O'Donnell to Motherwell

SOD believed he would get a move to a championship team in England. His new agent is Barry Hughes. Hardly the most trusted person. There’s no doubt he was badly advised. Then with Covid it would have messed up a lot of deals. This is clearly him signing a deal as he and no other option. 

Just now, skygod said:

He's a better player than Millen but Millen's working like a Trojan and is playing for the shirt. I think it's disrespectful to call him a reserve.

I think if you look back at the thread before the first game of the season to the projected team line ups, you won’t find millens name. Even after a good game at hibs most posters suggesting line up for Celtic game did include him ( harshly). So maybe there is a general consensus for 1 game he is a first pick. I don’t accept ( and it’s backed my managers picking him and continuing to make significAnt match altering contributions) that he dropped effort. It’s a human reaction to the fact that he wouldn’t pledge his future to killie. We look at performances through a different lense. Every missed pass is suddenly recognised, cross that evaded him is scrutinised). Massive player and huge contributor to the best killie team I’ve witnessed. And to think a killie player could get double figure caps whilst playing for us. Growing up watching Lenny low, joe Reid, ally Macleod, Rusty harness...I never thought I’d see the day.

4 minutes ago, killiekosmos said:

He took a gamble leaving us, hoping to get a big move to England (or at least a big pay increase in England).

Now unemployed for about 3 months, no big deal materialised so he takes a short-term deal probably on similar wages to what we paid.

I think he has made some bad choises.

I don't bear him any ill-will - he has to make decisions based on what is best for him and his family. 

He became a better footballer by being at Killie and might live to regret leaving us.

A fair summary.

5 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I think if you look back at the thread before the first game of the season to the projected team line ups, you won’t find millens name. Even after a good game at hibs most posters suggesting line up for Celtic game did include him ( harshly). So maybe there is a general consensus for 1 game he is a first pick. I don’t accept ( and it’s backed my managers picking him and continuing to make significAnt match altering contributions) that he dropped effort. It’s a human reaction to the fact that he wouldn’t pledge his future to killie. We look at performances through a different lense. Every missed pass is suddenly recognised, cross that evaded him is scrutinised). Massive player and huge contributor to the best killie team I’ve witnessed. And to think a killie player could get double figure caps whilst playing for us. Growing up watching Lenny low, joe Reid, ally Macleod, Rusty harness...I never thought I’d see the day.

For the record. I think millen has been outstanding so far and totally merits his place. I hope he goes onto the heights that SOD achieved with us and Scotland. But the favourable comparison At this time is premature.

27 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Reckon SoD got caught out by covid and clubs in England cutting back. Word was that he was asking way too much for a few of the clubs down there.

Suspect we might have had him back if we hadn't replaced so quickly. 

Good luck to him maybe a extra £200 a month not the thousands he expected in the English championship

I see SOD has signed for Motherwell.

Does that mean they have offered him a deal we were unable to or it's been driven by the fact no other club was interested so took it as he will have no income? 

He says it's the lure of Europe but that cannot be the only deciding factor surely. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53771822

Good luck to him anyway.

Edited by Bigdodge
Error

• Lroy changed the title to O'Donnell to Dundee Utd
29 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

IMO he had burned his bridges and the management wouldn't have had him back when he rejected us more than once.

Not sure. I don't bear him any ill will. Took a chance on more money that he would likely have got if it wasn't for everything going on. 

That’s a shocker from the agents advising him. The big money dreams up in smoke and now signed for a team who’s manager dug out the players publicly last night for having agents turning their heads at better prospects down south. Irony doesn’t do it justice. 

If I was Liam Grimshaw I’d be very pissed off if I lose my place to a guy who’s only signed til Jan and has already stated he’s after bigger and better than clubs like ‘Well & Killie offer. 

1 minute ago, heynow2005 said:

I think he wouoda been better sticking with us but oh well

I think if you got him in a quiet corner he’d admit as much. Likely had the guarantee of more money (and profile) with the sheep whilst exploring more lucrative opps for he and his family down south. Covid bit his balls though. 

SODs desire to go somewhere better than Killie opened up the door to Millen, the lad has grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

With McGowan now having to really up it in training to get a slot we should be more than fine in this position.

As a person, best wishes SOD, but I don’t hope he does well at Motherwell, they are our closest opponents.

We do need to be a bit more grown up about players who decide to leave the club. Jones tweet apart there is nothing wrong with players moving on if they think it’s in their best interests and the move suits them. 
After all, don’t we get most of our players in exactly the same way?

As far as SOD is concerned there is no way on earth that when he left our contract unsigned he would have anticipated ending up at Motherwell. I don’t see that furthering his career at all. Given the climate he would have been wise to stay put.  

Edited by historyman

He spent a year acting like a dick, convinced he was getting a big money move to England. You’ve got to laugh. 

He is a talented player but I’ll take the hungry and determined Millen and Mcgown  ahead of the half-arsed SOD we had the last 12 months every day.