Migrants in The Channel.

gdevoy

24 minutes ago, Scooter said:

And then theres the hundreds of millions of pounds that they're gonna have to spend on Brexit that they told us they wouldn't have to spend...

Billions ...  provably into trillions in the next 10 years. If Brexit leads to Scottish Independence then it will increase into many multiple trillions and trillions. It's a financial black hole.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, RAG said:

There are refugees fleeing war torn countries all the time

Are they not fleeing France to come here? 

I don't dispute their reasons for leaving their country of origin and we have a hand in how s**t some of their countries are (Ref Once upon a time in Iraq) but the facts remain they left France on a dinghy to come to the UK. Why is that? 

1 minute ago, gdevoy said:

Billions ...  provably into trillions in the next 10 years. If Brexit leads to Scottish Independence then it will increase into many multiple trillions and trillions. It's a financial black hole.

But I'm confused, isn't Scotland financial drain on the UK......  so how could us leaving mean th rUK loses much mich more money?

Hmm wm talking s**te methinks?  Nope me KNOWS they're talking s**te.

18 minutes ago, Fudger said:

I don't dispute their  but the facts remain they left France on a dinghy to come to the UK. Why is that? 

Maybe theis second language is English not French. Maybe they have family here. In an ideal civilised world they would establish themselves as French citizens then move here as part of the EU. But unfortunately we are pulling up the drawbridge fast.

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

You've got to ask why right wing media has a problem with other people coming here looking for a better life, desperate to point us towards some people in dinghys in Kent and turn us all against them?

...I say it's because it will distract us from the daily death toll that they didn't want to close borders to reduce, and which vastly outnumbers the total people in these dinghys that they do want to close borders to keep out!

There's also the small matter of hundreds of millions of pounds of government contracts for useless pandemic PPE corruption on the horizon...

And then theres the hundreds of millions of pounds that they're gonna have to spend on Brexit that they told us they wouldn't have to spend...

...but look! Coloured people in dinghys! 

Strange that!

Lying B. stards only 0.5 percent no invasion makes you sick farage johnson patel especially coming from Ugandan refugee family

1 hour ago, Fudger said:

I don't dispute their reasons for leaving their country of origin and we have a hand in how s**t some of their countries are (Ref Once upon a time in Iraq) but the facts remain they left France on a dinghy to come to the UK. Why is that? 

france don’t want them 

3 hours ago, Fudger said:

Two questions, as I'm not a refugee, I can't answer - I doubt there is a single answer.  As @gdevoy mentioned, in case of refugees needing to settle into new societies, language skills are important and there's about 6 times as many people that speak English as speak French in the world - you'd want to settle somewhere you could communicate and the English language is the UKs greatest export.  

4 hours ago, Fudger said:

Opportunity.

Why do folk move anywhere but for the chance of a better life? Folk have went to London for hundreds of years because 'the streets are paved with gold'.

I know a plumber and a tiler who travel up and down to London every week cause that's where the work is. They could be classed as economic migrants too, but they're white and travel in a transit instead of a dinghy.

Edited by Scooter

4 hours ago, killie1961 said:

Lying B. stards only 0.5 percent no invasion makes you sick farage johnson patel especially coming from Ugandan refugee family

Scooter quite right. It diverts attention from the tens of thousands of covid deaths. It's ok to offer 3  million Hong Kong chinese residency though rather than a few hundred desperate immigrants. I do acknowledge each case should be assessed. Patel is a hypocrite of the very highest order. 

4 hours ago, Killiepies said:

So some folk on here support people smuggling, illegal immigration and now moans about the audacity of the press, which suddenly starts reporting it after months of hundreds arriving here each day.  

Was it you that said 'all lives matter'? That was short lived! o.O

Sadly a high percentage of the immigrants are prepared to be “subsidised” to get to the U.K. by unscrupulous people smugglers, this shows how bad things are in their home countries, desperate for a better life, they then find themselves crammed into small flats having to work all kinds of hours to pay back their travel fare. A COVID hotspot!

So? If we are smart, we get them before they reach land, we put them in two week lockdown (unlike Bolingolli) , they come out the other side and we allow them to grow their skills in legal employment, pay their dues and offer a great service to the country. Meanwhile our special forces seek out the scumbags waiting here for them to arrive and deal with them very severely.

Anyone still remember the Irish lad and his trailer load of bodies? It’s amazing how some things seem to disappear from news.

If there’s one thing this pandemic has taught me, it’s the attitude of a large percentage of our youth give not one fvck and won’t do certain work, on the other hand these immigrants will.

9 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

france don’t want them 

That's the point mate. Nobody "wants" them. They are human beings tho, trying to get to somewhere and try and get a better lifestyle. 

My heart goes out to them. What do I do tho? Feck all. 

Alot of these people are in this position because of decisions our government at the time made back in the day. 

Tragic situations

9 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Anyone still remember the Irish lad and his trailer load of bodies? It’s amazing how some things seem to disappear from news.

Forget the dingies, nobody knows how many are coming in every day this way. The deaths were only a tragic subset of a multi billion pound industry. Without a legal pathway into the UK you cant stop this.

Edited by gdevoy

7 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

If it has disappeared from the news, which I would question, it’s because the driver has admitted charges of manslaughter, and the police have been tracking down the rest of the gang who have been charged. 

It will come to trial soon enough. 

My heart breaks for anyone who feels the need to take their family in a rubber dinghy across a sea or ocean, I can only imagine the desperation that must exist to do such a thing. Again, I refer to once upon a time in Iraq as a guide to how bad these countries have become (many at the result of our policies). 

What I don't understand is why they would flee France in a dinghy to come to Britain. We keep getting told how bad Britain is and how racist the 'little Englanders' are but yet these desperate people continue to try and get here as their end game and not mainland Europe. 
Some points above mention the English language, possibly true but most countries in mainland Europe are very comfortable speaking English. 
So what is it about Britain that makes it so desirable for people to desperately try to come here? 

8 minutes ago, Fudger said:

What I don't understand is why they would flee France in a dinghy to come to Britain. We keep getting told how bad Britain is and how racist the 'little Englanders' are but yet these desperate people continue to try and get here as their end game and not mainland Europe. 
Some points above mention the English language, possibly true but most countries in mainland Europe are very comfortable speaking English. 
So what is it about Britain that makes it so desirable for people to desperately try to come here? 

"The number of asylum seekers arriving and applying to stay in other European nations is far, far higher than in the UK. Last year, some 165,600 sought asylum in Germany, 129,000 in France and 118,000 in Spain."

British media likes to make out the UK is the aim for all refugees but it is not the case.

Mainly because the BBC appears to carry out their surveys on such things with English speaking migrants in camps near Calais.

16 minutes ago, Fudger said:

I think it allows the meeja to do yet another WW2 reprise. The plucky Englanders holding out against the invading hoards of "others". Saved by a thin strip of sea. It goes down a treat with the Home Counties mindset. In Scotland everybody us thinking WTF is this all about.

11 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

"The number of asylum seekers arriving and applying to stay in other European nations is far, far higher than in the UK. Last year, some 165,600 sought asylum in Germany, 129,000 in France and 118,000 in Spain."

British media likes to make out the UK is the aim for all refugees but it is not the case.

Mainly because the BBC appears to carry out their surveys on such things with English speaking migrants in camps near Calais.

How many was there in Britain? 

3 minutes ago, Fudger said:

How many was there in Britain? 

"In 2019, some 677,000 people moved to the UK as long-term immigrants, for reasons such as work or study.

There were also 49,000 asylum applications.

As such, the 4,000 unauthorised Channel arrivals are equal to less than 1% of all immigrants last year."

22 minutes ago, Fudger said:

France has introduced new laws for migrants which impose a three-month wait before being eligible for health care, and "Australian style" quotas based on profession. You know, the sort of restrictions we could only impose from outside the EU....

They are also seeking to crack down on the number of migrants eligible for financial support. 

I think I also read that there is increasingly limited social housing stock for migrants. 

I suspect that France is more amenable to migrants from African Francophone countries than from the Middle east and eastern Europe.

14 minutes ago, skygod said:

France has introduced new laws for migrants which impose a three-month wait before being eligible for health care, and "Australian style" quotas based on profession. You know, the sort of restrictions we could only impose from outside the EU....

They are also seeking to crack down on the number of migrants eligible for financial support. 

I think I also read that there is increasingly limited social housing stock for migrants. 

I suspect that France is more amenable to migrants from African Francophone countries than from the Middle east and eastern Europe.

Again this just demonstrates that the U.K. didn’t need to come out of the EU in order to control immigration, or as one of the major powers in the EU is France just doing what it likes ?