Best player / performance you have seen against Kilile

amc48c

August 97 at Easter Road. Tony Rougier showed how to play against ten men after Gus was sent off early. Pat Nevin filled in right back for 30 seconds in which he was walked past for their second goal. Never mentions it in his punditry! Rougier and Harper stayed out wide and destroyed us.

Worst refereeing performance I ever saw that day too. The guy (from Dumfries) was still being booed when warming up at RP to run the line years later!

This is maybe obscure but some of the oldies may recall the match. Would totally agree with prevous posts re outstanding performances Laudrup, Shearer, Dalglish, Djorkeff etc. All aforementioned outstanding players but all associated with big money clubs with resources far superior to what Killie could ever aspire to.

My left field pick played for a team of a similiar stature or even less than Killie, - St Johnstone. The player was John Connolly. In a game probably around the late sixties early seventies at RugbyPark he totally ran the game for ninety minutes. Everything he did was a class above anyone else on the park. He moved on to Everton a couple of years later and ended up at Gateshead in 1983 via Birmingham, Newcastle and Hibs amongst others.

As I say a fairly obscure choice but I still remember the quality of his performance that day.

58 minutes ago, killiefife said:

This is maybe obscure but some of the oldies may recall the match. Would totally agree with prevous posts re outstanding performances Laudrup, Shearer, Dalglish, Djorkeff etc. All aforementioned outstanding players but all associated with big money clubs with resources far superior to what Killie could ever aspire to.

My left field pick played for a team of a similiar stature or even less than Killie, - St Johnstone. The player was John Connolly. In a game probably around the late sixties early seventies at RugbyPark he totally ran the game for ninety minutes. Everything he did was a class above anyone else on the park. He moved on to Everton a couple of years later and ended up at Gateshead in 1983 via Birmingham, Newcastle and Hibs amongst others.

As I say a fairly obscure choice but I still remember the quality of his performance that day.

John's a frequent visitor to RP as a SPFL delegate. Both his sons were in the same Killie youth team as Hooky at one time.

7 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

Marek Heinz?

Mentioned him in a similar thread. He’s one of two opposition players I’ve clapped when they left the pitch due to their incredible performance. Ikpeazu of Hearts was the other, but for the opposite reason to Heinz.  A truly incredibly woeful performance to the point that he was actually more useful to us than his employer.

Many of the players mentioned are/were high profile and you’d expect them to be consistently performing at a level well above most of their peers in the league.

Sometimes you see (slightly) less talented players simply have a brilliant game where everything they do comes off and their team thrives on it. 

I remember a sound thrashing at RP from a David Fernandez inspired Livingston. After us scoring first, albeit an og, Fernandez was utterly fantastic, orchestrating a 1-5 defeat, which frankly flattered us. 

We had a pretty decent team at the time too, although we were missing Saint Frederic De Dindeleux, whose place in central defence that day was taken by someone whom you wouldn’t trust to procure you a creme egg lawfully. 

11 hours ago, Kfcinlancashire said:

Kenny Dalgleish in the Frank Beattie testimonial game. I know it was only a friendly and some of the invited players in the Killie side were well last their best but no one could get near him.

Absolutely. I was there too and couldn't believe that an obscure reserve player was tearing us  a new one. It was the first time I had seen a very muscular set of buttocks used to shield the ball in that way. It was a characteristic of his play, making him very difficult to dispossess him without fouling. 

3 hours ago, cammy2012 said:

John's a frequent visitor to RP as a SPFL delegate. Both his sons were in the same Killie youth team as Hooky at one time.

I remember him well and thought he was a smashing player. Graceful, two-footed, swift, flowing golden locks (at the time) and a good eye for goal.

6 hours ago, killie1961 said:

Yip also one Davy Cooper must have beat about half the killie team in a mazy run

Think they battered us 6-1 at RP that game in a League Cup tie. 

Cooper was immense.

Bizarrely for me I always remember players that lost against us.

Davie Weir when he was at Falkirk had a fantastic game against us but we still won 4-1

League cup semi v Falkirk and the Naisy hat trick ,but Russell Latapy was outstanding for the Bairns.

Unfortunately for him no one else was.

9 hours ago, piffer said:

Djorkaeff and Sforza for me when we played Kaiserslautern. Felt both were a cut above anything else I’d seen against us. Strolled through the game and clearly had more gears if required. 

Right in front of us in East Stand, Djorkaeff failed to control the ball, the only occasion in the game, and it bounced out for a shy. Cue booming voice: ‘You’re sh1te Djorkeff. 

11 hours ago, red_dug said:

I thought Newell was Blackburn best player that night. Remember being gutted when Aberdeen signed him, then he was terrible for them.

Yes- I remember that too. He was not their star player but was a standout. It felt they were toying with us! 

35 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Think they battered us 6-1 at RP that game in a League Cup tie. 

Cooper was immense.

Bizarrely for me I always remember players that lost against us.

Davie Weir when he was at Falkirk had a fantastic game against us but we still won 4-1

League cup semi v Falkirk and the Naisy hat trick ,but Russell Latapy was outstanding for the Bairns.

Unfortunately for him no one else was.

I remember one of Cooper's first games against us - I think we lost 4-1. It was such a novelty because Motherwell were Premier League and we were First Division or maybe even 2nd then. It was the first time I saw Kilie play against a premier league team. He totally strolled it. 

5 hours ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Worst refereeing performance I ever saw that day too. The guy (from Dumfries) was still being booed when warming up at RP to run the line years later!

I "self isolated" that day - i.e. left the ground before I got lifted - over that refereeing performance. Right up there with the very worst ever.