How does Alex Dyer smoothen Killie's topsy-turvy campaign?

AyrshireKillieG97

Think you’re being a bit simplistic in suggesting the covid was done and dusted after the isolation period - at least going on what AM said this week..

Let me tell you by 10pm at night I’m goosed, I still get sore heads, sore joints and by 10pm I’m asleep.

There are a few players who have had it who still feel it. There’s an after effect there’s no doubt about that.”

If Dundee United are a crap, former championship team - although with a significantly bigger budget than ourselves - perhaps thats why we ‘got away’ with 2 up top?   One of our centre halves simply isn’t quick enough to play 4 at the back IMO.

St Johnstone game was a stinker, but we’d one off the bar and a clear pen not given in the first half, is fine margins and I suspect with what Millen said about the after effects of covid, the boys simply weren’t up for playing 2 games in 5 days after a decent performance against a good Rangers side.  A Sevco side who almost beat Benfica at home, then took  8 (eight) off of Hamilton.

Excuses aside, much like the kids nursery rhyme, it’s better to be; ‘neither up, nor down’.

It might not be a popular opinion on here but I don’t think we should write off the 4-3-3/4-5-1. It was with this formation we picked up two of the wins. St Mirren away and Livi away. Tweaks are required and a high level of performance in the midfield three but it’s got a lot to offer

34 minutes ago, piffer said:

It might not be a popular opinion on here but I don’t think we should write off the 4-3-3/4-5-1. It was with this formation we picked up two of the wins. St Mirren away and Livi away. Tweaks are required and a high level of performance in the midfield three but it’s got a lot to offer

I don’t think it should be written off either, but if we are to get real success out of it then a fully fit Mulumbu has to be involved. It’s a completely different team with him in it and playing at the top of his game. At his best he gives us something that the other 3 simply don’t. Whether or not we can get him into peak condition is another question though.

You might get away with playing 4-4-2 against the weaker sides in the league, but it’s a recipe for disaster against the better sides. 

Our fullbacks are passengers. In all my time watching Killie, I don’t think I’ve ever seen us fail to stop as many crosses going into our box. There’s no urgency to put pressure on the the ball. They amble out and watch the ball go sailing over their heads. Invariably teams are targeting our back post, where our other fullback is usually static and ball watching as our opponents wide man steals in on their blindside. Their contribution going forward is almost nil. 

In midfield I’m struggling to think of any combination of a central midfield pairing, with the legs to get up and down the park all game and the creativity to pick passes to unlock defences. And I’ll be honest the idea of Kirk Broadfoot being left one on one, with a striker running at him, as our midfield struggle to get back, gives me the fear. 

Kiltie is wasted on the wing and I think even he’d admit that tracking back isn’t his favourite part of the game. However, dropping one of the few sparks of creativity in the team is unthinkable. Getting him involved in areas of the pitch where he can do real damage should be a priority. Those areas are central. Areas where he can pick up pockets of space and drive at players. Areas where he can play quick one-twos and spin off defenders. Areas where he can get shots away. 

Chris Burke. Does anyone remember Kris Boyd in his last seasons with us? We got the best out of him by letting him save his energy to do what he does best. It is an utter waste for us to use Burke to do Millen’s defending for 60-70 minutes and then subbing him because he’s knackered. It’s like getting a thoroughbred to pull a plough. Why would you do it?

When you look at our squad as a whole, we are strongest and have the most cover in the middle third. Dicker, Power, Tshibola, Mulumbu, Burke, Kiltie, McKenzie, Pinnock. We should play to our strengths. Dicker is fantastic at screening in front of our defence. Power and McKenzie can bring energy. Tshibolabrings composure. Mulumbu can pick those killer passes. We should get as many of them on the field as possible and control the game. 

Edited by Zorro

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

You might get away with playing 4-4-2 against the weaker sides in the league, but it’s a recipe for disaster against the better sides. 

Our fullbacks are passengers. In all my time watching Killie, I don’t think I’ve ever seen us fail to stop as many crosses going into our box. There’s no urgency to put pressure on the the ball. They amble out and watch the ball go sailing over their heads. Invariably teams are targeting our back post, where our other fullback is usually static and ball watching as our opponents wide man steals in on their blindside. Their contribution going forward is almost nil. 

In midfield I’m struggling to think of any combination of a central midfield pairing, with the legs to get up and down the park all game and the creativity to pick passes to unlock defences. And I’ll be honest the idea of Kirk Broadfoot being left one on one, with a striker running at him, as our midfield struggle to get back, gives me the fear. 

Kiltie is wasted on the wing and I think even he’d admit that tracking back isn’t his favourite part of the game. However, dropping one of the few sparks of creativity in the team is unthinkable. Getting him involved in areas of the pitch where he can do real damage should be a priority. Those areas are central. Areas where he can pick up pockets of space and drive at players. Areas where he can play quick one-twos and spin off defenders. Areas where he can get shots away. 

Chris Burke. Does anyone remember Kris Boyd in his last seasons with us? We got the best out of him by letting him save his energy to do what he does best. It is an utter waste for us to use Burke to do Millen’s defending for 60-70 minutes and then subbing him because he’s knackered. It’s like getting a thoroughbred to pull a plough. Why would you do it?

When you look at our squad as a whole, we are strongest and have the most cover in the middle third. Dicker, Power, Tshibola, Mulumbu, Burke, Kiltie, McKenzie, Pinnock. We should play to our strengths. Dicker is fantastic at screening in front of our defence. Power and McKenzie can bring energy. Tshibolabrings composure. Mulumbu can pick those killer passes. We should get as many of them on the field as possible and control the game. 

Well said. 

14 hours ago, killie89 said:

I don’t think it should be written off either, but if we are to get real success out of it then a fully fit Mulumbu has to be involved. It’s a completely different team with him in it and playing at the top of his game. At his best he gives us something that the other 3 simply don’t. Whether or not we can get him into peak condition is another question though.

Completely agree. We got an inkling of his talent in his cameo vs Rangers and from what I’ve heard, he strolled it against Clyde. He’s far too good a player at this level to be left on the bench.

I’m surprised there’s rumours flying around saying he’s still not fit enough, after 4 months at RP. He just needs game time and we’ll have an excellent player at our disposal every week. 

13 hours ago, Zorro said:

I completely agree with your first point. A stuffy midfield is needed against teams who can hurt you, like the current top 4.

I also agree with your last point. I genuinely think we have a really strong squad that can finish sixth or at the worst, seventh.