Youssouf Mulumbu

Pieboy

Very interested to see what we do now. I don’t see Mulumbu as the creative playmaker other have touted him as. He’s a more advanced midfielder than what we have already. His qualities have allowed us to be more dominant and play further up the park in the past. He can pull the passes out at times and chips in more goals than Dicker or Power but for me his strength is more in letting us control games and be on the front foot.

I can see us sticking with a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Mulumbu in the side. I’m not convinced we'll go with him in a midfield two. Not straight away anyway. Have him the more advanced of a middle three probably with Dicker and Tshibola at the moment or play him behind the striker with Burke right and another wide player on the left. 

4 hours ago, historyman said:

While I would be delighted if he turns it round I believe he is out of his depth and lacks the experience to instil confidence and successful systems into the team. 

Excellent post but so long that I won’t quote it all! 

I read a report of Mickey Mellon’s pre-match interview yesterday in which he mentioned that he knew AD from having done their Pro licence together. 

I don’t know when this was but Mellon has managed Fleetwood Town, guiding them to the Football League, and Shrewsbury and Tranmere for over 300 matches combined. 

AD has no management experience aside from his time as assistant to Chris Powell and SC. 

Mellon is a proper manager in his own right while AD is still a novice in the role. And Mellon’s six years younger. 

This might not be due to any fault on AD’s part. His experience compared to Mellon’s might reflect how hard it is for ethnic minority coaches to get management positions. 

But that is neither here nor there. The fact is we have employed an inexperienced manager, not just in comparison with Mellon but by any measure. 

The board have put a lot of faith in AD and we just have to hope that it’s well placed. 

Edited by skygod

35 minutes ago, piffer said:

Very interested to see what we do now. I don’t see Mulumbu as the creative playmaker other have touted him as. He’s a more advanced midfielder than what we have already. His qualities have allowed us to be more dominant and play further up the park in the past. He can pull the passes out at times and chips in more goals than Dicker or Power but for me his strength is more in letting us control games and be on the front foot.

I can see us sticking with a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Mulumbu in the side. I’m not convinced we'll go with him in a midfield two. Not straight away anyway. Have him the more advanced of a middle three probably with Dicker and Tshibola at the moment or play him behind the striker with Burke right and another wide player on the left. 

I see Mulumbu in the same light that you do. Not a creative 10 who is going to create lots of chances and score lots of goals but can play more advanced and allow us to retain that ball. Different player from Dicker, Power or Tishbola.

I could see him fitting into a diamond with Power or Dicker at the base in front of the defence and Mulumbu at the top of the diamond.

Given Mulumbu’s ability to win and retain the ball I think he could develop into a defensive midfielder as he comes to the end of his career. His game isn’t dependent on pace. 

I think Celtic bought him to fill that type of role. 

Edited by MarkyMark

Mulumbu's signing i think mean we will continue to play the 433 system. He is not an attacking or creative minded player in my eyes, As said above he is more adaptable and can play further forward. Dicker for me is only suitable in the holding role in front of the back four and so should be the player to drop out the side when all are fit.

I am pretty sure that Tishbola would be a better player in the DM position, Taking the ball from the centre defenders and linking play. I think players Tish/Power/Mulumbu gives Dyer more chance to switch Tactics as the match evolves.

The main attributes that Mulumbu gives us is mobility, Composure and workrate. Also he has good vision and is a move ahead of most players. 

I do think the 6 months is linked to Dyer though. 

He was a defensive midfielder (water carrier) earlier in his career till Clarke got hold of him at WBA and put more trust in him and gave him more responsibility. He is now a more rounded CM but as he gets older I'd expect him to drop a bit deeper (ala Dicker but more technical).

A number 10 he certainly isn't but I can see us giving him a similar role with less defensive responsibility till he is match fit. His presence on the pitch will certainly give the place a lift (just a pity we aren't allowed in yet)

4 hours ago, historyman said:

Maybe it’s the absence of any other solid reason that leads people to the ‘nice guy’ conclusion because it’s certainly not his record which has been posted on here as one if the worst in the clubs history. Even worse than Gary Locke. 
He has been in charge of the team for 17 league games and won 3 of them. His teams are conceding on average more than 2 goals per game and haven’t kept one clean sheet yet fans don’t seem to be alarmed that this shocking statistic doesn’t seem to be a priority for the management team. The team will not win a lot of games by conceding at that rate. 
However, point out these FACTS rather than simply opinions and all you get is shouted down as being negative. For example, the mere suggestion that it would be better to wait and see what the new recruits were like before praising Fowler and Dyer for a successful transfer window, also gets shot down as negativity. Indeed comments like that actually lead to the accusation from someone I have never met that I want the club to fail. 
Everyone wants the club to succeed, everyone wants AD to succeed but when the same mistakes are made again and again (failure to see out games from good positions, conceding sloppy goals, poor use of substitutions, isolated strikers with no support, inability to be flexible with tactics for example) there clearly has to be a questioning of his ability in the role. 
While I would be delighted if he turns it round I believe he is out of his depth and lacks the experience to instil confidence and successful systems into the team. 
When I share that view and attempt to back it up with some facts and opinions I would like to think that my fellow Killie supporters in the forum would give it airtime rather than dismiss it out of hand as simply being negative because it doesn’t support the manager. 
At the moment I don’t know what I think about the re-signing of Mulumbu. I would have been happier if he had signed this time last year or in January and I do find it amusing when I see the transformation in comments that people made when he left for Celtic and got bossed by Tshibola. It seems SOD is now the devil incarnate for running down his contract and being available for every game when is club needed him. My God how we miss him and Taylor - both of whom remain in the Scotland squad. 
Like others I believe if there was money available it would have been better spent on a better goalkeeper and a centre half. I’m not sure the new midfield will be able to take the pressure off the defence and that has been one of the problems this season. Or even someone to inject pace into the team and get us up the park. Kabamba must be slowest ex-sprinter I’ve seen. 
So we go into tomorrow which is a very important game as we are running out of games that we are supposed to win. If we don’t win I would like to see us in the market for a new manager but I doubt very much that will happen. However, when it does, and I strongly believe that will be the case in the next few months, the next move from the board will be critical. If Fowler is appointed as the replacement I imagine a lot of fans will be disappointed. 

Accurate and honest.

Like you I want to Dyer to succeed but I can the scenario you predict having a fairly good chance of playing out. 

Some good commentary on this over the last few hours. Mulumbu is a good signing. No question. He is not the creative spark that’s missing though. Doesn’t mean on occasion he would make the assist - like all players he’s capable. But he’s an all action dynamic midfielder who brings calm and strength into the team. He was part of a creative unit at our peak. But others like jones brought the creativity and space for forwards. As for the connection with dyer, I don’t think it’s a huge factor. He’s scc man. The only reason he was or is here is that connection. He’s got a relationship with dyer and some of the players and now the fans. All factors that bring familiarity. Dyer leaving would have little or no impact imo. 

It will take the signing of a big name player with no previous association with our club to get me excited about Folwer/Dyer/Bowie ability to sell out club in a competitive market. We haven’t shown this yet.

But mulumbu should be a good signing and can make a difference once he’s fully up and running. Good to have him back.

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Some good commentary on this over the last few hours. Mulumbu is a good signing. No question. He is not the creative spark that’s missing though. Doesn’t mean on occasion he would make the assist - like all players he’s capable. But he’s an all action dynamic midfielder who brings calm and strength into the team. He was part of a creative unit at our peak. But others like jones brought the creativity and space for forwards. As for the connection with dyer, I don’t think it’s a huge factor. He’s scc man. The only reason he was or is here is that connection. He’s got a relationship with dyer and some of the players and now the fans. All factors that bring familiarity. Dyer leaving would have little or no impact imo. 

It will take the signing of a big name player with no previous association with our club to get me excited about Folwer/Dyer/Bowie ability to sell out club in a competitive market. We haven’t shown this yet.

But mulumbu should be a good signing and can make a difference once he’s fully up and running. Good to have him back.

This 100%.  Great to have him back and hopefully it's a McAllister, Strachan style signing where it would be great to have them in their prime but the footballing brain carries them forward to a new role and pro-longs their career, and their a great asset in their later years..   6 months just now, but he seems like  a guy that takes cares of himself physically and who knows, in the  right role it could be 6 years.

I don't get the Dyer love-in I'm afraid.  Lovely guy from what I see but his record is on a par with Locke, McCulloch.  Ok, arguably the football may be more attractive at times but perhaps time to judge him on what he's done rather than just what SSC achieved with Dyer beside him

Edited by Larkhall2

11 minutes ago, Larkhall2 said:

This 100%.  Great to have him back and hopefully it's a McAllister, Strachan style signing where it would be great to have them in their prime but the footballing brain carries them forward to a new role and pro-longs their career, and their a great asset in their later years..   6 months just now, but he seems like  a guy that takes cares of himself physically and who knows, in the  right role it could be 6 years.

I don't get the Dyer love-in I'm afraid.  Lovely guy from what I see but his record is on a par with Locke, McCulloch.  Ok, arguably the football may be more attractive at times but perhaps time to judge him on what he's done rather than just what SSC achieved with Dyer beside him

I don’t get this patter. It’s the same as what Gaz was saying above. Where is this love in? If anything I would say the majority opinion on this board is that Dyer isn’t the right man for the job. 

There is definitely not a ‘love in’. 

Just now, Larkhall2 said:

So you don't have a love in.  Fair enough, but there are plenty of Dyer fans out there and all I am saying is if it were one of his predecessors their name would be mud on here, not simply not the right man for the job.  

I think this is very true. Had he not been involved with SC then the witch hunt would have started by now. Too many fans clinging on to the Clarke connection as well it appears as the board. Dyer has been part of one successful regime. As it stands he’s also been part of a failed one and is spearheading another which is heading in the wrong direction. 

30 minutes ago, Larkhall2 said:

So you don't have a love in.  Fair enough, but there are plenty of Dyer fans out there and all I am saying is if it were one of his predecessors their name would be mud on here, not simply not the right man for the job.  

There are people that want Dyer to do well. Like any other previous manager I would say he deserves more time and certainly more than 5 games in to a new season. 

People keep saying he had games last season etc. But the fact is he was offered the job permanently at the end of the season, so the board made their decision and trusted he was the man to take us forward. Sacking him after 5 games would be a ridiculous and knee jerk reaction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Bobby Street Roll said:

Having paid his wages while he got fit it surely makes sense to keep him at least until the summer rather than let someone else take advantage of our ground work. I suspect he’ll never have at the fitness levels we’d like but his football brain should compensate.

Get him resigned still a top class player

Offer an 18 month contract.

Build the team around him. 

Drop dicker in next to Findlay. Broadfoot is slow, old and past it. Start playing football. 

4-2-3-1 with tish/Mulumbu holding with Kiltie in front. And for Christ sake sign a left sided winger with pace and a brain.