Crowd test events

piffer

18 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Not according to Neil Doncaster or the latest BBC update, 15 mins ago..... both test events go ahead.

Fairly sure she said in response to a jurno question........Wait until I make my statement tomorrow (Thursday), she suggested she would be reeling a few things back in, when asked why 300 people in Aberdeen could attend a football match when numbers on the rise.

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Fairly sure she said in response to a jurno question........Wait until I make my statement tomorrow (Thursday), she suggested she would be reeling a few things back in, when asked why 300 people in Aberdeen could attend a football match when numbers on the rise.

The numbers are coming back down in aberdeenshire though  compared to the data during the recent spike.

Just now, Beaker71 said:

clueless.  I bet you think wearing a mask does nothing as well.

I've had the thing as has the wife both mild cases and we still struggle climbing stairs and stuff, breathlessness and other longer term issues, the more serious cases are a lot lot worse.

Folks pretending its JUST a virus are absolutely clueless.

Where did I say it was “just” a virus?

it is a virus, fact.

sorry to hear you were unwell but there is still no evidence that what we have now is worse than some of the other viruses that are around us.

if the authorities hadn’t shamelessly punted the sick and elderly out of hospital and into care homes etc then the mortality rate in the UK wouldn’t be far off that of previous years where we had bad bouts of flu.

the certainty is that if we don’t open things back up we will see severe poverty and that is the biggest killer of all worldwide.

how much longer do you think businesses such as KFC will survive without paying customers.

certainly not clueless...,

by the way I am wearing a mask but there still actually isn’t any compelling evidence that they do any good.

6 minutes ago, dasboag said:

How about the low transference rate of the virus among practising health professionals, who come in direct contact with infected people daily wearing masks?

Even the WHO are concerned that face coverings give a false sense of protection.

goverments changed their minds

yes, no, yes maybe, yes

hardly compelling evidence......

11 minutes ago, Richaway said:

Where did I say it was “just” a virus?

it is a virus, fact.

The inference in your words that its a virus FFS.

Its a highly contagious virus which as was shown has the potential to infect exponentially to the point where helathcare is overwhelmed.   Other viruses whixh we've lived with do NOT do that.

sorry to hear you were unwell but there is still no evidence that what we have now is worse than some of the other viruses that are around us.

Appreciated, but the last bit is Trumpism personified and absolute bollocks.

if the authorities hadn’t shamelessly punted the sick and elderly out of hospital and into care homes etc then the mortality rate in the UK wouldn’t be far off that of previous years where we had bad bouts of flu.

This is also simply not the case, the excess death rates are much higher in every country in the world.

the certainty is that if we don’t open things back up we will see severe poverty and that is the biggest killer of all worldwide.

how much longer do you think businesses such as KFC will survive without paying customers.

certainly not clueless...,

by the way I am wearing a mask but there still actually isn’t any compelling evidence that they do any good.

The last bit is just, Wow, how out of touch with reality can folk be.

4 minutes ago, Richaway said:

Even the WHO are concerned that face coverings give a false sense of protection.

goverments changed their minds

yes, no, yes maybe, yes

hardly compelling evidence......

Masks or the right masks protect others not you.  Thats the whole point of them.

There's plenty evidence and the naysayers evidence is all bulls**t.  Fk me one of taik anti masters on the trump administration died from covid!

7 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Who in your family would you sacrifice so that the football and everything else can get back to normal?

Stupid point.

i didn’t know there was such a choice.

im willing to take the risk as are my other family members.

those that think the risk is too great simply don’t go.

It's getting to the point where I think (and I've been pretty supportive of the measures so far) that the long terms effects of these lockdown measures are going to have a bigger impact negatively on society than the virus ever will.

There are 7,500 alcohol deaths in the UK alone - we still sell alcohol everywhere. Are these deaths just seen as collateral damage as it makes the government money?

There were over 16,000 cancer deaths last year along in Scotland. Is the risk of COVID so high that we can keeping putting back cancer treatments? I know a couple of close friends and family who've found lumps/concerns and had the assessment via Zoom - how long can we go on doing that?

There are 1000s of folk each week losing their jobs and that's with furlough. We are looking at 10+% unemployment by end of the year.

I fully support WFH, face masks in public etc until their is a vaccine but something has to give and these measures will kill the economy stone dead.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's getting to the point where I think (and I've been pretty supportive of the measures so far) that the long terms effects of these lockdown measures are going to have a bigger impact negatively on society than the virus ever will.

There are 7,500 alcohol deaths in the UK alone - we still sell alcohol everywhere. Are these deaths just seen as collateral damage as it makes the government money?

There were over 16,000 cancer deaths last year along in Scotland. Is the risk of COVID so high that we can keeping putting back cancer treatments? I know a couple of close friends and family who've found lumps/concerns and had the assessment via Zoom - how long can we go on doing that?

There are 1000s of folk each week losing their jobs and that's with furlough. We are looking at 10+% unemployment by end of the year.

I fully support WFH, face masks in public etc until their is a vaccine but something has to give and these measures will kill the economy stone dead.

A social club in Dumfries has announced they're closing their doors today. This club had functions every weekend and were always sold out in events nights.

They had outside caterers, events managers. The acts themselves.

A total knock on effect here that whatever happens in the not too distant future they need to find a fair middling between unemployment along with mental health, and the virus itself.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Difference is, I can choose not to drink, my vulnerable grandparents can choose not to drink and my high risk colleague can choose not to drink. With this virus, letting it go unchecked means it spreads to everyone. 

And your going to have even less access to essential medical care like cancer screening if the NHS is overwhelmed. 

There does have to be a balance, but the trouble is that winter is going to make it worse so we need to protect people. 

2 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

A social club in Dumfries has announced they're closing their doors today. This club had functions every weekend and were always sold out in events nights.

They had outside caterers, events managers. The acts themselves.

A total knock on effect here that whatever happens in the not too distant future they need to find a fair middling between unemployment along with mental health, and the virus itself.

Agreed.

I really hope the governments are as concerned about mental heath, homelessness, evictions, unemployment etc in the next few years as they have been about lockdown the country again based on less than a dozen deaths in the past month in Scotland.

Has to be a middle ground and I think by going back into these type of restrictions , coupled by furlough ending and mass unemployment that will follow then they'll then have social unrest to deal with as well as a a virus.

Folk losing their jobs en masse and having to make do with universal credit/jobseekers allowance whilst trying to keep a home/family on the go isnt going to end well.