No Findlay for Scotland

k-man

9 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I’m not sure shankland was out of our price range. He got a rumoured 200k sign on fee and his salary would be equivalent to 2 top end salaries. This is maybe true.. There was however, interest in brophy at the time and we also sold GT. if we had sold brophy at that time we could have funded a purchase of shankland. It’s how you manage the selling and buying process. I’d rather have a smaller squad with a few key players earning more, supplemented by youth, than a large number of players most of whom are bang average. If we as a club accept that guys playing for championship clubs like shankland and Nesbit are out of our price range, it’s gonna be a steady decline. If these guys score loads of gaols for their clubs and move on, like dykes, for couple of million, I think they are well worth the salaries and the signing on fees. 

So you give an unproven Prem striker 2/3 times the rest of the senior squad? I’m sure that would go down well. 

1 hour ago, Skora11 said:

So you give an unproven Prem striker 2/3 times the rest of the senior squad? I’m sure that would go down well. 

I’d be prepared to back my judgement (or judgement of the football experts in the club) on a potential star, yes. And not be bothered about “Going down well”. It’s not a social club, it’s a business that should be striving for year on year Improvement. That means tough decisions on selling popular players, leaving senior players out and paying promising young stars higher wages. The idea that all players should be paid  similar or that older players get paid more is outdated (and actually perverse). Squad harmony is very important and needs to be worked on in many ways. A culture of consistency and fairness Is important but that should not touch pay. All the players would benefit from having a couple of stars in the team - we win more games so enhanced bonus - we finish higher up the league so enhanced bonus. And who knows we may even win something and I would hope that even the senior players are still in the game to win things.

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I’d be prepared to back my judgement (or judgement of the football experts in the club) on a potential star, yes. And not be bothered about “Going down well”. It’s not a social club, it’s a business that should be striving for year on year Improvement. That means tough decisions on selling popular players, leaving senior players out and paying promising young stars higher wages. The idea that all players should be paid  similar or that older players get paid more is outdated (and actually perverse). Squad harmony is very important and needs to be worked on in many ways. A culture of consistency and fairness Is important but that should not touch pay. All the players would benefit from having a couple of stars in the team - we win more games so enhanced bonus - we finish higher up the league so enhanced bonus. And who knows we may even win something and I would hope that even the senior players are still in the game to win things.

A potential star is just that though. He is still very unproven compared to players in the squad that are proven at that level. 

You sign a player on big wages and it doesn’t work, he’s not capable of making the step up for whatever reason, and you are left with someone that’s not good enough at Prem level getting paid 2/3 time’s that of players that are proven at that level. That makes it not only a massive risk financially, but also a massive risk for squad harmony etc. Killie can’t afford to take 670k punts (200k signing fee plus an additional wage of £3k p/w on a 3 year deal) on players that aren’t proven in the top tier of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, Skora11 said:

A potential star is just that though. He is still very unproven compared to players in the squad that are proven at that level. 

You sign a player on big wages and it doesn’t work, he’s not capable of making the step up for whatever reason, and you are left with someone that’s not good enough at Prem level getting paid 2/3 time’s that of players that are proven at that level. That makes it not only a massive risk financially, but also a massive risk for squad harmony etc. Killie can’t afford to take 670k punts (200k signing fee plus an additional wage of £3k p/w on a 3 year deal) on players that aren’t proven in the top tier of Scottish football.

I understand your point. It is a risk. There are no guarantees, even with a proven player. But I accept risk is higher with someone only stepping up a level. But I do think we need to take risks - it’s the only we we can punch above our weight. How do you compete with clubs with more resources unless we do things differently? Being able to spot talent and be willing to entice them to our club instead of our rivals is a key part of our ability to progress. And then knowing when to sell them and how to reinvest into the next young prospects. 

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I understand your point. It is a risk. There are no guarantees, even with a proven player. But I accept risk is higher with someone only stepping up a level. But I do think we need to take risks - it’s the only we we can punch above our weight. How do you compete with clubs with more resources unless we do things differently? Being able to spot talent and be willing to entice them to our club instead of our rivals is a key part of our ability to progress. And then knowing when to sell them and how to reinvest into the next young prospects. 

A few risks that don’t pay off and millions out of pocket. 

I would be much more comfortable investing more into the youth setup to bring through our own players. While still scouting the lower league, down south etc for players out of contract and looking for another chance. I wouldn’t feel comfortable paying players £5k p/w and extortionate signing on fee’s in the hope they can make the step up.