Youssouf Mulumbu

Pieboy

Youssouf Mulumbu close to third spell at Kilmarnock

Youssouf Mulumbu was a favourite with Kilmarnock fans

Congo midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu is close to agreeing a third stint at Kilmarnock.

The 33-year-old has been without a club for more than a year after being released by Celtic in May 2019.

He has been training with the Ayrshire club and the departure of Mohamed El Makrini could free up wages for the former West Brom and Norwich player.

El Makrini, who has not featured this season, has flown to Norway for talks with IK Start.

"If he decides to go that could allow us to do something with Youssouf," explained manager Alex Dyer. "If not then we still have a player who played a big part for us last season."

Scottish Premiership ins and outs

Mulumbu ended season 2018-19 on loan to Kilmarnock, playing 12 times.

He had moved to Celtic after impressing for the Rugby Park outfit during previous season but only made three appearances for the Scottish champions.

Dyer expressed doubts over Mulumbu returning to action in time for Saturday's game with Dundee United but said: "I'm sure we could get him ready to play even a bit part soon enough.

"He's not played for a while but a player of that ability never loses it.

"He's the type of character we could use around here. He's a great person and since he walked back in for training this week it's been like he's never been away."

6 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Is anyone else really not that excited about Mulumbu signing. Even a win tomorrow is only papering over the cracks and going to prolong this. Its a horrible scenario. 

Jeez, I can be overly negative sometimes but this is really going to far. At least try to see the positive in something

7 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Is anyone else really not that excited about Mulumbu signing. Even a win tomorrow is only papering over the cracks and going to prolong this. Its a horrible scenario. 

I'm excited by it - he's a great player to watch. But I'm not going to tell you what to be excited by.

7 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

I get your antipathy in the bigger picture, but Lee McCulloch signed players who he couldn’t get the right tune out of, yet proved very valuable in pushing the club forward when the right man was given the reigns. If we have the basis of a stronger squad than last year, that can only be a good thing if a change in manager is needed, rather than him coming in and wanting a huge overhaul - with no budget. 

21 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

I can kinda see where your coming from and I’m not as excited by Mulumbu as I was the previous times. However I’m prepared to give it a chance, hoping he might be the spark that might get our season going even though I remain totally unconvinced Dyer can turn this around 

As a club we have to be constantly looking to sign better than what we have. Bringing in Mulumbu(if he can find fitness and form) does that. I’m looking forward to seeing him in stripes again

The only issue I have is we are still screaming out for quality in other areas which we could possibly address rather than bring in another CM. We’ve looked toothless upfront, still to reliant on Burke to create and we have very little pace in the team.