Gavin Wallace/Alan Cochrane

fullmetaljacket

Well done to both commentators, Sadly it’s the usual story with many self righteous people who like throwing stones but wouldn’t volunteer to do the job themselves......or anything else for that matter........please keep up the good work you’re doing on ALL our behalf’s, much appreciated.

:hurrah:

Edited by Loudoun Killie

2 hours ago, Loudoun Killie said:

Well done to both commentators, Sadly it’s the usual story with many self righteous people who like throwing stones but wouldn’t volunteer to do the job themselves......or anything else for that matter........please keep up the good work you’re doing on ALL our behalf’s, much appreciated.

By self righteous people I assume you are referring to the paying customer critiquing the product they are receiving?

I had a meal that wasn't to my liking in a restaurant last week. Should I not voice my criticism because I'm not a chef nor would I volunteer to be one? Instead, I should applaud the chef on the work he done on behalf of all the restaurant even though I thought it was garbage?

1 hour ago, FTAD said:

By self righteous people I assume you are referring to the paying customer critiquing the product they are receiving?

I had a meal that wasn't to my liking in a restaurant last week. Should I not voice my criticism because I'm not a chef nor would I volunteer to be one? Instead, I should applaud the chef on the work he done on behalf of all the restaurant even though I thought it was garbage?

People can criticise constructively. Gavin has admitted as much himself. But a barrage of comments about how someone’s commentary is “garbage, embarrassing, horrific and horrendous” (all words used on page 1 of this thread), on a forum where you know that the person is likely to see the comments is unnecessarily nasty in my opinion. Especially when that person is clearly doing their best and is a Killie fan just like the rest of us.

If you think the club should look at bringing in a “professional” commentary team like what County had last night then by all means say that, but there’s no need to make someone feel like s*** because you didn’t enjoy their commentary.

22 minutes ago, killie89 said:

People can criticise constructively. Gavin has admitted as much himself. But a barrage of comments about how someone’s commentary is “garbage, embarrassing, horrific and horrendous” (all words used on page 1 of this thread), on a forum where you know that the person is likely to see the comments is unnecessarily nasty in my opinion. Especially when that person is clearly doing their best and is a Killie fan just like the rest of us.

If you think the club should look at bringing in a “professional” commentary team like what County had last night then by all means say that, but there’s no need to make someone feel like s*** because you didn’t enjoy their commentary.

To be totally honest I think accepting and celebrating mediocrity because they're "one of us" is worse than been overly critical.

4 hours ago, Loudoun Killie said:

Self righteous?

So you've never criticized any Killie player who has had a nightmare of a game?

Volunteer to do the job?

So the commentators do it for free?

2 minutes ago, FTAD said:

To be totally honest I think accepting and celebrating mediocrity because they're "one of us" is worse than been overly critical.

I’m not celebrating mediocrity - I’m merely pointing out that there’s a way to criticise constructively without coming across as an obnoxious arse. If you wouldn’t go up to someone in the street and tell them their commentary was horrific or embarrassing then don’t do it on here.

It’s like when Danny Rogers joined us the other week, we had Killie fans on Twitter going on about what a s***e goalie he is and tagging him in their tweets so that he would see their comments. No need for it.

5 minutes ago, killie89 said:

I’m not celebrating mediocrity - I’m merely pointing out that there’s a way to criticise constructively without coming across as an obnoxious arse. If you wouldn’t go up to someone in the street and tell them their commentary was horrific or embarrassing then don’t do it on here.

It’s like when Danny Rogers joined us the other week, we had Killie fans on Twitter going on about what a s***e goalie he is and tagging him in their tweets so that he would see their comments. No need for it.

As a proponent of "if you wouldn't say it to their face, don't say it at all" perhaps a football forum isn't the best place for you. The internet, in general even. 

I like the sentiment but given that this site is a symposium of grown adults getting together to decry and criticise 11 grown men week in week out; it doesn't fly on here. 

If the commentators can't handle or don't want to see harsh criticism then perhaps they should refrain from or at the very least ration themselves when consuming their reviews on a football forum. This seems more sensible than expecting the masses to be measured and constructive.

3 minutes ago, undefined said:

I enjoy Gav's commentary. I love listening to his biased commentary because he's generally saying exactly what I'm thinking, rather than sitting on the fence just for for the sake of it. He's killie daft and it shows. 

My personal favourite is this one. Tell me this doesn't put a big stupid grin on your face! 

It does. Every time. I like gav and said as much yesterday. I remember first time I heard him do the half time stuff. Was like we suddenly had a professional compère compRed to a kid standing up in front of the class for the first time. NAtural, charismatic And although not Michael Parkinson yet, can get there!!  I was harsh on Alan though. I feel a bit guilty for my I.m. Jolly snipe. But I do think Gav would benefit with a football man As sidekick with a bit more energy. No offence meant.

3 minutes ago, undefined said:

I enjoy Gav's commentary. I love listening to his biased commentary because he's generally saying exactly what I'm thinking, rather than sitting on the fence just for for the sake of it. He's killie daft and it shows. 

My personal favourite is this one. Tell me this doesn't put a big stupid grin on your face! 

Exactly and as he says, shut your eyes and listen to what he's saying because that's what a lot of us only receive. Be excited and say what you see as others (whether physically do not have that ability or haven't invested in a vpn) might not be sitting in front of a TV or laptop watching. 2 outputs one man and resource, well done Gav and long may you be able to help our support in doing something that you love. 

10 minutes ago, undefined said:

Just gotta love that. 

30 minutes ago, FTAD said:

As a proponent of "if you wouldn't say it to their face, don't say it at all" perhaps a football forum isn't the best place for you. The internet, in general even. 

I like the sentiment but given that this site is a symposium of grown adults getting together to decry and criticise 11 grown men week in week out; it doesn't fly on here. 

If the commentators can't handle or don't want to see harsh criticism then perhaps they should refrain from or at the very least ration themselves when consuming their reviews on a football forum. This seems more sensible than expecting the masses to be measured and constructive.

Maybe it is a bit naive, but I don’t see why we can’t aspire to be a bit better than your average social media site - especially when the guy has been good enough to make the effort to come on here and engage with the people that were slaughtering him.

7 hours ago, Gavin Wallace said:

Hi all.

I’m not long home from Dingwall and have had quite a bit time to think of my response to this thread.

First of all, I apologise if my commentary was below par last night. I actually said to Scott McClymont and Chris Kyle after the match that I wasn’t happy with my performance, so for that, I apologise.

Some of the comments, in my opinion lack a bit of tact, something which disappoints me as we are a classy club with classy supporters, however, myself and the commentary team are no different to the players when it comes to criticism or praise. I take it all on the chin and welcome both, please continue to do that.

I’m not going to lie, some of these comments did hurt a bit, I’m used to it though in my line of work but when people perhaps don’t understand the level of prep I put in to a match coupled with it coming from fellow fans, it’s slightly harder to take on the chin. I’d hope though that you’d tell me to my face, should you get the opportunity or if indeed we ever meet.

I’m in an unbelievably privileged position to be able to go to matches and all I try to do is describe the action as best as I can. I have to talk more than most tele commentators as we are providing an audio / radio service as well as pictures, for that, I make no apologies as I want all our subscribers and fans to have the best possible experience so I have to aim it more at those not able to get the pictures. 

I think some of the comments about Alan are a bit too much but again, you pay your money and you are more than entitled to your opinion, again, we welcome this. 

Our new away match co-commentator, John Boyd, wasn’t with us last night as his wife is due their first child this Saturday so there was no way we were letting him travel nor did he want to. Family comes first. John should be back with us for Rangers away shortly. Alan is there for the older generation of fan as I think he connects more with them whereas John connects more with those who have a more technical mind towards the game. 

My vision for our commentary is that we be biased towards Killie at all times but we have to say things as we see it. If we are playing poorly it’s our job to tell you this, if the opposition is playing superbly, we have to tell you this etc etc but always keep a Killie bias however, too much Killie bias just sounds cringeworthy in my opinion. 

We are looking down the road of ex-players alongside John and I at away matches but it’s very much an availability thing. Once we have identified players then we can have discussions with them. 

Any issues you have with pictures at away grounds are outwith our control we we effectively just “piggy back” on that for our stream as does every away team.

One thing I personally promise you is that, we try our best to give you the best experience as possible and when you’re not happy, we and more so myself, hurt and are disappointed in that. Those who are close to me will tell you that I am my worst critic and I am hard on myself as I simply strive to be better each week at my job. 

I’m never one to shy away from comments and criticism, hence why I’ve decided, with Scott McClymont’s backing, to reply to these messages.

I’m sorry again to those who feel I was sub-standard last night. I’ll take all the comments onboard and try my best to make it more enjoyable going forward.

KTID 

Gav 

7 hours ago, Gavin Wallace said:

Hi all.

I’m not long home from Dingwall and have had quite a bit time to think of my response to this thread.

First of all, I apologise if my commentary was below par last night. I actually said to Scott McClymont and Chris Kyle after the match that I wasn’t happy with my performance, so for that, I apologise.

Some of the comments, in my opinion lack a bit of tact, something which disappoints me as we are a classy club with classy supporters, however, myself and the commentary team are no different to the players when it comes to criticism or praise. I take it all on the chin and welcome both, please continue to do that.

I’m not going to lie, some of these comments did hurt a bit, I’m used to it though in my line of work but when people perhaps don’t understand the level of prep I put in to a match coupled with it coming from fellow fans, it’s slightly harder to take on the chin. I’d hope though that you’d tell me to my face, should you get the opportunity or if indeed we ever meet.

I’m in an unbelievably privileged position to be able to go to matches and all I try to do is describe the action as best as I can. I have to talk more than most tele commentators as we are providing an audio / radio service as well as pictures, for that, I make no apologies as I want all our subscribers and fans to have the best possible experience so I have to aim it more at those not able to get the pictures. 

I think some of the comments about Alan are a bit too much but again, you pay your money and you are more than entitled to your opinion, again, we welcome this. 

Our new away match co-commentator, John Boyd, wasn’t with us last night as his wife is due their first child this Saturday so there was no way we were letting him travel nor did he want to. Family comes first. John should be back with us for Rangers away shortly. Alan is there for the older generation of fan as I think he connects more with them whereas John connects more with those who have a more technical mind towards the game. 

My vision for our commentary is that we be biased towards Killie at all times but we have to say things as we see it. If we are playing poorly it’s our job to tell you this, if the opposition is playing superbly, we have to tell you this etc etc but always keep a Killie bias however, too much Killie bias just sounds cringeworthy in my opinion. 

We are looking down the road of ex-players alongside John and I at away matches but it’s very much an availability thing. Once we have identified players then we can have discussions with them. 

Any issues you have with pictures at away grounds are outwith our control we we effectively just “piggy back” on that for our stream as does every away team.

One thing I personally promise you is that, we try our best to give you the best experience as possible and when you’re not happy, we and more so myself, hurt and are disappointed in that. Those who are close to me will tell you that I am my worst critic and I am hard on myself as I simply strive to be better each week at my job. 

I’m never one to shy away from comments and criticism, hence why I’ve decided, with Scott McClymont’s backing, to reply to these messages.

I’m sorry again to those who feel I was sub-standard last night. I’ll take all the comments onboard and try my best to make it more enjoyable going forward.

KTID 

Gav 

Class Gav, you shouldn’t need to explain yourself thou.

Everyone has off days, no one is perfect. Would people say things to your face, no but it’s ok to sit behind a screen and say it like it’s not going to hurt. Of course it’s gonna hurt, and like you said if only people knew how much prep goes into a match day.Keep doing what you are doing.

KTID WeAreKillie <3

Edited by KillieGem

Chrissy

2 minutes ago, ChrissyRoss said:

For those not happy with the co-commentators i'd say give them time. Like anything in life, the more experience they have, the better it will be.

Not disagreeing with anything you say but the system has been up and running for a year. 

Gav generally commentated on away matches last season because of his MC commitments  at home. 

Alan was a regular contributor at home and away matches. 

A variety of others made up the team, some better than others. 

22 hours ago, Gavin Wallace said:

Hi all.

KTID 

Gav 

you do a great all round job for the club pal , forget the muppets who moan or the snowflakes who complain 

1 minute ago, Steppskillie said:

Appreciate Gav's reply. Personally I think Gav does a brilliant job around the club. Easily the best PA pre-match announcer in Scotland. His commitment to Killie is without doubt. Keep up the good work. Its always more easy to criticize than do the job yourself. 

I complete the Scotland experience survey after every international match. Every time I suggest Big Gav should get the announcing gig as he would be far better at creating a decent pre match atmosphere than the current offering.  

Bodged effort to edit there.

Edited by Steppskillie

Being exiled I`ve had Killie TV since inception . Have to say always enjoy Gav`s enthusiasm and commentary .

Alan C a bit dour and dull however he`s doing his best and is clearly a Killie fan , All in all it is a good 

service and long may it continue . agree that former players guesting in would be good