Eamon Brophy

Dave1981

55 minutes ago, All the Wine said:

Cos when we played to his strengths he looked excellent and got a Scotland cap. Simple really. Manager can't work out how to get nest out him imo. Him and Kabamba looked a decent partnership at times towards end of last season.

I've no doubt he's took the huff and his attitude is stinking this season but the point is if you think Whitehall and Kabamba are better you're a lunatic 

They both are and have shown a better attitude than Brophy this season so why play a player who doesn't do much when he comes on and shoots off target more often than not. 

Anyway if he was "excellent" why were no other clubs busting a gut to sign him ?  (Just also an added note, when we are playing to his strengths he only scored 11 goals in the season, hardly excellent stats)

44 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I'm not sure all that's to do with lack of investment as opposed to bad choices though. 

Word was that there were players identified that Alessio just discarded. He then shifted us to the disastrous agent based scouting that got us all those failed medicals. And spent the window chasing guys we could never get. Then the club admitted things were way wrong in the January window in terms of the systems they had in place for identifying players. 

It seems to me that there's been a perfectul reasonable budget available at all times and we've not been able to take advantage of it. Mulumbu will be on decent money and I get the impression we are paying decent ish money for McGowan and Haunstrup. 

I don't remember reading stories of us being priced out of players - the problem stemmed from not being able to identify them. 

Comparison to Hibs and United with far greater resources is a bit pointless. 

All of which to say, I'm not sure there is a lack of ambition so much as a lot of mistakes. 

United have far greater resources? Since when? They didn’t finish third in the SPL, sell Taylor to Tic and get compensation for Clarke. Yet they were prepared to push out the boat for Shankland. 
If you want even more obvious examples then O’Donnell left us for Motherwell and Brophy is now going to St Mirren. Are those bigger clubs than us? And then you have Dunfermline signing Nisbet, Gallacher going to Motherwell and Dykes and Forrest going to Livingston and there are others. I would rather have any of them than the the dross that we signed. So don’t tell me they have more resources than we do or our level of ambition is even lower than I thought it it was. 
As for the management team, our ambition extends to keeping probably  the worst manager in our post-war history in situ.
For transfers, the club say they got their transfer system wrong in January 2019. I didn’t see much of an improvement, if any, in summer 2019 and I won’t be holding my breath for this window either. 

I see a lack of ambition, you see mistakes. I don’t care too much what it is, it’s probably both. However, at the end of the day the impact of these failures is there for everyone to see. As Skydog pointed out we have 4 centre halves who are all out of contract this summer - how’s that for utter incompetence? 

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Those days are long gone, under the current setup and performances nobody at Killie will be in any national team in the near future and as for the English Premiership, your having a laugh.....

My point is about selling the club and opportunity. Sometimes that requires a bit of exaggeration or optimistic projections.

The facts, however, are that in the last 2 years we’ve transformed guys from Hamilton reserves, league 2 Luton, Newcastle reserves and a killie youth set up to full internationals. Taken others from the scrap heap to become old firm players. We retain strong links with the national team manager. These would be points that should be getting shouted out when we meet transfer targets. 

9 minutes ago, skygod said:

Shields' record at National League Aldershot - 1 goal in 17(5) - isn't very exciting. 

Four goals in his last three matches is a hot streak but it should be viewed in perspective.

Agreed perspective needs to be taken into account. With regards his time at Aldershot he is/ wasa young man who moved to another country by himself and not knowing anyone, could have taken him some time to bed in and find form. He has had decent success in Scottish League one, and is potentially finding his feet now in a new team and starting to score goals in the championship.

I work with a QOTS fan and the fans seem to rate him highly and want the club to get him tied down on a longer deal. 

Only way the club are going to know what kind of person and player he is, is if they have talks with him.

2 minutes ago, MuirP said:

Agreed perspective needs to be taken into account. With regards his time at Aldershot he is/ wasa young man who moved to another country by himself and not knowing anyone, could have taken him some time to bed in and find form. He has had decent success in Scottish League one, and is potentially finding his feet now in a new team and starting to score goals in the championship.

I work with a QOTS fan and the fans seem to rate him highly and want the club to get him tied down on a longer deal. 

Only way the club are going to know what kind of person and player he is, is if they have talks with him.

It’s a tricky one. If his record was progressive and unblemished others would be on the scent. We need to find folks where there is reason for why they are better than current position suggests. Things happening in their lives, got beyond things previously holding them back. Like shankland with the improved fitness. People coming in from other leagues to showcase talents- dykes or Robert. 

1 hour ago, Mcd said:

We are in real danger of slipping back into the dark days prior to the SC appointment even the media at that time talked about the apathy around rugby park

I'd say dark days prior to Bobby Fleeting at this rate.

The incompetence and mismanagement by the board is appalling and has been for a while.

Locke, Clark , McCulloch. 

150th anniversary a damp squib.

Failing to build on the Clarke feelgood factor.

The Alessio months. 

The Dyer full time appointment. 

I'm going to excuse the James Fowler appointment as he has had to contend with the global pandemic for effectively all but 3 months of his time.

i see a lack of managment in  all areas and gross incompetance

how can we afford to let an international prospect go and replace with non league players 

if i was brophy i would be off as well ,boy was looking a great player (not just goals )

but has gone backwards due to not playing regularly and with current managment team in place

maybe its not just being out of favour hes downed tools but because of the s**t show way club is being run

3k a week for Brophys services is outrageous. He’s never worth that. If the reason he didn’t sign his new deal with us is because of money he can get hunted. He has offered very little since Steve Clark left. Nothing but a mercenary. You won’t be missed son. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

We have Fowler and Dyer playing a part in player recruitment. Are they a strong enough partnership to fulfill this role?

This is the problem for me. I don’t think they are on the same page at all. When you listen to Fowler he has a clear vision for the club promoting youth. Dyer so far hasn’t been doing this. He’s reluctant to give kids a chance.

The other issue which was highlighted this time last year. Fowler could go to Dyer with Sergio Ramos as an option but he’d knock him back because he’s a prick. Dyer has this fascination of signing beautiful human beings where others are interested in signing winners. I’ve never heard a manager speak about what a great person a signing is anywhere near as much as Dyer does.

I just don’t think they are a working partnership which is best for the club. Dyers record suggests he needs to depart and we need to see more from Fowler to suggest he’s worth the salary

Im not going to lose any sleep over Brophy leaving as I think his mind has been elsewhere for a while now and that’s been reflected in his performances. It’s just bitterly frustrating that we couldn’t cash in on him and other obvious players when their stock was at the highest. That’s something we really need to address going forward.

Where I am concerned in the immediate future is I have absolutely no faith that Dyer and Fowler will adequately replace him. Not one of Dyers signings has really set the heather on fire and really made a big impact on the team. Most players he signs tend to sit warming the bench for weeks and only end up getting thrown into the starting line up in acts of desperation 

6 minutes ago, Pieboy said:

3k a week for Brophys services is outrageous. He’s never worth that. If the reason he didn’t sign his new deal with us is because of money he can get hunted. He has offered very little since Steve Clark left. Nothing but a mercenary. You won’t be missed son. 

If true.... Any of our squad would walk to Paisley for 3k a week on a 3 year deal, don't kid yourself on he'd be the only mercenary. Oh, and he will be missed.

Edited by C4mmy31

11 minutes ago, Pieboy said:

On the bench or dropped from now on. GTF Wolf!

8 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

If true.... Any of our squad would walk to Paisley for 3k a week on a 3 year deal, don't kid yourself on he'd be the only mercenary. Oh, and he will be missed.

I’ll miss the same as I’ve missed him for the last 18 month. There was a player there. He’s been on a long break and we need to win football matches. No loss whatsoever based on form over this period.

44 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

They both are and have shown a better attitude than Brophy this season so why play a player who doesn't do much when he comes on and shoots off target more often than not. 

Anyway if he was "excellent" why were no other clubs busting a gut to sign him ?  (Just also an added note, when we are playing to his strengths he only scored 11 goals in the season, hardly excellent stats)

11 goals last season, 12 the year before. Ten of the 23 from the penalty spot. Add in at least one freekick that I can recall and that averages out at six goals a season from open play. Let’s hope Goodwin doesn’t complete due diligence on his star signing before wasting £3k a week on him. 

35 minutes ago, historyman said:

United have far greater resources? Since when? They didn’t finish third in the SPL, sell Taylor to Tic and get compensation for Clarke. Yet they were prepared to push out the boat for Shankland. 
If you want even more obvious examples then O’Donnell left us for Motherwell and Brophy is now going to St Mirren. Are those bigger clubs than us? And then you have Dunfermline signing Nisbet, Gallacher going to Motherwell and Dykes and Forrest going to Livingston and there are others. I would rather have any of them than the the dross that we signed. So don’t tell me they have more resources than we do or our level of ambition is even lower than I thought it it was. 
As for the management team, our ambition extends to keeping probably  the worst manager in our post-war history in situ.
For transfers, the club say they got their transfer system wrong in January 2019. I didn’t see much of an improvement, if any, in summer 2019 and I won’t be holding my breath for this window either. 

I see a lack of ambition, you see mistakes. I don’t care too much what it is, it’s probably both. However, at the end of the day the impact of these failures is there for everyone to see. As Skydog pointed out we have 4 centre halves who are all out of contract this summer - how’s that for utter incompetence? 

Just to be clear, I wasn't defending the board. I agree there's been incompetence since Dyer left. The summer window after Clarke left is unforgivably and lost us any advantage we had and progress we had made at a stroke 

I just don't quite agree with some on the forums that everything is a result of the board picking the cheap option, not caring, not showing ambition etc. 

I think Bowie is over loyal to Dyer without a doubt, and should replace him. But I also believe that we would replace with a decent appointment and back that appointment with signings within our budget. Don't buy they "he'd give it to Millen" chat at all. 

On ambition my point was mainly this season - all the examples you gave barring Brophy are from last year. I don't see clubs around us this year pushing the boat out for anyone and I think that's the right approach. 

The most direct year on year comparison to us would be Motherwell who finished high in the league, got European football and sold an asset. They've signed from roughly the same pool as us, not signed that many and they've turned out to be equally poor. (although I'd have Watt over Whitehall to be fair) 

That suggests to me that it's an incredibly difficult market and that clubs better run than ours are equally being cautious about their business. 

2 hours ago, historyman said:

The current cheap approach has been going on long before the current pandemic. 
For example, Taylor leaves for what is expected to be a reasonably high fee and we replace him a young reserve fullback from QPR on loan. 
Bachmann leaves and we replace him two poor goalkeepers - the supposed first choice of them on loan. 
Jones leaves and we didn’t even attempt to replace him at all that summer. 
The January 2019 window displayed an incredible lack of any ambition that had fans up in arms.
AA brings in a load of crap loan signings - that tells you what the budget was.  
And finally when AA is sacked we bring in a guy in his mid 50’s with no experience as manager to manage the team.  

Lack of investment and desire to take the club forward has been evident long before the current pandemic so I don’t accept that for one minute as the reason for our approach. As an example, Dundee Utd, now just promoted, brought in Shankland and McNulty in the same period. Hibs have invested in players like Nesbit and now St Mirren are taking Brophy on a three year deal. It is no surprise to me that they will be finishing above us in the league. 

Those running the club have cut costs by a significant amount in terms of the management team and the playing squad and the evidence of that is on the park, available for us all to see.

As someone else said on another thread - are we now just happy to accept second best? 

Correct. No plan. No strategy. No ambition. Some feat taking us from 3rd to this in less than 2 years. Pathetic. Scunnered.

14 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

On ambition my point was mainly this season - all the examples you gave barring Brophy are from last year. I don't see clubs around us this year pushing the boat out for anyone and I think that's the right approach. 

The most direct year on year comparison to us would be Motherwell who finished high in the league, got European football and sold an asset. They've signed from roughly the same pool as us, not signed that many and they've turned out to be equally poor. (although I'd have Watt over Whitehall to be fair) 

That suggests to me that it's an incredibly difficult market and that clubs better run than ours are equally being cautious about their business. 

Of course the examples I gave are from last season. You were making the point that no teams were making important signings at the moment because of the pandemic and Killie were no exception to this. 
I was making the point that they were  already behind other clubs in terms of a decent level of activity last year before the pandemic hit.

As for this window it’s early days, I remain to be convinced that we will come out of it stronger than we go into it.  

2 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

16 appearances, 0 goals for Carlisle. Not the end of the world I don't think.

Yes but if it is true it means that  livingston are offering better contracts than us.

I’m not too fussed at missing out on Gavin Reilly either but it does worry me that if can’t attract someone like him how are we going to strengthen our attack - which has to be the key priority along with a goalkeeper. 

I think people have some genuine concerns about our transfer policy but talk of St Mirren spending 3k a week on Brophy are talking nonsense, I am willing to bet that they would not go over 2k at most.

For me the key to a good transfer policy is shopping in different markets, while the lower leagues in England may have some hidden gems there is a reason that many of these players are playing at that level. I would like us to make better use of the Scottish lower leagues, surely we should know our own market enough to identify good up and coming players that we can attract on the promise of coming in developing them and putting them on a stage where they can try and earn a move down to England. 

13 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

Quite mad to see comments from fans claiming Brophy is s**te now that he seems to be off. The guy is a 10+ goals a season striker, which for us is important.

Not to mention the important ones he has scored for us over the years.

Embarrassing

Done the same with Jordan Jones.

Yes, a dick.

But what a player for us.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I'm not one to defend Gary Locke, but I think his status as our worst ever manager is secure. It wasn't just losing every week - it was being completely humiliated by 3 or 4 goals every week. 

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

Of course the examples I gave are from last season. You were making the point that no teams were making important signings at the moment because of the pandemic and Killie were no exception to this. 

Crossed wires. Absolutely agree on our lack of business in terms of the pre-contracts previously. From examples from other clubs, it does seem that taking from the leagues below is a better strategy (or at least no worse a strategy) than getting in guys like Pinnock. 

We keep making it more difficult for ourselves with managers. I reckon Gallagher might have been interested if it wasn't for Clarke obviously leaving and not know who you'd get. It's the same this season. You'd have no confidence at all Dyer would still be manager come the summer.