Angelo Alessio

43 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I don’t think there is any question that the players didn’t like alessio approach or generally have confidence in what he was asking them to do. Equally alessio was disappointed with the quality and the adaptability of the squad he took on. There is a plausible suggestion that the targets Alessio had could not be financially supported by the board. All of this smacks of really poor due diligence around the interview process. An assessment of his approach and an assurance on key expectations on transfers would have been central to any interview process surely? They must of know of the cultural differences between the Italian and UK hierarchy operates? 

Despite solid enough results there have been enough innuendo to suggest the players had had enough and that things were gonna get ugly. It left the board with a choice. They chose to side with the players and bring in a Man that was known and liked by them. At the expense of the former juventus, Chelsea and Italy assistant (with some management experience). An understandable call - the alternative of wide scale discontent leading to having to move a core of players under contract on in January being highly risky. Understandable but ultimately maybe the wrong call. The hypothesis - when the players get back to tried and tested ssc way or working all will be great - hasn’t played out ( yet).

We will never know how alessio would have done given time in the role, time to improve his English and time to completely overhaul the squad. Im not sure which way it would have gone but I bet it would have been fun finding out.

There were a few senior players that led the revolt against Alessio. A number of other players were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but the senior players turned them against Alessio.

I also think there was pressure from players who made it clear that they weren’t going to extend contracts if Alessio remained in charge. 

These players got what they wanted and some of them still didn’t sign new contracts or signed them and have failed to deliver under the man they wanted as manager. 

There may have been a mutiny that would have led to us getting relegated but that wasn’t going to help the players that wanted to leave in getting moves. 

Personally I think that the players that moved against the previous manager should have been shipped out regardless as you can’t have players ruling the club. 

Edited by MarkyMark

3 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Thinking back to some of those stories I wonder if Tsh was one of the players suggested by Dyer etc and turned down? 

The fact that he was sold that summer for £900k that would instantly rule us out.

I had from someone close to Bryson that we had done the leg work and he was under the impression that if Derby didn't win promotion and Frank Lampard left then he was committed to coming "home"

The offer wasn't forthcoming so he took the only other offer north of the border.

42 minutes ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

The fact that he was sold that summer for £900k that would instantly rule us out.

I had from someone close to Bryson that we had done the leg work and he was under the impression that if Derby didn't win promotion and Frank Lampard left then he was committed to coming "home"

The offer wasn't forthcoming so he took the only other offer north of the border.

That makes complete sense. 

2 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

Personally I think that the players that moved against the previous manager should have been shipped out regardless as you can’t have players ruling the club. 

Absolutely 100% agree, every one of them should have been shown the door.

We have been on a constant downward spiral since that day.

I wonder if they are starting to gather blame on Alex Dyer as we speak. 

1 hour ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Bet he's sorry now....

4 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

The board could have resisted bringing back Broadfoot, but didn't, although he had implicitly criticised their appointment of AA in the press.

Dyer has had enough time to create a squad. Also his first consecutive 6 games were losses. We seem to raise our game against Celtic and Rangers but can’t bury St Mirrens and Hamilton’s. This screams a lack of creativity and when we are expected to win we don’t create enough opportunities and more often than most especially recently canny defend or make individual errors. We work well in a shape defending deep if the impetus isn’t on creating. 
The minute we are to come out and dominate and score goals we seem to struggle offering much since probably last few months of Clarke days. Alessio held a solid shape and made us hard to beat we had poorer striking options then and he had us 5th in the league. 

I don’t think Dyer has a clue what his best team is. Broadfoot Millen and Waters would all have been back ups with 2 of them at St Mirren at least half of the year last season. Kiltie was at Dunfermline and then started first game of season off Kabamba and has been bombed to bench since.  

38 minutes ago, bizza_89 said:

I will always take every opportunity to remind the original poster that he was first to call for Alessio's head after 2 games. Haha you are all over the place mate!

Let's be real, just about the entire fanbase were calling for his head after the first 2 games (Nomads). I know I was.

1 hour ago, bizza_89 said:

I will always take every opportunity to remind the original poster that he was first to call for Alessio's head after 2 games. Haha you are all over the place mate!

Yep. Openly admitted that to you. But was won over with grinding out big results. Poor football at times, but as we discussed recently results matter.

40 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Is that the game where Dicker allegedly walked off the pitch at full time and straight out onto the bus without even changing? Or was that another game?

Don't blame him if that was the case.

Absolute Horror show at Livi that day from everybody at the club.

5 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Dyer has had enough time to create a squad. Also his first consecutive 6 games were losses. We seem to raise our game against Celtic and Rangers but can’t bury St Mirrens and Hamilton’s. This screams a lack of creativity and when we are expected to win we don’t create enough opportunities and more often than most especially recently canny defend or make individual errors. We work well in a shape defending deep if the impetus isn’t on creating. 
The minute we are to come out and dominate and score goals we seem to struggle offering much since probably last few months of Clarke days. Alessio held a solid shape and made us hard to beat we had poorer striking options then and he had us 5th in the league. 

I don’t think Dyer has a clue what his best team is. Broadfoot Millen and Waters would all have been back ups with 2 of them at St Mirren at least half of the year last season. Kiltie was at Dunfermline and then started first game of season off Kabamba and has been bombed to bench since.  

The way Hibs waltzed through our midfield that day it's easy to see why he swapped Dicker for Kiltie.

The middle still looks more secure when Dicker is in there than when he isn't.  Other aspects might be letting him down over the last year or so though.

When you have 8 (1 GK, 4 Def & 3 DM) players on the pitch who are all defensive minded and yet you still concede silly goals every week then their is a major issue.

People say we are good to watch, sorry it couldn't be further from the truth for me, we keep the ball well but have no cutting edge and it looks like we keep the ball for the sake of it rather than with a plan or purpose.

5 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

The continuity of selection in past 3 games suggests he believes he knows his best team and is rigidly sticking to it regardless of options from the bench. That sadly is one of the problems. 

Appointing Alessio was a huge mistake. He may well be a brilliant coach but he was totally the wrong man for a job with the resources we have. 

The fact he left after a player revolt seems to me inevitable. To those who say it was working I say that is like saying you nearly succeeded in reaching a donkey to live without food when it died.

Bringing back Broadfoot was another mistake. 

I wanted this Dyer thing to work but it seems to be coming ever more evident that was another mistake.