one of them has tested positive for the virus. I hope he recovers well but it’s a lesson for everyone.

“It’s a very unfortunate incident and one that could set us back as a league. The First Minister has come out in the strongest possible sense and put that message out there that we can’t have any more slip-ups.

“And I believe the government are going to speak to the managers and captains of each club to remind us of our responsibilities.”

Lennon has used the Aberdeen shambles as an example to his own squad as he’s hammered home the ground rules once again in case some of them were not listening.

He said: “We’ve had a chat with our players this morning just to remind them of what they can and can’t do.

“I know a few of them have been out in restaurants and adhering to the protocols of said establishments.

“But after what’s happened now then we’re going to have to nip all that in the bud.

“I have sympathy for a lot of the boys, they’ve had the whole lockdown, two or three months with no football.

"But now if you want to extend the season then you’re going to have to follow really strict guidelines and probably go back to the way it was before in terms of training ground, home, probably walk to the shop to get your amenities then go home again.

“The other thing is that players now know they can’t bring friends or relatives over from Belgium or other countries.

“That can’t happen any longer because then they would need to quarantine along with those people.

“It’s another example we’ve had to stress to our squad, if your family is abroad then you can’t have visits from them at the minute, it’s that simple.

“We’ve told our players and staff that, from now on, it’s training ground, home and games – that’s the way it has to be.”

Lennon’s focus has been on getting Celtic back in to the groove. It was job done last weekend in their opener against Hamilton and on to Kilmarnock tomorrow afternoon.

All of a sudden the entire fabric of the game has been stretched and we’re only in week two of the season.

The Hoops boss doesn’t need a reminder of what could happen after the championship was curtailed last term.

But the fragile nature of the league amid a pandemic means his side can’t afford to be playing catch up at any stage – because they might not get the chance.

He said: “Yeah, it’s a good point. It’s not something I’ve really given much thought to because we’ve only just got the season up and running.

“We’ve made a great start and we’ve got a real difficult game coming up at a difficult venue.

“Ideally, we don’t want this called again. We don’t want shut down again.

“In terms of where we are as a squad, I want to add to it but I’m happy with the way we’ve started the season.

“The fitness levels are good and they will get better as we go along. We know we are going to have stiff opposition as we go, and it’s important that we do try to keep our noses in front.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-lennon-admits-celtic-lockdown-22487928

Stephen Robinson said something like "it isn't Scottish football's job to cure corona virus" yesterday (I think we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief at that) and that in next week's meeting with the government he "will keep an open mind and take on board any suggestions that are made". Oh, really? I think you'll find you will be doing what you're told or face the consequences.

11 hours ago, DuncanEwart said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-lennon-admits-celtic-lockdown-22487928

Heard both Wright and Robinson and wasn't too impressed with either of them.  Hopefully the SFA/SPFL will make an example of the Aberdeen players but I doubt it very much.   It's a sad day when Willie Miller comes across with a better understanding of what the guidelines/protocols are than do some of the managers involved in Scottish football. 

Lennon is spot on with his comments

Edited by Pelesboots