st mirren match, Fred

CB

7 minutes ago, Bobby Street Roll said:

At the moment it’s all about getting points on the board. As a wee niggle I’d like to see subs earlier to give fringe players match experience. We’re sticking very closely to a small core group.

My only complaint today was we didn’t try to be pro active second half. Only one change despite being on the back foot for most of the half. I guess we were restricted with personnel as we already had the middle three on and we were unlikely to go for a four at that point. McKenzie was the only obvious sub. Perhaps that’s another difference to the top coaches. They see more than the obvious

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

My only complaint today was we didn’t try to be pro active second half. Only one change despite being on the back foot for most of the half. 

I didn't see the game today, but I've seen Dyer do this before and wondered if its a Clarke trick. He used to do the same. 

As someone in the thread said, St Mirren weren't scoring, so the logic seems to be to lean into that and just let the game play out. And it worked today. 

Wonder if there is method in it or just a wariness to change things. 

Just now, mitch14 said:

I didn't see the game today, but I've seen Dyer do this before and wondered if its a Clarke trick. He used to do the same. 

As someone in the thread said, St Mirren weren't scoring, so the logic seems to be to lean into that and just let the game play out. And it worked today. 

Wonder if there is method in it or just a wariness to change things. 

I don’t recall Clarke letting the game play out. I can certainly remember games where he just killed it. Today seemed risky. In fairness though after what I thought was a nervy first half the defence were solid and saw it out restricting St Mirren to nothing. 

Really good resolute performance today especially in the 2nd half. Absolutely controlled the 1st half with Tshibola and Kiltie excellent. Probably l no coincidence when they fell out the game slightly in the 2nd half we lost a bit of our attacking impoteus. Defensively though we were solid and limited St Mirren to very little.

If we can follow this up with good results against Motherwell and Livi then it could turn out to be a good 1st round of fixtures.

5 minutes ago, piffer said:

I don’t recall Clarke letting the game play out. I can certainly remember games where he just killed it. Today seemed risky. 

I remember a bunch of games where he didn't make any substitutes at all, which made me nervy. Point taken though that we were more effective at killing the game off under Clarke. Away at Motherwell I remember Clarke just letting Motherwell batter us with crosses for ninety minutes because he knew we could defend them all day long, and we picked them off on the break. 

I'm with you on wanting to be more proactive. Would love to have someone off the bench that can give us something different and but games like today beyond doubt. 

Dyer done brilliant for 1st half today. We were unplayable, disappointing we didnt score a second.

2nd half not quite so much. I thought he needed to change it up a bit to try and kill the game. That stupid Broadfoot elbow, or Morais missing the ball could have cost us 2 point from absolutely nothing cause they were pish.

We definitely didn’t have the control at shutting down the game today that we had under SC but St Mirren didn’t have any real quality to really trouble us.

I loved a Steve Clarke shutdown - thought it was a joy to watch us shuffling side to side - total control out of possession and knowing we were very unlikely to concede.