Alex Dyer stepping down from Scotland NT

CB

FORMER Newcastle United caretaker John Carver is set to join the Scotland backroom team after Kilmarnock manager Alex Dyer informed national team boss Steve Clarke he is unable to continue in his role.

Dyer’s team will have Betfred Cup group matches to take part during international breaks in October and November – and they will clash with Nations League games and the Euro 2020 play-offs.

Clarke is hopeful Carver, who helped the St James’s Park club avoid relegation from the Premier League in the 2015/16 season after taking temporary charge, will be brought on board this week.

“I’ve had a good conversation with Alex,” he said. “The biggest factor is SPFL matches in the October and November international breaks.

“The League Cup section games will be on those dates so it is impossible for Alex to be with the national team in October or November.

“I discussed coming to this camp with him, but he said he wanted to stay at Kilmarnock and concentrate on the job in hand.

“I’m looking for a new assistant or a new coach to come in. I’ve spoken to John Carver, who I have known for a long, long time. He is out of work at the moment and is enthusiastic to come and join us.

“It’s been finalised that Alex won’t be there. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will secure John and he can come up and help us.”

Meanwhile, Clarke has expressed hope the Tartan Army can return to cheer on Scotland soon – but insisted playing games in empty stdaiums because of the coronavirus crisis won’t impact on his side’s performances.

"For me it will be a new experience, but fortunately the players will be used to it and have had that experience of playing behind closed doors,” he said.

"We would love the Tartan Army, or part of the Tartan Army, to be there but it's not possible. The times are unprecedented and you can't sit here and moan about not getting people in the stadium when there is so much going on in the world just now.

"We'll be guided by the authorities and officials and hopefully given a fair crack of the whip or a break from the virus we can start towards getting supporters back in the stadium.

"Whether that happens in October or November we just have to wait and see and be guided by the people that make the decision.

"The most important thing is getting on top of the virus and learn how to live with it. I don't think it's going away so we have to learn how to live with it and get as many people back to some kind of normal life."

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18675493.former-newcastle-united-caretaker-john-carver-set-join-scotland-coaching-staff-alex-dyer-steps-back/

48 minutes ago, red_dug said:

.... plenty of others have had the luxury of being able to do both jobs with no conflict.

When their clubs had first team matches at the same time?

Scotland play on 11 and 14 October and we play Dunfermline on 13th. 

He would be slaughtered if we lost while he was away working with Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, skygod said:

That was the point I was making. He is unfortunate that there is now a clash when in the past this was never the case

14 minutes ago, Silent Bob said:

Seems fairly obvious it’s to do with us having first team games at the same time.  

That and also had been agreed few weeks back , was just publicly confirmed yesterday during the press conference 

SC had already made arrangements for his replacement.

6 hours ago, skygod said:

I'm hoping he isn't in charge by the 13th October if results haven't got any better

3 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

I think he should have stayed in Scotland post and joined the Scotland team permanently and no bother coming back here. No harm to him but that’s the type of role that suits him. 

He could be out of two jobs soon if we don’t get a victory this week. 

I actually think we will win this weekend but if we dont hes in big bother