Commute to Glasgow?

virtuocity

1 hour ago, virtuocity said:

Anyone do a daily commute to Glasgow from Ayrshire?  What’s the cheapest and/or best way nowadays? I know cheapest may not equate to best. 

The bus probably. Depending on which area of City you are heading but it should take around 35 mins into bothwell street area  

I drive (well pre covid) and its around £7 a day to park down Kingston bridge way. 

I haven't looked at the prices recently, but if you don't mind which mode of transport you use, look at the SPT Zonecard. It lets you use bus, train and subway, which can be handy if the M77 is closed or the trains are off.

If you pick the train, if you can, avoid the Scotrail Smartcard. I'm all for technology, but their system is so poorly implemented its significantly more hassle and less reliable than paper tickets. They were planning on moving to smartphone tickets, so wait for that.

The X76 from Kilmarnock to Glasgow hasn't taken 35 minutes since the M77 was extended in 2005. At peak times, it takes 15 minutes to get out of Killie or Glasgow, and the same dropping everyone off at the other end.

6 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I haven't looked at the prices recently, but if you don't mind which mode of transport you use, look at the SPT Zonecard. It lets you use bus, train and subway, which can be handy if the M77 is closed or the trains are off.

If you pick the train, if you can, avoid the Scotrail Smartcard. I'm all for technology, but their system is so poorly implemented its significantly more hassle and less reliable than paper tickets. They were planning on moving to smartphone tickets, so wait for that.

The X76 from Kilmarnock to Glasgow hasn't taken 35 minutes since the M77 was extended in 2005. At peak times, it takes 15 minutes to get out of Killie or Glasgow, and the same dropping everyone off at the other end.

Depends where you are leaving from, what time you need to be in Glasgow at etc. 

Best to drive and park at top of Southcraigs. If you can start work a bit later than 9am, then you can get to city centre in about half an hour. Even a 9:30 start makes a massive difference in when you would need to leave.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:46 AM, kilm53 said:

Don't drive, Parking is expensive and there is traffic wardens everywhere.... Bus is best 

Loads of free parking across the river (Salkeld Street etc) and only a short walk (10/15 min) into city centre. Right side of the river for getting on the M77 and avoiding the Kingston Bridge when going home.

Used to struggle to get parked their after 8AM but obviously much quieter now.

Edited by ross1987

On 8/24/2020 at 3:52 PM, Skora11 said:

Depends where you are leaving from, what time you need to be in Glasgow at etc. 

Best to drive and park at top of Southcraigs. If you can start work a bit later than 9am, then you can get to city centre in about half an hour. Even a 9:30 start makes a massive difference in when you would need to leave.

Same goes for the train - the 822 from Kilmarnock gets in at five past nine, so if you're close to the station and you can start a few minutes later it makes life much easier.