Dumbarton (Betfred) Match Fred

C4mmy31

I think haunstrup and McGowan have shown enough to be starters for Ross county. 
haunstrup in particular has a bit of skill and pace to burn which should give us another dimension going forward

mcgowans delivery was much better this week.

Whitehall and brophy did ok but didn’t set the world alight enough to go ahead of kabamba imo. 
mckenzie and Mulumbu strolled the games and it be harsh on either being dropped for next game. 
rossi was solid in both games which is good to see.

Think this year for us ( as well as the majority of other teams) will see a vast majority of players being deemed not good enough or moved on for the obvious financial  reasons of this season. As there will be limited chances to assess  how many of our fringe players can improve due to match fitness then its going to be a cheerio to many of them and its going to be a massive rebuilding  task for our club next season thats for sure!

One one hand slightly disappointed in the 2 games this past week and the pedestrian style of play ......but then when most teams make so many changes and even teams with squads full of quality players there is often an obvious lack of cohesiveness and edge to a game 

Still not sure what kind of player Pinnock is , as never a winger ...Whitehall can score but has an awful lot to improve on in other needed areas of his game to play at a higher level ....Brophy at times looks quality but he still needs to find better consistency and become more aware of others 

Plus points for these games was that Mulumbu proved his fitness and got match sharpness in his legs,  both full backs made a strong case for that first team slot , Rossi looks a decent back up defender, ....and we won 

Hands up who thinks we have looked consistently credible as an attacking force with 1 up front (Kabamba)? Three 0-1 scorelines in a row in the league.......

To not have Brophy or Whitehall beside or even Kiltie slightly behind him next week would beggar belief that we expect anything else to change. We must alter this rigid defensive shape AD has persisted with. 

I think we need to remember that for the past two games we have played with a completely different team to that which has been playing week in week out. Not only would that lack of time to gel have an effect on performances but also the fitness of players which is what I think we saw in the dying stages of this game. We did fine in both games this week with two clean sheets and plenty of minutes being given to the fringe players of our squad.

For my money, the two fullbacks have done well with both of them staking a claim to be included as part of the team for Ross County. Whitehall and Brophy have done fine without doing anything spectacular. I doubt they both will be starting next week, more likely Brophy will be partnered with Kabamba if we go with the 4-4-2. In regards to Pinnock, I don't think has done as badly as people here are making out but he's probably not done enough to push him ahead of the likes of Kiltie or McKenzie for a starting place.

16 minutes ago, casual observer said:

Hands up who thinks we have looked consistently credible as an attacking force with 1 up front (Kabamba)? Three 0-1 scorelines in a row in the league.......

To not have Brophy or Whitehall beside or even Kiltie slightly behind him next week would beggar belief that we expect anything else to change. We must alter this rigid defensive shape AD has persisted with. 

Mulumbu in the midfield instead of Power next week could offer a different dimension to the current favoured formation. A change of fullbacks may also offer something different.

With the one up front we were excellent at St Mirren. We got a comprehensive result at Livi. We also came right back into the Rangers game without changing the formation dramatically.

Writing off the formation is not the way forward for me. Making sure we have the right bodies in position and they are doing the job they are supposed to. When Power and Tish were supporting the front man the system worked. When they were sitting deeper and closer to Dicker it failed. 

Similar to others I think the two full backs did well. Millen has a mistake in him as proven, and although Waters is solid, he is also too safe, so I would consider changing them over to McGowan and Haunstrup. Mulumbu showed his class and got more time on the park, and Rossi did well too.

They were set up similar to what we would have been against the Old Firm so it was difficult to get between the lines. Pinnock and Whitehall didn’t offer enough to trouble the present first team incumbents in my opinion, and there wasn’t much to learn about the rest that we didn’t already know.

1 hour ago, piffer said:

Mulumbu in the midfield instead of Power next week could offer a different dimension to the current favoured formation. A change of fullbacks may also offer something different.

With the one up front we were excellent at St Mirren. We got a comprehensive result at Livi. We also came right back into the Rangers game without changing the formation dramatically.

Writing off the formation is not the way forward for me. Making sure we have the right bodies in position and they are doing the job they are supposed to. When Power and Tish were supporting the front man the system worked. When they were sitting deeper and closer to Dicker it failed. 

It also fails every time Kabamba is not a 9 out of 10 performance, which is sadly more often than not. Same has been true of Brophy as neither are consistent enough to rely on up there alone. We also don’t get central midfielders close enough often enough and are left relying on Burke and to a lesser extent Kiltie to create. 4-5-1 with our personnel in current formation I just don’t trust to get good results. St J being a prime current example. 

17 minutes ago, casual observer said:

It also fails every time Kabamba is not a 9 out of 10 performance, which is sadly more often than not. Same has been true of Brophy as neither are consistent enough to rely on up there alone. We also don’t get central midfielders close enough often enough and are left relying on Burke and to a lesser extent Kiltie to create. 4-5-1 with our personnel in current formation I just don’t trust to get good results. St J being a prime current example. 

No Burke, no creativity 

I get that he wanted squad players to get game time, I don't get why we couldn't have brought on some fresh legs with 25-30 minutes to go. We already know what Alan Power brings, we also know he's suspended for next game, so why didn't we have some time without him on the field to see how that played out?

Alternatively, give one or both of the youngsters a wee bit of game time... would surely boost their confidence levels being a part of a winning team.

We started at a good tempo, scored a nice goal, then settled back into our familiar pedestrian paced routine. Watching us approach the final third then stop, turn around and pass back allowing them to get in position is frustrating. Credit to them for changing early when they were getting roasted, and they kept their shape reasonably well after that.

Disappointed with Whitehall and Pinnock today, good to see YM get a bit more fitness in his legs.
Thought him, McGowan and Rory were best for us... this squad is screaming out for a forward thinking attack duck with pace.
To finish on a positive note, we scored 2 and kept a clean sheet.

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

I get that he wanted squad players to get game time, I don't get why we couldn't have brought on some fresh legs with 25-30 minutes to go. We already know what Alan Power brings, we also know he's suspended for next game, so why didn't we have some time without him on the field to see how that played out?

Alternatively, give one or both of the youngsters a wee bit of game time... would surely boost their confidence levels being a part of a winning team.

I’m surprised we didn’t offer minutes to Brindley or Taylor today. Even a brief run out. I think it was correct that most of the rest of the team got two full matches. We’ve been operating with too small a group for weeks. It was vitally important to get sharpness into these lads and give them a chance to stake a claim. 

I expect the only change from the last league game to be Mulumbu for Power.

McKenzie showed he was a first team player but Kiltie has done nothing wrong to get dropped. Tough decision for Ross County game.

Rossi showed he could fit in when suspensions and injuries kick in.

Two full backs on par with the two with the jerseys at the moment. They didn't have much defending to do so had a much freeer rein to get forward.

Brophy still 2nd choice attacker with Whitehall still third.

Pinnock an enthusiastic sub at best.

Learned nothing about the keepers.

26 minutes ago, MrTumnus said:

I expect the only change from the last league game to be Mulumbu for Power.

McKenzie showed he was a first team player but Kiltie has done nothing wrong to get dropped. Tough decision for Ross County game.

Rossi showed he could fit in when suspensions and injuries kick in.

Two full backs on par with the two with the jerseys at the moment. They didn't have much defending to do so had a much freeer rein to get forward.

Brophy still 2nd choice attacker with Whitehall still third.

Pinnock an enthusiastic sub at best.

Learned nothing about the keepers.

The fullbacks is the one where Dyer has a real choice to make. Millen I’d drop after recent performances. Waters I don’t think there’s as much of a case. As you say all at similar levels at the moment. I’m of the belief that the two who started today have the potential to get a lot better where the other two have hit their top level. Dyer now has to take the long term view as to what’s best for Killie. I’m not convinced he’ll change both immediately but I think he’ll change one.

It’s interesting you say Brophy is second choice and Whitehall third striker. That means Kabamba is first. I don’t think any of the three have been at first choice standard this season. Kabamba has shown in flashes but there’s been as many poor games as great ones. I’m confident Brophy and Kabamba have something to offer but I think a striker may be top of our shopping,list in January. 

5 minutes ago, piffer said:

The fullbacks is the one where Dyer has a real choice to make. Millen I’d drop after recent performances. Waters I don’t think there’s as much of a case. As you say all at similar levels at the moment. I’m of the belief that the two who started today have the potential to get a lot better where the other two have hit their top level. Dyer now has to take the long term view as to what’s best for Killie. I’m not convinced he’ll change both immediately but I think he’ll change one.

It’s interesting you say Brophy is second choice and Whitehall third striker. That means Kabamba is first. I don’t think any of the three have been at first choice standard this season. Kabamba has shown in flashes but there’s been as many poor games as great ones. I’m confident Brophy and Kabamba have something to offer but I think a striker may be top of our shopping,list in January. 

Whitehall looks the standard of the 2 teams we have just played.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Whitehall looks the standard of the 2 teams we have just played.

Midweek gave me hope. A quiet performance and two goals. Had he kicked on from that and given more of the same he may have given Dyer something to think about. Today I wasn’t impressed. He found himself in decent positions but didn’t do enough with any of the quality deliveries that have come his way. If he’s not taking chances your looking at link up play and providing for others. None of that was on show.

He's a bit of a strange signing when we think back. On trial for a prolonged period yet only deemed worthy of a short term contract and rarely utilised by the manager despite our desperation for goals on occasions. 

1 minute ago, piffer said:

Midweek gave me hope. A quiet performance and two goals. Had he kicked on from that and given more of the same he may have given Dyer something to think about. Today I wasn’t impressed. He found himself in decent positions but didn’t do enough with any of the quality deliveries that have come his way. If he’s not taking chances your looking at link up play and providing for others. None of that was on show.

He's a bit of a strange signing when we think back. On trial for a prolonged period yet only deemed worthy of a short term contract and rarely utilised by the manager despite our desperation for goals on occasions. 

Tbh I don’t think Kabamba is that far off his level either, one good game every 4 or 5 isn’t what we should be looking at

I thought we won? If I didn’t know the result and read some of these posts I’d have thought we would have got beaten!

Basically a whole new 11 the past couple of games than what we’d have usually played and two extremely comfortable victories. I suppose if it’s not 5/6-0 with the 2nd team it’s not good enough.

3 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

I thought we won? If I didn’t know the result and read some of these posts I’d have thought we would have got beaten!

Basically a whole new 11 the past couple of games than what we’d have usually played and two extremely comfortable victories. I suppose if it’s not 5/6-0 with the 2nd team it’s not good enough.

Not really the point 

The result was irrelevant.

The performance of certain individuals was all that mattered.

A defeat would have been mildly embarrassing but that’s all. Somebody was even posting, concerned about our GD in the final group! 

I haven’t even looked at the table to see where we finished. 

Edited by skygod

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

The result was irrelevant.

The performer of certain individuals was all that mattered.

A defeat would have been mildly embarrassing but that’s all. Somebody was even posting, concerned about our GD in the final group! 

I haven’t even looked at the table to see where we finished. 

Exactly, we’ve got decent back up in defence and midfield but very little up front where games are won

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Exactly, we’ve got decent back up in defence and midfield but very little up front where games are won

What was on show today wasn’t supposed to be our backup. The season has played out differently than many expected so far but at the start of the season Eastwood, McGowan, Broadfoot, Haunstrup, Power, Mulumbu(signed a bit later), Brophy and one of McKenzie and Pinnock would probably have been in our starting lineup.

Nothing more than a friendly game to give players a run out.Dyer knows what McKenzie,Mulumba ,Broadfoot and Brophy can do .The rest he should know they have been here long enough.If the haven’t nailed down a regular place by now there must be something wrong.I would imagine that Haunstrup and McGown are on a higher wage than the 2 full backs that are currently playing.Whithall will be away at the end of his contract without contributing much.I would imagine at least one of the fullbacks will get a chance against Ross County.