Saints match, Fred

CB

What really got me in the post match interview was saying "it was always going to be 1-0 or a mistake and unfortunately it went to them". As a manager you should look at the way a game is going and realise you can make substitutions to change it. He should have looked at the game and thought ok St Johnstone aren't doing much here, let's make some positive subs and take the game to them. But instead it looks like he thought we might fluke a goal here and kept things as they were. I don't know if that's down to lack of experience or poor management but that's not how we are going to get into the top 6.

10 hours ago, drmurray said:

Spot on... last season we had fullbacks that went beyond our wide men.. The way we play since Clark joined, is to keep it narrow and have fullbacks that push up. Folks will shout me down but I'd drop both fullbacks and see if we can get more going forward.  It takes ages to get the ball forward on the ground.. we are so static and slow at full back we end up passing it back to KB and SF to hoof up as they are closed down quickly by teams that know we are negative up the wings. Punting the ball to Burke with his back goal 40 yards out gets us no were except back the fullback and the to CB to hoof up.

Try new fullbacks in cup games and 2 upfront and see what we create

This, SOD and GT were as good as it gets at killie but the current set up not working and our forward players are not good enough to carry the attacking threat themselves. Waters has done well defensively. And millen showed some attacking threat early season. But it’s time to try another model. 

I didn’t like his post match interview on KTV at all. Seems as if he’s been set on not changing the team for weeks and was only if ever interested in giving fringe players a shot in the cup games no matter what happened in the league or how bad others were. We were told pre season there would be no guarantees but that’s clearly out the window and blind loyalty has prevailed. It worried me that he spoke of guys who’ve been through it before. Does that mean he’s going to stick with the same again. 

He goes on and on about hard work. I despair when I hear that from a manager as it brings back scary memories of Locke. What are we working on though. We had no shape, no obvious game plan, were second to every ball, far from the fittest team in the league, we don’t have amazing set piece routines. What are we working on Alex?

I'd love to know what was said post match in the dressing room. I don’t get the feeling he’s went through the players for that. He looked lost.

55 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

This, SOD and GT were as good as it gets at killie but the current set up not working and our forward players are not good enough to carry the attacking threat themselves. Waters has done well defensively. And millen showed some attacking threat early season. But it’s time to try another model. 

I’ve been advocating going three at the back for weeks. If the fullbacks aren’t making a significant contribution and you don’t want to give their replacements the opportunity of a run of games*, it seems common sense that you need to change formation. 

* AD watches them in training so we have to assume he has his reasons. 

For all the good times watching Killie there have been a lot of games like last night too. It makes me wonder why I invest so much time and money watching football, Scottish football, and Killie in particular. For a top flight Scottish game it was bloody awful, poor visibility, refereeing which didn't allow the game to flow, and an obvious lack of skill from both sides. I need to lock that game in a mental cupboard and throw away the key. Hopefully, that is the low point of the season, if not AD could be on his way out. 

45 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

For all the good times watching Killie there have been a lot of games like last night too. It makes me wonder why I invest so much time and money watching football, Scottish football, and Killie in particular. For a top flight Scottish game it was bloody awful, poor visibility, refereeing which didn't allow the game to flow, and an obvious lack of skill from both sides. I need to lock that game in a mental cupboard and throw away the key. Hopefully, that is the low point of the season, if not AD could be on his way out. 

No that’s exactly the type of game where you look to 1 of the players or the manager to come up with something to change the game.

Kiltie and Burke were our only 2 creative players on the pitch and we were more interested in hammering the ball to Kabamba than trying to get them involved in the game or getting the fullbacks up to help them.

The manager did nothing to try and turn it from a crap game into 1 where we’ve taken control and then won it comfortably. His post match interview proves that. He seemed happy to see it out for a 0-0 or hope for 1 chance to fall our way to sneak a 1-0, rather than go 2 up top or get 1 of the 3 defensive midfielders off for Mulumbu or Rory to at least try and make something of the game.

Yes we get awful games, but for me the awfulness of last night lies partly with the players but mostly with the manager

13 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Grim. And yet, hit the crossbar and should have had a penalty... We wouldn't have deserved it, but we somehow had about as many clear cut chances as them... 

I'm sick of people giving it "if" or "but"

We got beaten again, their manager has obviously learned how to adapt to certain clubs in this league and he has only been in charge a few months with no experience prior to taking over. Our manager has had a whole year to sort this mess out and to bring in his own players to play his style but this is the best he can do?

People need to take their blinkers off and see this s**tshow for what it is, we are a mess and our manager has no clue how to turn it round, our upturn came when certain favourites were out and forced his hand into a 4-4-2. It wasn't great management it was lucky, as soon as we are back to a full quota we revert back to this 4-5-1 and return to shocking performances.

Dyer must go!

A nice guy he obviously is but a manager he ain't!

Just now, Wee_Eck1979 said:

I'm sick of people giving it "if" or "but"

We got beaten again, their manager has obviously learned how to adapt to certain clubs in this league and he has only been in charge a few months with no experience prior to taking over. Our manager has had a whole year to sort this mess out and to bring in his own players to play his style but this is the best he can do?

People need to take their blinkers off and see this s**tshow for what it is, we are a mess and our manager has no clue how to turn it round, our upturn came when certain favourites were out and forced his hand into a 4-4-2. It wasn't great management it was lucky, as soon as we are back to a full quota we revert back to this 4-5-1 and return to shocking performances.

Dyer must go!

A nice guy he obviously is but a manager he ain't!

You've taken me wrong here. We deserved to lose by a few goals. I was just meaning in the "football, bloody hell..." sense that it was bizarre that we were completely outplayed and had the better chances. 

But for what it's worth, all the blinkers chat is really boring. As ever, no one disagrees. Get some results in the next few games we'll be looking better. Don't and there will be broad agreement we should be on the phone to Tommy Wright. 

3 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Agree.  On the back of a good run of better results Mullen and Waters did not deserve to be dropped . However after three defeats without scoring we need to try to be more expansive.

Give McGowan and Haunstrup the two cup games to bed in and see how they look - particularly going forward

On reflection I think last night's performance was worse than I thought at the time.

Dyer's response to a flat performance? Another flat interview. 

There needs to be as radical a clear out as we can afford. Too many old players whose time is past. I can't see point in playing the same guys who fail most weeks and the ones on the bench must be disheartened that manager keeps selecting the same few regardless.

I try not to post on bad results, and rarely just after the whistle. 24 hours on I am still seething about the performance last night.

We weren't even second to most balls. Seven defenders on the park and they ran us ragged. Only St Johnstone's ineptness stopped them scoring a barrowload - which just highlights how bad we were.

Best three chances were to Kiltie, should have had a penalty and twice broke clear for Kabamba to ignore him.

We needed energy - McKenzie didn't get used and too late for Pinnock.

We needed creativity - Mulumbu didn't get used.

We needed goals - Kiltie off, Brophy 15minutes and we wasted time bringing Whitehall on in the last minute.

Dyer seemed happy enough for a 0-0 draw and did nothing to increase our chance of getting a 1 - 1 draw.

Still annoyed.

Although we cannot disagree that we were very poor last night let us put things into perspective  in that by some reason either good luck or whatever we are still in the mix for top 6. Are we the worst team among the other 8 teams striving for that as well no we are not once again fine margins decide most of the games  this year just look at aberdeens 2 goals last night they came from 2 hibs defensive bowlers but I do concede we have to improve quickly and the league cup games will give AD chance to in so many peoples opinion on here the chance to shake things up.

See all this Dyers a nice guy but , whether he’s nice or not is neither here nor there . His record is second if not third rate as are his tactics . 
He will however be kept on for the reasons mentioned previously , so let’s pray we somehow survive this year and have enough to pay him off at the end of the season . If we make the top 6  it will be a reflection on the quality of the league rather than Dyers ability IMO 

On 11/7/2020 at 8:50 AM, PillieKie said:

What really got me in the post match interview was saying "it was always going to be 1-0 or a mistake and unfortunately it went to them". As a manager you should look at the way a game is going and realise you can make substitutions to change it. He should have looked at the game and thought ok St Johnstone aren't doing much here, let's make some positive subs and take the game to them. But instead it looks like he thought we might fluke a goal here and kept things as they were. I don't know if that's down to lack of experience or poor management but that's not how we are going to get into the top 6.

That's incredibly worrying and to think you get mocked on here for saying he's not good enough 

On 11/7/2020 at 8:56 AM, Thebigguy68 said:

Waters seems to hit a brick wall at the half way line when In an attacking position. 

40 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Waters seems to hit a brick wall at the half way line when In an attacking position. 

I agree. But I noticed also that Power was frequently coming towards him for the short easy square pass, which he too often got.

Lack of confidence from Waters, poor decision making from Power.

15 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

See all this Dyers a nice guy but , whether he’s nice or not is neither here nor there . His record is second if not third rate as are his tactics . 
He will however be kept on for the reasons mentioned previously , so let’s pray we somehow survive this year and have enough to pay him off at the end of the season . If we make the top 6  it will be a reflection on the quality of the league rather than Dyers ability IMO 

Literally no one has used the excuse that Dyer is a ‘nice guy’ and should keep his job as a result, so I don’t understand why so many folk seem so keen to constantly use that pish patter

On 11/8/2020 at 9:19 AM, Killie lad said:

That's incredibly worrying and to think you get mocked on here for saying he's not good enough 

What forums are you reading? The majority on here want Dyer sacked. Probably the same lot that wanted Alessio sacked, and then claimed we sacked him too early and how ridiculous that was of the board when we were sitting in the top six. Ring any bells? Not saying he's the best we've had by a long chalk but I can't remember us getting tanked off anyone recently and the likes of Hamilton and quite a few others would bite your hand off to be in our position. We sack another manager when we are in the top six no one with any gravitas would touch us with a bargepole as they'd assume we have a fans with champagne tastes despite the lemonade budget and a reactionary board with an itchy trigger finger. Pay offs and hiring new staff doesn't come cheap either and we have eff all cash coming in, why waste what little we do have on replacing a mid-table manager with the exact same or possibly worse?

Personally I do not want him to be sacked,  but he does need someone from somewhere to point out the clear pattern in our piss poor start and poss poor last 3 results.  Amd then point out the difference in the run of games in between when we had excellent results.

Celtoc result apart pur results with Kabamba up top on his tod, have been s**te.

Ffs play another one up there  we do not have the players to play 1 up top.

28 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Personally I do not want him to be sacked,  but he does need someone from somewhere to point out the clear pattern in our piss poor start and poss poor last 3 results.  Amd then point out the difference in the run of games in between when we had excellent results.

Celtoc result apart pur results with Kabamba up top on his tod, have been s**te.

Ffs play another one up there  we do not have the players to play 1 up top.

Fair enough, can't disagree with that.