Nice guys finish last

Jamsie

“Played really well. A lot of positives to take. Great bunch of lads. They’re hurting in there. We work hard in training and go again next week.” Copyright Alex Dyer.

Im not one for chasing managers but I’ll make an exception since he’s not a manager. Dyer should never have been given the job, largely due to being a nice guy and getting “it” (are we fkn rangers?!) 

The players obviously don’t get a kick up the arse during the week and it’s showing in our weak performances. 

Mistakes and late goals conceded have become a theme under Dyer. If it happens now and again it’s a mistake, if it happens week after week it’s a poor environment they’re working in. 

Good performances and nice guys don’t show up on the league table. Move him on and get a ba***rd in who’ll drag them to the level they can get to! Burke, despite being 36, has been by far our best player this season purely based on his own drive. Not due to the “drill sargeant” pushing them. 

Another negative Kickback topic in such happy, friendly, nice guy times at our club. 

:8:

I don’t really care if we have a “great bunch of lads in the dressing room” Id much rather have a bunch of c**ts in there who are gonna ruffle some feathers and show some leadership on the park.

Same can be said for the manager, who needs to be able to leave the players in no uncertain terms what’s required and not be afraid to make unpopular decisions (i.e drop one of “the lads” out the team). Sadly I don’t think we have either in our team 

Just now, Jamsie said:

“Played really well. A lot of positives to take. Great bunch of lads. They’re hurting in there. We work hard in training and go again next week.” Copyright Alex Dyer.

Im not one for chasing managers but I’ll make an exception since he’s not a manager. Dyer should never have been given the job, largely due to being a nice guy and getting “it” (are we fkn rangers?!) 

The players obviously don’t get a kick up the arse during the week and it’s showing in our weak performances. 

Mistakes and late goals conceded have become a theme under Dyer. If it happens now and again it’s a mistake, if it happens week after week it’s a poor environment they’re working in. 

Good performances and nice guys don’t show up on the league table. Move him on and get a ba***rd in who’ll drag them to the level they can get to! Burke, despite being 36, has been by far our best player this season purely based on his own drive. Not due to the “drill sargeant” pushing them. 

Another negative Kickback topic in such happy, friendly, nice guy times at our club. 

:8:

The sad thing for me is that everything being said about Alex now was predicted by many when asked to takeover. Nice guy, yes. But trying to do the steve clarke thing without steve clarke was madness. It was always gonna be a cheap imitation. At least with Alessio there was a bold intent to change things and retain high ambition for the club. We are slowly allowing our expectations to be reset, lower and lower and lower. Dyer appointment is simply part of the decline from the high point of summer 2019. Many don’t seem to see the erosion of talent in what was there (Stewart, Jones, mulumbu, Taylor, SOD, millar, del fab). Some will say that’s the way it needs to go. Can’t attract that quality, can’t pay for it. Covid. We should be happy just to have a team....blah, blah. Other team face the challenge. It’s our relative decline over the last 18 months that alarming. But that starts at the board. We desperately need board bandwidth.

All you could hear all game but especially after we went down to 10 was Davidson barking at them to keep the tempo up, keep the ball moving, pressure us down the right etc etc.

Make no mistake St Johnstone are bang ordinary, did nothing of note before the hour mark, and yet will probably not get an easier 3 points away from home this season. 

2 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Title says it all. Dyer be great for a pint in the brass and granite but not a football manager. His hesitation to apply initially mixed with his record is pretty damning. 3 wins in 20. Ross county, Queen’s Park and Rangers 

Now these are some stats, 3 in 20 ffs. Locke, Johnstone and McCulloch won more. Im still clinging to some sort of hope, why? I have no idea!

31 minutes ago, killie89 said:

I thought he was the wrong appointment in January, the wrong appointment in the summer and nothing I have seen in these first four games has changed my mind. His win percentage is at Locke/McCulloch level and it feels like certain players have become undroppable. Power and Dicker seem to be guaranteed a starting slot no matter what they do, so if Tshibola is going to play then all 3 of them need to be in the team. For me there is absolutely no need for all 3 of them to start against the likes of Ross County and St Johnstone. There’s been a real lack of creativity in the team for over a year now and that will continue as long as he perseveres with that team. We are ridiculously reliant on a 36 year old to create and score goals (albeit a very good 36 year old). I’ve said a million times that I’d love to be proven wrong but I just don’t see the guy as management material.

This is exactly my thoughts. Well said.

What is it with us and persisting with giving the assistant managers the main job?

It worked with Kenny Sheils so maybe we think it'll work again?

Conversely all the new managers have had us reasonably comfortable, except maybe Johnston.

Clark left in 6th place

Steve Clarke 5th and 6th

Alessio sacked in 5th place

Locke, McCulloch and now Dyer all with shocking win%. 

People wonder why Ally Taylor won't commit to a longer term deal? Under this regime he'll be lucky to get a few appearances never mind starts as certain players are always picked and never rotated. Even now when you have 3 games in a week he doesn't use substitutes to keep the team fresh. 

If I was someone like EL Mak I'd be looking elsewhere, last season he hardly got a sniff under AD due to him preferring a midfield 4, cue 6 months later and he has bought Tish who walks straight into the team (his performances have justified that) and he adopts a midfield 5 to fit him in.

AD has clear favourites that is clear as day. I'd like to see a new manager come in and the whole squad have to prove their worth to an unbiased eye.

4 hours ago, killie89 said:

I thought he was the wrong appointment in January, the wrong appointment in the summer and nothing I have seen in these first four games has changed my mind. His win percentage is at Locke/McCulloch level and it feels like certain players have become undroppable. Power and Dicker seem to be guaranteed a starting slot no matter what they do, so if Tshibola is going to play then all 3 of them need to be in the team. For me there is absolutely no need for all 3 of them to start against the likes of Ross County and St Johnstone. There’s been a real lack of creativity in the team for over a year now and that will continue as long as he perseveres with that team. We are ridiculously reliant on a 36 year old to create and score goals (albeit a very good 36 year old). I’ve said a million times that I’d love to be proven wrong but I just don’t see the guy as management material.

AD seems to have recruited players to play 442

Then when Tish has become available he has changed to 433 / 451to as you say to accommodate all 3

Its all a bit 'lee mculloch'...

Guy never really convinced us that he wanted the job, players like him tho. Smacked of an easy option, I soooo want him to do well and win us over but its an awful awful record.

If he wasn't the right appointment straight after SC then he's not the right appointment now unfortunately. Really pains me to say it

Maybe you don’t think he should have been appointed manager and that’s fine. However he was, and he’s got to be given more than the first 4 games for me. 

There are comparisons to Locke and McCulloch but I would say he’s definitely shown he is more capable than they two. I’ve never felt going into a game we are going to lose by 3 or 4 at home to absolute dross. At the same time I’m not confident of getting a result even though we’ve been playing well. 

I would have to say we’ve been quite unlucky this season so far, the penalty decisions in Dingwall and some absolutely stupid mistakes from individual players against St Johnstone. Although if these keeps happening in the next 7 matches (first set of fixtures) and we don’t pick up results it’s probably time for a re-think.

10 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

Maybe you don’t think he should have been appointed manager and that’s fine. However he was, and he’s got to be given more than the first 4 games for me. 

He's had quite a bit longer than 4 games. He was appointed in January and was actually given money to spend in that window. He's had plenty of time to show his qualities and, as has already been mentioned, his win ratio is on par, with, if not worse than, Lee McCulloch & Gary Locke.

2 minutes ago, robkil said:

He's had quite a bit longer than 4 games. He was appointed in January and was actually given money to spend in that window. He's had plenty of time to show his qualities and, as has already been mentioned, his win ratio is on par, with, if not worse than, Lee McCulloch & Gary Locke.

He was appointed to the end of the season. Then given the job on a permanent basis after that. 

The board have given him the job for the new season so I think he needs longer than the first 4 matches. If the performances were poor to go along with the poor results then I would maybe be asking more questions sooner. However, I don’t think we are too far away from going on a decent run. Just need to cut out the stupid mistakes.

29 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

There are comparisons to Locke and McCulloch but I would say he’s definitely shown he is more capable than they two. I’ve never felt going into a game we are going to lose by 3 or 4 at home to absolute dross. At the same time I’m not confident of getting a result even though we’ve been playing well. 

I would have to say we’ve been quite unlucky this season so far, the penalty decisions in Dingwall and some absolutely stupid mistakes from individual players against St Johnstone. Although if these keeps happening in the next 7 matches (first set of fixtures) and we don’t pick up results it’s probably time for a re-think.

He’s had (I think) 18 games as manager now. Whether we lose by 3 or 4 at home to dross or we lose by a 94th minute winner at home to dross...we get 0 points. It’s obviously not working, why prolong the agony for another 7 games? So you can say we were nice to the nice guy and gave him every chance? 

Just now, Jamsie said:

He’s had (I think) 18 games as manager now. Whether we lose by 3 or 4 at home to dross or we lose by a 94th minute winner at home to dross...we get 0 points. It’s obviously not working, why prolong the agony for another 7 games? So you can say we were nice to the nice guy and gave him every chance? 

Do you know how many games Locke and McCulloch got as managers? Obviously that doesn’t mean Dyer has to get the same amount of time, but the performances under Dyer compared to the previous two at least should give him a bit more time than 4 games into a new season.