Colin Meldrum v Dundee

Dave1981

16 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Pretty sure one of his most memorable mistakes was against Hibs at home in a game live on Sky Sports when we won 4-2 with P.Wright scoring 2 goals.  Great turn out crowd wise aswell if I remember rightly for an evening game.  

Post match interview, Melly got man of the match, Bunion looked perplexed. And after the presentation, Bunion says to Melly 'How did you get that?'

6 hours ago, Pompey Repatriated said:

Cheers. Meldrum was THE backup keeper for most my time following killie in the 90's. Apparently didn't leave till 2004!

Only 45 years old, also from killie. Anyone know who he supports?

He was a Kilmarnock fan growing up, used to run rings round him as a child, unfortunately so did most professionals!

Meldrum despite his limited talents had a reasonable career though mostly as a back up keeper ......though I was never confident when he did play for us 

But he was miles ahead of “little” Chad Harpur......still get shivers recalling his so called performance for us especially v Gretna 

Edited by Scouser2

19 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

I dont remember him ever, ever keeping a clean sheet!

Kept one on his debut v thistle (see above) 

At least 16 by my count. 0-0 v celtic 94, 0-0 v united 99, 2-0 v hibs 04, 2-0 v united 02, 2-0 v sheep 03, 3-0 v saints 02, 1-0 v well 97, 3-0 v hibs 99, 2-0 v sheep 99, 2-0 v celtic 97, 4-0 v livi 03, 2-0 v kr 99, 1-0 v jags 03, 1-0 v well 97, 1-0 v saints 98.

Accuracy varies, depending on whether I've noted the lineups/score correctly. No bad for a backup. 

2 hours ago, Mojike and Bod said:

A diabolical goalkeeper. Does anyone have the link to the 6 goals he shipped at Stirling? Tommy Tait even lobbed him FFS.

He was far from the worst IMO, but having said that very very far from the best also!

We were spoiled for goalies in those days and he was nothing like the quality of Stewart, McCulloch, Lekovic, Marshall, etc so got it in the neck.

Also like a lot of our home grown "talent" he seemed to get a rougher ride from the fans than the signings.

Think his confidence and his reputation both took a big knock on the first day of a season when we were well in a game against DeadCo at Greyskull and he fumbled one in under next to no pressure. From then on I think the nerves and the pressure got the better of him.

The season when our two main keepers were Melly and Dubourdeau was truly depressing. Dubourdeau - now he was TRULY diabolical!

3 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Dubourdeau - now he was TRULY diabolical!

Diving away from a shot...

As for Melly claiming he was a sheep. He's about 8/9 months older than me. He'd probably have become interested in football round about the time they were winning everything, and we were getting leathered off Dundee united etc? Early 80s.

6 hours ago, CB said:

Kept one on his debut v thistle (see above) 

At least 16 by my count. 0-0 v celtic 94, 0-0 v united 99, 2-0 v hibs 04, 2-0 v united 02, 2-0 v sheep 03, 3-0 v saints 02, 1-0 v well 97, 3-0 v hibs 99, 2-0 v sheep 99, 2-0 v celtic 97, 4-0 v livi 03, 2-0 v kr 99, 1-0 v jags 03, 1-0 v well 97, 1-0 v saints 98.

Accuracy varies, depending on whether I've noted the lineups/score correctly. No bad for a backup. 

I remember the 3-0 at Easter Road in 99. I think he managed to crock one of our centre backs (Lauclan?) early and a young kid midfielder came on. We were up against it most of he game. Both Reilly and Michael Jeffrey scored that day so it was a strange one all round!

I'm with the 'not great but we've had worse' camp here.

1 hour ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Grew up round the corner from me. For reasons unknown he said he supported Aberdeen. I believe others in his family were Killie fans though, possibly his dad.

I used to travel to Glasgow on the train with his Dad many moons ago. His Dad was definitely an Aberdeen supporter.

51 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

I remember the 3-0 at Easter Road in 99. I think he managed to crock one of our centre backs (Lauclan?) early and a young kid midfielder came on. We were up against it most of he game. Both Reilly and Michael Jeffrey scored that day so it was a strange one all round!

I'm with the 'not great but we've had worse' camp here.

Doesn't show the crocking. But, the lad Davidson was one of the used subs that day.

Yes Davidson was the young lad. If I remember the incident Meldrum came charging to the edge of box, slid in and made contact with Jim Lauchlan. It was early on either just before or just after Mavis scored.

The two other goals were pretty late on and I remember it being a struggle as we were under pressure but Meldrum didn't need to do much!

Thanks for posting highlights one of the happier memories.